1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mordaunt short 903's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by CatManDo, Nov 11, 2003.

1. CatManDo

CatManDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Looking to upgrade my speakers are per previous posts and decided with my
    rears first.

Looking to replace some old Mission 73's and was looking at the MS 903's..

Seen them for around the £180 mark but Richer Sounds online have them for
    £79.95? anyone got these?

My current setup:

Sony 32" Widescreen TV
    Sherwood 6095 amp
    Mordaunt Short MS25I Pearl floorstanders
    Kef ?? Speech speaker
    Mission 73 rear speakers
    Gale 50 Sub

TIA

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    At the RS price, they're pretty sound value although I will warn you now that their design is being changed shortly. Do also bear in mind that they are a pretty stiff electrical load (they hover around the 4ohm mark most of the time). On the understanding that you can always swap them, I don't think you have much to lose.

3. JoeyJoeJoe

JoeyJoeJoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't tell you much about the 903's except that they are reduced because they have been replaced by the Avant 903. Looking at the MS website, there doesn't seem to be any difference between the old 903 and the new 903 except a different choice of coloured finish. I thought about going for the 903's for my rears but decided against it only because of the size of them. I went for the 302's for my rears because they are small and compact and give an excellent sound as do my 902's that I have as my fronts. I'm awaiting delivery of a 905 centre but as with the rest of my set up, I'm sure I won't be disappointed once I do get it. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be many members on these forums who have MS speakers so it can be difficult to find info on how they sound. I am most impressed with mine but the only other thing you can do is try and get a demo before you buy [which I didn't but I don't regret it :)]

4. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The avant has:

A new mid-bass driver
    Better internal cabinet bracing
    New front baffle
    Slimmer front baffle with deeper cabinet
    New X-over

5. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even with all those changes.....the older non avant models sound better:confused: seriously guys,heard a fair few MS speakers at the bennetts hitech show in norwich and the pick of the bunch would be the non avant MS 908's which were ok but not outstanding.Certainly sound different from their immediete rivals and some people may like their lean and fast presentation.I personally prefered my B&Ws warmer and more refined sound.Having said that i have now sold the B&Ws and ordered a pair of mission m53:devil:

zoolander:D

6. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a pair of 903's at the moment(and had them for some time in my setup).These bipolars are good , and even at the distance that I had them at, which was about 6-7' away from my listening position.If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Andy

7. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a pair of 'em.. just been using for a couple of days.. i am used to standard rears so i found the bipoles sounds a bit odd but im getting used to it.. the 903s are not the best, but hey.. for £80 what could you ask for more?

8. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i have a full ms set up apart from sub and i think they are great.
    the 903's are fine for rears and i can't see me wanting better for a long time.
    i also have the large 908 which a ab fab in my opinion especialy with music. iv'e had them a about a year and they still surprise me how dam good they sound,
    as for the new speakers i dont know what they sound like but they look pig ugly. funny a couple a degrees change in angles and a few cm's in size and they go from looking like proper meat head speakers to looking like eltax slim boys.

note to MS guy
    with regards to the floor standers as i havnt seen the rest
    im afraid the new finish, looks cheep. What was wrong with the nice curved front? if i were re buying and i didn't know what i know about speakers. there is no way i would buy the 908's for 400-500 they just dont look worth it any more.

i thinks most people who had seen the old ones would have expected a price drop with the new range.

9. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    original meaty version(not the best picture)

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      Size:
      32.4 KB
      Views:
  10. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    new anguler version with different cones.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      Size:
      34.4 KB
      Views:
  11. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    im sure it all depends on the person, and im just as sure that the new speakers sound as good, if not better that the original.
    the pictures dont portray it as well as i hoped but i think that most 908 owners and those that have seen the old ones will agree. Just MHO

12. CatManDo

CatManDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Thanks guys.

Just spoke to RS store and they advised me against the 903's and tried to
    sell me some Gale's instead! He said something about the independence being
    4ohms and would strain most amps!

Found this on Mordaunt Short's website:

Q: My 903's have an impedance of 4 ohms whilst my amp says a minimum of 8/6
    ohms - will anything go wrong?

A: The 903 bipolar rear speaker is correctly measured as having an impedance
    of 8-4 ohms. That is to say the speaker spends much of its life at an
    impedance of 8 ohms but can under high volume dip toward 4 ohms. This is
    well within the performance envelope of the majority of amplifiers and
    should result in no serious difficulties.

Can anyone explain this to me in simple terms for a simple man?

13. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Erm- I wrote that! :blush:. It means that for the vast majority of the time, the impedance is nothing to worry about (an 8ohm speaker often runs higher and so forth) but during the peaks of a performance, they are a pretty hefty electrical load (the designer wanted a level of performance from the drivers that left little choice but to run a higher impedance). The Avant is the same in this regard.
    In response to Clancol's comments, all I can say about the Avant appearance is that it grows on you. I personally hated our old cherry finish (it is very "orange") and reckon the new maple is much more tactile finish. The appearence is not radically different from the old but it makes sensible evolutionary moves. The new sonic performance was blind tested as a vast improvement by staff and at the Manchester show we had a great many favourable comments about the performance of the runners there (902,904).
    It still doesn't change the fact the 914 is the best unit we make :D

14. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    the new beach colour looks ok but a bit eltax! i have the black set anyway.
    my comment was on the front edges which have been given a 90 degree corner instead of nice smooth corners.
    Is the finish on the THX set being changed as well?

15. JoeyJoeJoe

JoeyJoeJoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to butt in. I have a 905 centre on order that I have been waiting 2 weeks for. I phoned the shop today and was told that they will be sending me the new version for the same price as the old one [sometime this month!!!]. Will the new 905 sound OK paired up with the old 902's tonally? Or would I be better off cancelling the new one and re-ordering the old one from elsewhere?

Tons of Fun, I'm looking at you :)

16. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Sonically it isn't much of a change. We were happy with the performance of the 905 so it has had its makeover with very small sonic changes. If you've ordered black, you really don't have anything to worry about in appearence/sonics. If you can find the older type 905 then it could be worth it for decor's sake but don't bust a nut!
    Clancol; THX remains internally unchanged for now. It has ceased production in cherry and henceforth there are maple and black as the available options. A small number of cherry dipoles/centres has been retained for existing cherry owners to upgrade to 6/7 speaker packages. Where we take THX when its revsion comes up in mid 2004 is not yet clear.

17. JoeyJoeJoe

JoeyJoeJoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for a quick reply Tons of fun. As it is the centre speaker, I don't think it will look that much out of place with the 902 fronts as they will not be at the heights, the centre being lower than the 902's. I guess I'll just have to play the waiting game.