1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mordaunt-Short Avant 908 Wiring

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by pjroyal, May 18, 2005.

1. pjroyal

pjroyal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of upgrading my fronts to MS 908's which include the sub woofer. I've had a look at the online manual but am confused about how the subs should be wired.

If I take the sub Woofer line out from my Marantz 5200 amp to one of the speakers does it also have a line out to connect to the other front?

Have both speakers got a line out so I could connect to my existing sub as well?

Any views on these speakers would be appreciated.

2. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    The Avant 908 does NOT have a subwoofer built in and the only inputs on them are the conventional 2 pairs of binding posts to allow for bi-wiring.

They are best thought of as 3 way speakers where the 10" bass driver just happens to be on the side of the cabinet, so for an A/V system you will still need a separate subwoofer.

The only MS speakers that can be wired as you suggest are the THX series 502's. These have a side firing 10" driver that is powered by it's own 150W amplifier and is a proper subwoofer. There are 2 pairs of terminals for inputs to the main drivers plus a subwoofer line in on the amplifier and a line out to the second speaker, which also has another line out so you can run your current sub as well, if you really want 3 subs!! :eek:

Hope this helps!

3. pjroyal

pjroyal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the clarification Beobloke. I'll rethink my upgrade options.