Mordaunt Short 309i - Keeps turning off?

Indiana Jones

I have had this sub for well over a year now and was just wondering if its normal for it to turn itself off?

I dont know if its a setting or something but when there is a sequence during a film that doesnt have much going on the sub will turn off and then come back on when things pick up again but there is a delay and I would prefer just for it to stay on the whole time, is this possible?

If this is not normal then could it be my cable at fault? because I have two 1m phono cables connected together with a coupler (thought 1m would do it but too short so connected them together)

Could this be causing an issue?

eightlegs

Novice Member
On the back of the sub the power switch has 3 settings - ON / AUTO / OFF. Put the switch to ON and the sub will stay on even through the quiet bits. Put it on AUTO and it will do exactly as you describe above :smashin:

Mine is always on - even through the night if I forget to click the mains off :D

Indiana Jones

On the back of the sub the power switch has 3 settings - ON / AUTO / OFF. Put the switch to ON and the sub will stay on even through the quiet bits. Put it on AUTO and it will do exactly as you describe above :smashin:

Mine is always on - even through the night if I forget to click the mains off :D
I think mine is already set to ON but will double check when I get home.

Last edited:

IronGiant

It does sound like it is on (or has been knocked to) Auto.

Dave

Indiana Jones

God I am stupid, all this time I thought it was in the fully down position but a little extra force and click it goes down to another setting which turns the green light on :clap:

At last no more annoying clicks but should I only turn in off when I am not watching something or will leaving it on 24/7 be ok?

IronGiant

The consensus seems to be that you don't need to turn it off unless you are worried that it is impacting on your electricity bill/the planet's resources. A small sub consumes less than 10W when switched on but not in use so about 3p a day.

neuty

Distinguished Member
I have the same sub, and having the same as "issues" as Indy.

I have no real problem with the auto switching off, but its a shame there isn't a way to alter it's time delay. It does seem to turn off quite quickly when there is a quiet moment.

Great sub though, better than my 308 I had before it.

Think i will try the same and pop it to the "on" setting.

:thumbsup: neuty

IronGiant

If you turn the output on the AV amp up, and the gain on the sub down, you can sometimes get enough extra sensitivity on the auto circuit to stop it cutting out too often, might be worth a try.

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom