1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mordaunt Short Avant 903S

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dazzer123, Apr 23, 2004.

1. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi just purchased the 903 Avants and have a question, the box and the speakers clearly say Avant 903 on them but the radial ribbing is not present on the CPC Cones, yet when I look at the picture of the 903 Avants on the Mordaunt website the ribbing is there on the cones could someone explain why this would be the case

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    The small 3.5in driver doesn't have the ribbing because it has never exhibited the fractional flexing that the larger 5.25in did. We also thought it looked a bit silly on the small driver. The Avant version has the new surround and an improved crossover but no ribs!

3. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that I thought I would check as the PDF on the Mordaunt site states the following under the features list

Latest generation CPCTM driver assembly
    Radial ribbed anodized aluminum cones
    For critical rigidity at cone edges
    Forward-roll surround edge for optimal
    Decoupling and lower distortion
    Vented formed steel chassis

And the photograph clearly shows the ribbing on the 903 maybe this should be corrected as it is a little misleading.

Another question would the MS304 centre be ok as a rear centre speaker in my current configuration.

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    Last question first- the 304 is an excellent choice for centre rear as you can wall mount it. It has exactly the same drivers as the 903 and is tonally identical.

The web info is indeed incorrect so I will be flaying a computer person to change it later. As I said we did try ribbing the small driver but there was no sonic/aesthetic point- the photo'd unit is a statc model with those drivers- I shall try and get it changed.

5. AlonsodeRojas

AlonsodeRojas
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have two avant 903s and I use them as my desktop speakers for my computer.
    I have two questions:

1. Are these speakers suited for front use instead of using them as rear speakers?

2. Is this amplifier ideal for this set of speakers:

http://www.amazon.es/dp/B008Y7S378/...TF8&colid=34KBWXS8UX3ZC&coliid=I23HVSHX17ZUBV

2,1. Would this one be better or worse (judging by the W) I dont really need that much power just clear sound.

http://www.amazon.es/Muse-A1CE40126...m_sbs_e_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=16FTQ217JGK3M2XG8VS6

Than you very much.