Moral dilemma

Barry.NI

In December, I purchased an Oppo 103EU multi region player from an online retailer in N. Wales., for just under £700 including delivery. After acknowledgement of my order, I was advised by a well known international carrier that the item would be delivered on the following Friday, between 1200 and 1430. Although we were in all day and looking out for the the carrier, nobody came, we then got an email from the carrier to say that the driver had not been able to deliver the item, as no one was home, and left a card. No such card was received. I received follow up emails, one to say that it would be delivered on the following Monday, and then a later one to say delivery on Sunday. I then received a follow up email, saying that the item had been delivered on Sunday, and signed for by a name that was not even close to mine. I later discovered that the address to which the parcel had been delivered was a village about four miles from where I live. As the retailer is only a 30 minute drive away, I went to their shop, and they promised to look into it, they didn't have a replacement, which were on back order. After a further ten days, having heard nothing, I started a 'disputed trade. Item not received', with PayPal, who handled the payment, however the retailer refunded the full purchase price, so the PayPal dispute was cancelled. The dealer advised that the carrier would only cover the first £100 of the value to the retailer . I felt that the person who not only signed for the package, not addressed to them, and then to make no effort to contact either the carrier or myself amounted to fraud, so I wrote to the carriers, special delivery, saying that they had been grossly negligent, but received no reply. The retailer advised that the carrier had called in at the address that they had originally delivered to, but received 'No Reply'

By coincidence, there is a fully manned police station, in the village concerned, which is considered to be a Crime hotspot, so I took all the paperwork, including the tracking info supplied by the carrier, and the address to which they had delivered the player. The desk sergeant listened to my story, but as I had received a full refund from the dealer, therefore I had lost nothing, they would not take up the case, and even though the address to which the parcel, had been delivered, is less than half a mile, from the station,they were reluctant to take it any further, though they admitted a fraud had been committed, and advised me to contact the retailer, who doesn't seem to want to persue it, so the recipient is now in possession of an expensive DVD player, or more likely sold it on, and no one is willing to do anything about it.

The only person who comes well out of this is the retailer, who had the most to lose, everyone else has either been lax, in the case of the carrier driver, negligent, and the recipient knowing that he is not the intended addressee, guilty of fraud, and I feel outraged.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom