Mordaunt Short 306 Avant questions

RobM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last thing on my A/V wish-list, at the moment ;) is a new sub and the Mordaunt Short 309 Avant is top of that list, but I have a couple of questions...

Firstly, what power cable does this take? Might sound an odd question, but I've already got a figure of 8 power cable run to my current sub and not having to re-route the cable would be a massive bonus.

Secondly, is this still regarded as a good quality sub, considering the price and competition? All reviews seem to rate it highly, but it has been around a while I think?

Lastly, do you experts out there think it's a good choice, based on the kit below and the fact most of it's use will be general TV viewing, occasional films and a good amount of music.

Kit is;

Amp: Onkyo 605
Front speakers: Mordaunt Short 902i
Centre: Mordaunt Short 905i
Rears: Mordaunt Short 903i

As you can tell, I had a bit of a thing for Mordaunt Short kit :rotfl: I was hoping that by adding a matching sub to the rest of the kit, it would integrate nicely. I like a fair amount of bass, but don't like to know where it's coming from, if you know what I mean? Good integration is important :)

(edit... got sub number wrong in title, please could a mod edit that for me?)

It's a very good choice, no worries.
I still rate it as one of my favourites and for the price you can get it for now, it's a steal. It doesn't go stupidly deep, but timed beautifully in my room. I regret selling it, TBH.
I ran exactly the same speaker setup coupled with a Yam amp, FWIW.

I can't remember what cable it takes though :confused:

Thanks very much :)

I've been doing a bit of reading on this forum and generally around the net, and I can't find anything that comes out so well for the same price.

I'm in more or less the same position as you. Because All I need now is the 309 sub to finish my system (I have the 902i's too), but I'm mainly going to be using it for music (big drum n bass fan).

Think its £165 on forum HIFI, so i'll probably get mine from there in a couple of weeks:thumbsup:

Thanks very much :)

I've been doing a bit of reading on this forum and generally around the net, and I can't find anything that comes out so well for the same price.

Just to confuse you a bit, you could always consider BK subs;

www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

as they are very good too.

But I guess it makes sense to have the matching sub, even just for looks-wise.
And the 309 is very nice looking, I have to say.

:hiya:hi rob

i own a 309 sub and i am very pleased with it mine is the older model 150watts and in silver
my power supply is the kettle type like on a pc but i am going to be upgrading soon to a bk 300 or the big monolith hope this helps you:thumbsup:

I got one after Badger's adive and I have to say i'm pleased with.

Does not go as low as I would have liked but for the money it is certainly a good buy.

It has a kettle lead connector on the back.

I'm in more or less the same position as you. Because All I need now is the 309 sub to finish my system (I have the 902i's too), but I'm mainly going to be using it for music (big drum n bass fan).

Think its £165 on forum HIFI, so i'll probably get mine from there in a couple of weeks:thumbsup:

That's a damn good price, will check it out thanks! :thumbsup:

Just to confuse you a bit, you could always consider BK subs;

www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

as they are very good too.

But I guess it makes sense to have the matching sub, even just for looks-wise.
And the 309 is very nice looking, I have to say.

More options are always good to have! Will have a look through the website and see what's what. I am a bit of a tart though, so like matching things, but not at the sacrifice of what it's all about... audio! So if the BK's offer something better for similar money, it's an option well worth considering I think :)

:hiya:hi rob

i own a 309 sub and i am very pleased with it mine is the older model 150watts and in silver
my power supply is the kettle type like on a pc but i am going to be upgrading soon to a bk 300 or the big monolith hope this helps you:thumbsup:

Glad to hear another good review of it. I can't see them changing the power cable though sadly, so guess the newer revision will be the same. Balls. Not a deal breaker, just a big pain in the arse if I have to re-route it.

Just ordered my 309 for £175
:hiya: Hakwind
Time we left this world today, To many people here to stay.
SVS PB Ultra 13 it's on its way.
Stuff all these other subs you need to get one of these. If significant other objects just say "YOU GONNA LEAVE ME OVER THIS?" most don't and they get over it.
The year of living dangerously is a great album.
Blueye:devil:

Stuff all these other subs you need to get one of these. If significant other objects just say "YOU GONNA LEAVE ME OVER THIS?" most don't and they get over it.

"These are the first signs of Sonic Attack:
You will notice small objects, such as ornaments, oscillating.
You will notice a vibration in your vertebrae.
You will hear a distant hissing in your ears.
You will feel dizzy.
You will feel the need to vomit.
There will be bleeding from orifices.
There will be an ache in the pelvic region.
You may be subject to fits of hysterical shouting, or even laughter."

Enjoy the Ultra 13, and don't forget to tell us about your listening experiences. :)

:hiya: Blueye :hiya: peter314
2 hawk nuts eh :clap: good on yer fellas:smashin:
Space Ritual best album ever:thumbsup:

had to go with the 906, it's all the money i had left:oops:, i'll tell you guys what it's like when i fire it up. Now where did i put my medic coat ( all the hawkheads will get that one )

So you have to assume they don't have silver :(
Strangely enough, about a year ago, the retailers only had silver, or should I say Vanadium.
You might be able to find a vanadium one elsewhere.
But I can say the Honey Maple is really nice :smashin:

It's gotta match though ;)

Hi,

You can Richer sounds buzz, they seem to have the silver (vanadium) colour in stock. (this was a couple of months ago though)

NB: Its a good sub for the money

Thanks

Don't Richer Sounds sell the 309, and not the 309i? So 150w not 175w plus any other changes made?

If so, would they still price match the 309i if they only sell the 309?

Got my 309 in Calvados to match my speakers, with my silver amp:)

Don't Richer Sounds sell the 309, and not the 309i? So 150w not 175w plus any other changes made?

If so, would they still price match the 309i if they only sell the 309?

I have contacted them many times about this. I ordered one and the 309i arrived.

They won't change it on their site though. Wonder how many sales they have lost out on.

I have contacted them many times about this. I ordered one and the 309i arrived.

They won't change it on their site though. Wonder how many sales they have lost out on.

They would have done this time if it weren't for you saying that! You should be on commission! Will drop in there one day I think to see if they will price match the cheaper places :)

I never knew that! They have gone up even more in my estimation now, good company :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom