1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mordaunt or monitor

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by strontiumdog, Jan 11, 2005.

1. strontiumdog

strontiumdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im looking to upgrade my crappy all in one ministry of sound speaker system,and maybe replace it with the mordaunt short avant system,primarily because i like the style.or buy the monitor audio b2 bronze package,i dont mind spending 900 at the most.i know nothing about speakers,please advise

2. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You won't go far wrong with the Mordaunt-Short Avant. I have the 906 fronts, 905 centre, and 902 rears, all in the maple finish. They are excellent speakers for the money. At first I bought the 904 fronts (slightly smaller floorstander with only one driver), but although the sound quality was very good, I wanted more low end weight to the system, so upgraded to the 906. I am very impressed with them - very good sound and build quality, nice maple finish.

As for the Monitors, I have not heard them but they were also on my list when I bought mine. As you will probably know, they get cracking magazine reviews. I have seen them and can say they look very nice. As for the sound quality, I am pretty sure they will be excellent. I reckon the B2s on a decent pair of stands will sound very nice.

If you have the time and patience (which I didnt), then go for whatever you prefer looks-wise, because I doubt you'll be disappointed with either setup.

Obviously you will need a decent amp don't forget, if you're replacing your system.

3. strontiumdog

strontiumdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks,i probaly go for the mordaunts,have to sell the kids first before i buy an amp

4. league67

league67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after visiting LOADS of demo rooms. and had ms / ma / kef setups for 2 weeks at my place, imho ma's are clear winners. All run of pio 575/814. Build quality seems much better on ma's. Time to pack up ms and kef's. They have been good fun but not as much as bronze.

my 2pence

5. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
    Ma's have been going for quite some years now I think, along with a speaker called tannoy. I am only going on memory from speaking to someone in a local hi-fi second hand shop so I think thats right. (some one correct me if I am wrong) Tannoy is also not a bad speaker, if your gonna want to get a good solid sub at some point, go for a Rel, they seem to be very good.

tris

6. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I would say that Mordaunt Short would be the way to go. The Bronze B4s and Bronze B2s by Monitor Audio were no-where near as nice as the Mordaunt Short 904s I listened to, though perhaps the Mordaunts lacked a little in bass. Get the 914s, and 905c, some 902s for rears and a 309 sub, and you'll be sorted. I think if you can you should listen, but from having listened to both I think the Mordaunt Shorts completely outclass the Monitor Audio Bronze series.

Personally though, for £900, I'd get the KEF Q series setup, some Q4s (or Q1s on stands), Qcompacts (as rears), Q6c (centre) and a PSW2500 sub. All in about £900ish from Sevenoaks, but much cheaper if you can get to hi-spek.

Seriously though, if you're nearly spending £1k on speakers listen to them first! At least comare the KEFs and MAs in sevenoaks or whatever your local dealer is. Not sure where you can listen to the Mordaunt Short setup though, I bought that one blind and was quite lucky they were nice. Took ages to run in though, so don't be surprised if whatever speakers you buy sound nasty for the 1st few days or so...

7. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another vote for Mordaunt Short 906s here, I've got them with the avant centre and rears and an MS309 - defintely not short of bass, they're lovely clear speakers that give me the big midrange I like. As a bonus I was originally planning MS914s but Richer Sounds couldn't find any in beech at the time so upgraded me to 906s for free :thumbsup:

8. strontiumdog

strontiumdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    one thing i havent really taken into consideration,is the fact that my cinema room is quite small ,will i be wasting my money on buying the full set,ill be sitting about 7ft from the tv and speakers.the rear speakers can only be placed either side of me,as the sofa is placed against the wall.will there be adequate room for the sound to create any atmosphere?

9. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My room is only about 3.5m x 4m and I think it sounds great. As i said in a previous post, the 904s I originally bought were not quite bassy enough for me, so I upgraded to 906s and they sound exactly as I like.

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Depends on what type of sound you prefer, the Mordaunts are warmer than the MA's, with the MA's more on the brighter side of neutral. Both brands are very good though, so it all depends on the flavour your ears like :)

11. dstev2000

dstev2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to go with the MS's, got 905 centre and 906 fronts, really nice speakers, great looking too.

12. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Just my 2 pennies worth, If the room is small and you're not sitting a million miles from the TV. You may be better off with standmounts all round. Think of it like this the quality of the drivers in a floorstander won't be as good as the ones in an equivilently priced standmount and if you find you want more bass you ca add a sub. Better drivers will give you cleaner more detailed sound and will stand you in good stead for your next upgrade itch!
    How about MA s1 fronts, sSLCR and Radius 90 rears? £673 new less if you go ex dem. You'll have to allow a bit for stands but in a room that size it could be a good way to go.

13. yant

yant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sticking with Monitor Audio, if you are willing to spend 900 pounds, I wouldn't go for the MA Bronze package. I'd go for a pair of Silver S1 or S2 (£300/370) for the front a matching Silver centre (£250) and a pair of Bronze 1 or 2 for the rear (£135/175). The B1 and the BFX are wall mountable and you should have enough money left for a pair of stands. You might be able to negociate a discount for buying 5 speakers even if they are not officially a set. If you get the Bronze package, next time you catch upgraditis, you will almost have to throw it all away and spend £1400 on a new package to see an improvement. If you get a S2 front and B1 rear, next upgraditis crisis you can buy some S8 or GR10 for £800 or some GR20 for £1200 and move you S2 to the back. IMO, you'd win in the short term and win in the long term.

Having matching front three is important, but unless you are going really high end or DVD-A fanatic, I personally prefer a better quality front three rather than a whole matching package. If you concentrate on your front three first, your budget puts you in the price range for a lot of highly rated monitors (rough price for front three) ala Dynaudio 42s (£650), Quad 11L (£600), Totem DreamCatchers (£700), etc. You wouldn't have enough money to buy matching rear so you would have to go with something like the MA B1 or something else in this price range but it would offer you a nice medium term upgrade path. Home Cinema purists will disagree.

Oops, I didn't really leave money for a subwoofer. Iain will kill me but that's next year Christmas present. :) If you go Silver S2, they have a significant amount of bass so you should be able to wait a few months for a sub.

Now, anyone has a pair of Contour floorstanders for sale so the I can move my 42s at the back :)

Yan