1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mordaunt Short 904S

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dazzer123, Apr 17, 2004.

1. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi just purchased some of these as an upgrade from my Panasonic SCHT900 all in one system but I feel I have a problem and that is i don’t seem to be getting any bass from my 904s or my 905 centre and they don’t seem to sound much better than my sub sat system I am running them from a pioneer vsx 912 purchased to run the 904s what is at fault receiver or speakers any advice.

There seems to be plenty of treble and no bass midrange just the reason I upgraded from my panny 900 system and I am left feeling very disappointed shelling out the dosh and not seaming to gain anything in performance do I need to load the speakers with sand before I get any real base from them? I have the 904s bi wired is this a good or a bad thing please help.

2. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    the 904s need a sub.also make sure you have set front speakers to 'large' so the full 20-20k bandwidth gets sent to them

i personally would have gone for the 906s and, if you don't want a sub, the 908s.

hths- don't get me wrong, MS's are superb speakers, but I really wouldn't run a movie solely thru 904s

3. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi thanks for your reply I have upstairs a pair of Eltax Liberty 5+ loudspeakers and I thought the MS904S would be a step up but for sound there is no comparison the Eltax are great, I must say I am a little disappointed that the 904s need a sub running along side of them because they can not deliver any bass.

I would have thought in stereo they could have coped on their own but even then a sub is required I now feel I made a mistake in purchasing them and wonder whether I should waste any more money on the 903 rears maybe I should have gone for the Kef coda series.

I wonder if Richer fancy doing me a swap:(

4. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rcihers do an exchange thing, as long as you haven't had them for over 14 days then you can swap them or get a refund.

5. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi ShinObiWAN cheer's for that I thought they did something like that, I have had them for 7 days now but my problem is finding a speaker of a similar size that sounds better than these, also the 904s are about the sexiest speakers I have ever seen I want a matching set front center and rears and the rears need to be reasonably small preferably bipolars and a similar price to the MS package any ideas.

6. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought you said the sound was dissappointing? You mentioned that the ancient Liberty 5's beat them!

Sounds like your confused to me.

I'd personally go look at the second hand market as any £250 speaker is dissappointing to my ears.

7. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes I am disappointed with the sound of the 904S they sound poor very little bass with extremely bright treble not my cup of tea at all, so to sum it up they look great but sound some what poor where as my Liberty 5+ don’t look anything special but they generally sound a lot better than the 904S for less money.

8. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    how about paying another £50 and getting the Mordaunt Short 914s? Fantastic reviews recently- they look similar to the 904s but have a larger (16cm as opposed to 13cm) bass unit.

get Richers to line them side by side and do a demo. you should be surprised :)

The Eltax Liberty's are supposed to be pretty good for Eltaxs, but I personally wouldn't recommend any Eltaxs over any Mordaunt Shorts. Theres no competition.

9. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers but cant see any 914S on richers website just 904S and 906S.

10. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Right then, before we start talking about changing things around, there are a couple of points and actions you can take to maximise the low end on the 904
    Run them in- really run them in, 70 hours + is what we would give a review sample, so give them a thrashing.
    Are you biwiring? both the 902 and 904 benefit from doing so- even if it is from single amp terminal to twin speaker terminals.
    Mass loading; filling the mass load chamber with dry sand, powdered cement or best of all Atabites, significantly improves the low end clout.
    Check distance from wall and toe in; 15-20cm is ideal separation from the wall and if you are close to the speakers, give them a couple of degrees of toe in.

If this isn't enough, as Rozzar says, there other options. The 904 cabinet is significantly smaller than the Liberty 5, so the absolute LFE will be lower. The 914 is a little bigger than the Eltax so doesn't have this problem but it has the older styling so looks slightly different- you have been warned :). The 906 is identical in styling terms and has a greater low end performance (although not quite as much as the 914) than the 904. Alternatively, an MS309 subwoofer (recently praised to the hills by WHF) would keep the 904's on view and give you all the low end you wanted.
    Hope this helps
    Ed

11. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your input Tons of Fun I will have to consider my options even if I could get hold of the 914S they are a little larger than I wanted, as I have said previously I would like to keep the 904S as I really like the look of them but I do not like relying on a sub woofer for music as I feel it can sometimes sound a little unnatural.

I have been running the 904S for a week now at low volume and yesterday decided to ramp it up a little I did get some bass from them but I was driving them quite a bit and could not listen at those sort of volumes all of the time.

So it would seem my problem is with getting any sort of depth at what I would call a low to moderate volume I think the thing that took me by surprise the most is the fact that the treble is so bright or harsh or in my terms really in my face.

I do have them toed in a little towards the listening position and they are bi wired although at this point the 905C is not bi wired, as I say I will have to consider my options I have looked at possible replacements but in the same price bracket there does not seem to be anything quite as nice looking.

My friend also has an MS904 set up although he has Declaration apposed to my Avant series and he said his seemed to sound better after a couple of month and up to date he has not mass loaded his but if it is something that will give me some improvement perhaps I should look in to it sooner rather than later if I decide to keep hold of them oh and by give them a thrashing would you say that after a week at low volume it was now safe to really give them a thrashing.

12. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    This is a definate sign, that more running in won't do any harm. The MS tweeter has been through about 9 versions in 20 years and whilst once it has been completely run in it is detailed and fluid, it generally has a habit of taking your face off before it is properly settled in. The Pioneer won't be helping things here. When I had an AX3 at home, I had to change the existing Silver Annivesary for DNM Reson because it was a great deal brighter than anything else I'd had at home lately- I still might be buying one though :). Cabling might be used to good effect here to get a better overall balence across the frequencies.