Mordaunt short 914 and 912

Julius

Standard Member
Reaction score
First of all hi to all of you :hiya: after lurking for weeks I just registered :thumbsup:

I purchased a Marantz 5400ose a few weeks back and am now trying to find a nice set of speakers.

One of the options is MS914 as front and MS912 as rears. I found a good deal for both but it is only valid for black or cherry where currently they are listed in black and maple on the MS website.

My first question is if the only difference for the currently sold speakers is the colour or if there also have been updates internally?

Second question I hope you can give input to is how the Avant 905 centre speaker matches to these speakers!

Thanks!

I have the cherry 914's and the 905 in cherry, and they match very well.

I know the rest of the 900 series range (including the 905) had some reworkings done internally and are now called the 900 Avant series. BUT, I'm not sure if the MS914 was part of this update?

The best person to ask is a guy called Tons Of Fun, but I'm sure he will be along shortly when he see;s the title of this thread.

The 912/4 were designed some time after the other 900 series units and did not get changed over when the Declaration units became Avant. Thus the difference between Kazman's cherry pair and a maple pair is 2mm of wrap. If you have the space to do it, a system of 914 fronts, 504 centre and 912 rears with 909 sub would give you a very capable system indeed.

I cannot say too much about it but 912/4 are scheduled for a rework in 2005 which will give a fair indication of where we are heading next.

Thanks for the input :thumbsup:

I am indeed considering 914, 912 and 909 but was looking at the 905 as a centre. Any specific reason why you mention 504 instead?

Specwise it looks slightly different in size and has different x-over.

I have the Avant 906 fronts, 905 centre and 902 rears, all in maple, and am very pleased with them. I personally prefer the more square look of the Avant rather than the rounded edge look of the 914 and 912.

I havent heard the ones you mention but I can tell you the Avants are very cable indeed.

The 504 is a complete style match for the 912/5 as it still has the rounded edge. Sonically an Avant 905 is not going to stick out but it will look different.

Tis tough. Today I listened to 908 with 902, 905 also very nice. A tad more expensive though.

Heard the 908 side by side with B&W601. Preferred the 908 though. Did not find a place where they could put 908 and 914 side by side.

The 906s are quite a bit cheaper than the 908s and still pack some punch! If you are using a seperate sub, there is no need to go for the 908. Even without a sub, the 906 give a very good low end performance.

Well I heard them side by side and did prefer the 908 for music. Besides that I get a very good deal on them... :D

Now let's wait and see if they really sell the Avant 908 as they claim. Referred to as 908R by the shop :rotfl:

Order for the 905c, 2x 902 and 909 is also out :D

If it is in maple it is Avant. The other way to tell is the ribbing marks on the drivers- Avant has them declaration do not.

They are in black... and I haven't had the chance to look at them. Might be they are declarations then, do they have the rounded look or are they similar to the Avant look?

If there is a curve on the leading edge of the side panels and no ribbing marks on the drivers, they are declaration.

THanks!

Well I called the guy and I asked him are they Avant... yes he said, 908R but my guess is that is more referring to the right speaker then to the type right :D ?

908 Right. It should say Avant in big letters on the box.

LMFAO.

I checked with another guy from the same shop. I referred to the Avant speaker set I had reserved yesterday. He replied that it could not be the case since first of all they were Declarations and second he only had 'right' speakers left... :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom