• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mordaunt Short 905i Calvados

• Thread starter Deleted member 45086
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45086

Hi folks,

I am after a bit of help in trying to source a MS 905i in Calvados. I understand they are now discontinued, and stocks are low.

Hoping that you friendly lot find somewhere I haven't tried.

Always appreciated for your help.

Laserline showed stock, but have been emailed they have none. Have to wait till Monday for a reply from them and MS.

thanks

neuty

Last edited by a moderator:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
I would keep looking until you find one, even if it's second hand off the classifieds or ebay.

I see you have the 304 currently and that does work, but having used both, the 905 is much better.

If you do get stuck, the Aviano range that replaces the Avant's may work, though the whathifi review of the Aviano1s seemed to possibly indicate that the Avianos were a little smoother than the avant's. I say possibly, because i found that aspect of the review a little unclear and definitely not well written.

Negatives are remarkably few. Despite the Avianos quite un-M-S-like conviviality, you’ll still need to pay due attention to system-matching: avoid clinical-sounding electronics unless you want all the warmth leeched from your recordings.

Mordaunt-Short Aviano 1 Hi-fi speaker review - from the experts at whathifi.com

D

Deleted member 45086

Thanks for the reply dicklodge.

I am hunting as we speak. Just hoping that Laserline can source one, but I am making a list to make calls tomorrow.

The 902i's made a huge difference to my 302's, so the 905i should give great results compared to the 304.

I wont give in till I find one. :D

I may consider the Aviano, but not sure about the Rosewood matching Calvados.

neuty

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
Hi Neuty,

good center speaker as dicklodge mentioned - were r u going to put it, i think i remember you didn't have too much space;)

Hard to track down that colour - had a look and came up blank:thumbsdow

D

Deleted member 45086

Gonna do a little re- arranging, so as to fit in.

Are you thinking back to the NeilF thread maybe ?

They are very hard to find in Calvados, and worse trying to match other brands if needed.

The Aviano will be a back up choice, but would really like the 905i.

Hopefully I will be lucky tomorrow.

Richer Sounds have 4 at 4 different stores, but they are London based and further.
Might have to take a big drive out :eek:.

neuty

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
Yeah, was thinking you were NeilF - oops!

You could always try phoning Richer Sounds, pay over the phone and organise your own courier to pick it up. You never know, they might do it - no harm in asking;)

D

Deleted member 45086

Found one :thumbsup: Found 4 infact. Forum Hifi had 3 boxed and 1 on display.

I nearly wet myself.

Should arrive in 2 days.

thanks all.

neuty

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
That's great news :thumbsup: I'll file that source away as info for any other people looking.

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
Found one :thumbsup: Found 4 infact. Forum Hifi had 3 boxed and 1 on display.

I nearly wet myself.

Should arrive in 2 days.

thanks all.

neuty

Nice one:D

Its a beefy center compared to the 304 - enjoy:clap:

teejay72

Standard Member
Thanks to all in this thread - I've also picked up a Calvados 905i...

...my living room is beginning to take shape!

Panny G10 TV - tick
MS 905i - tick
MS 914i - tick
CA 640A - tick

Still to get - Yamaha RXV765
MS 902i (or 903i)
MS 309i

Looking forward to my next pay day and ticking off some more gear! :clap:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Still to get - Yamaha RXV765
MS 902i (or 903i)
MS 309

Bear in mind that the Yamaha has a global crossover setting, so the choice is for all speakers. The 903is have a lowest frequency response of 120HZ, which means that 120HZ has to be your crossover (technically possibly higher as the 120HZ may be the -3db point). This means, you won't be getting the best out of your 914i front speakers.

The 902is go much lower, so the more normal 80HZ can be set as the crossover.

Unless you want the 903s for the fact that they are dipole speakers, or mounting issues, I would go with the 902s. If you do want dipole speakers, I would look at the monitor Audio range so that you aren't constrained in the crossover choice. They will be a different make to the fronts, but tonal matching of the surrounds, though desirable, isn't essential.

In my view, the 902is make great surround speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom