1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mordaunt ms309/304 advice please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by killabeez, Dec 22, 2004.

1. killabeez

killabeez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    HI all,

Trying to upgade my system without breaking the bank/marriage.
    Useing a Sony STRDE-495 reciever/amp and curently the Sony speaker system that came with the amp.

Was considering upgrading the sub to the MS309 and the center speaker to the MS304 ? while still useing the Sony Satelite speakers, would this be a wise decision and would i notice any benefit from the expense ?

Would welcome any advice from the forum members,
    Thanks ( and merry xmas )

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I wouldn't advise such a mish mash of speakers at the front as it would probably ruin the soundstage making it less cohesive amongst other things.

The MS309 sub would be a better bet than the typical Sony subs that come with these systems but again I am not sure that it would be worthwhile increasing the quality at the lower end of the frequency range without doing something about the upper end as well.

3. killabeez

killabeez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks for the reply and advice Ian,,

But to revise my setup option, if i was to put a set of 302's at the front, with a increase cost of around £90 would this make more sence ? and the system more cohesive ? with the intention at a later date to upgrade the rears.

Also do you think the reciever will be up to the job of driving these speakers, maybe not the best thing since sliced bread but ok till i can upgrade this aswell in the future.

Cheers for any advice.

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The Sony should be fine driving the 300 series MS speakers.

The 304 and 302 combo you mention is a good one, and the MS309 sub is also a very good sub for the money. Could be the way to go, but Ian is right in saying that you do not want to mis match the front stage.

5. killabeez

killabeez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers for the advice once again,,,,been on the phone but i,m unable to track down a vanadium/silver Sub at the mo,,,,looks like i might have to wait till January for the new stocks. :(