Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Mordaunt Short 302's or 902's?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by agw_01, Mar 10, 2004.

1. agw_01

agw_01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking on eBay over the weekend and found a pair of new MS302's. They were at £33 with 4 hours left, and finished at £72. I've been looking on this forum and found many good posts about the 302's, so I'm quite interested in them (like the look aswell).

From what I understand, the 902's are THX-spec'd :confused: Is that the only difference between the two models, or will the 902's sound a lot better than the 302's? Can anyone tell me if the 302's are worth £70 (£100 from RS) or should I wait a bit longer and save up for the 902's?

They will be used as fronts for a while, until I can afford some new fronts (probably MS904's). This will be my first step in upgrading my whole system, so I want to make the right choice.

Thanks for any help.

2. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I have a pair of 302's as my rears and 902's for my fronts. The 902's do sound better as they they are larger, handle bass better and have a power rating of 100 watts as opposed to 80 watts for the 302's. I would say it's worth saving a little extra and get the 902's when you can afford them. FYI, only the 500 series are THX certified.

There's a comparison for the 302 and 902 here

3. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    some 902s left, at £69.84 at www.bennettsonline.co.uk

a clearance price as they're replaced by the Avant 902s (sonically only slightly different)

i'm not personally enamoured by the 302s- they're tricky to drive, not that small and the wall brackets are £10 each. the 902s however, are excellent and as i said, at £69.84 a pair, an utter bargain. should see off your 702es very easily :)

4. agw_01

agw_01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for the replies, I appreciate the feedback :)

Thanks for the link Malabbey. I had no idea that there was such a significant difference between the two models. I didn't know that the 902's were that much bigger than the 302's so I think it would be best if I did wait a little longer and got the 902's.

rozzar, thanks for the heads up. I will definately check those out. I no longer have the 702e's. They were damaged by Mission (b*stards) when I sent them back for repairs, so RS gave me some Eltax Silverstone replacements. The Eltax's aren't bad at all, but they don't impress me as much as the Mission 700's I have. I was trying to sell the Silverstone's, but it seems no-one wants them, lol :rolleyes:

Once again, thanks for the replies.

It's off to check the bank balance for me... :hiya:

5. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    if the mission 700s impress you, the ms902s will absolutely blow you away. they do a cracking centre speaker for £110 and excellent bipole rears too.

imo the 7xx Missions were their worst sounding range ever and as a retailer, we got a lot of faulty ones back- the bass driver kept blowing and the front baffle rattled way too much

yeh check those 902s out for £69- if they're not on the website just give them a call.