1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mordaunt-Short Avant 905 centre

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MS-Yam, Oct 3, 2004.

1. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally, after much skimping and saving, i've got together my full Avant 5.1 speaker package consisting of 906 fronts, 905 centre and 902 rears. :thumbsup:
    I am over the moon having upgraded from the satellite premiere package, which dont get wrong are great, but I now have a much more powerful sound with a nice full midrange.

My only slight concern is with the centre speaker. It sounds perfect until I turn the volume quite loud i.e. anything past -40db. It has a very full sound which shows no signs of weakness at all, but at this sort of volume and beyond, dialogue tends to be a little overwhelming, perhaps slightly 'boomy'.

Now, I think one of the main reasons for this is my room is quite small, only around 4m square. What I am wondering is whether anybody else here has the same centre speaker, and what your thoughts are about it. I have to say though it is 100% better than the 304 centre from the premiere package. That was the opposite, it lacked midrange, which was very noticeable when the volume was turned low (dialogue was a struggle to hear sometimes).

I may try altering the settings on my amp (Yamaha 640SE), maybe lowering the output of the centre channel.

Let me know your thoughts guys :smashin:

2. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I have a 905 but not the Avant version. My room is a little smaller than yours and I don't notice any difference regardless of the volume. Regularly watch DVD's at -30db and there is no difference in clarity compared to, say -50db. It could either be a connection problem or a setting on your amp. If it's any help, I have my speaker set at -4.5db on a Pioneer D912 amp.

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I would say -40 is not loud at all ,have you set the levels up correctly(using a slp meter).I normally listen to dvd's at -25 wich is loud enough for my small room.Have you got the speaker set to small that may help.

4. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Forgot to add that I have mine set to large but that's only because I don't have a sub.

5. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys, I will try changing the settings on my amp, cheers.