Moral Dilema of a graphics card RMA

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by slinger, Feb 27, 2014.

1. slinger

slinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Hi

I bought and received last week an R9 290 OC graphics card. I've been that busy though I've only really had 2 x real opportunities to sit down at the pc since it came and both times I've suffered repeated random Black screen crashes. First was on Friday night while playing the new Rambo game, and then numerous crashes with Battlefield 4. On Tuesday I updated the drivers to the new 14.2's and straight away when joining a game of BF4 it got to the map screen and hung on a Black Screen. I instantly uninstalled the 14.2's and reinstalled the 13.2 WHQL drivers and last night I could not get a single game of BF4 to work, every game I joined approx. 2 mins in it would crash. So, I tried installing the 14.2's again and I managed to play for about 3 hours solid last night without any problems.

During this, I raised an RMA with Aria and it told me that I was still eligible to return under DSA for a full refund, so this is how I proceeded. The conditions on their site state that it must not have been used and must be in the original packaging 'as new' so it can be restocked for selling again.
    However, from what I have read this morning they are not allowed to stipulate this. The packaging is like new but the card has obviously been used. Do I 'fess up' and call them to explain the real reason why I wish to return it and hope that they play ball? or do I just return it and hope they don't say anything about the box being opened? (I could drive to Aria if they allow items to be returned in person)

In 15 years I've never had to return a graphics card so this is a new one for me. But considering it cost me £300 only last week, and it seems to be a common problem with Elpida memory on R9's, I don't want it, I'd rather get my money back and get a GTX 780.

thanks for any advice guys.

2. austinqpr

austinqpr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +376
    I believe you're well within your rights to package it back up and return it for a refund.

I returned a card to Overclockers under similar circumstances last month, and like you I had it in the pc for a few days to test it. No problem at all and received my refund within a few days of sending it back.

3. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    If you do drive down they will test the card there and then. Have had to do this myself but it only took 10 minutes

4. Bigbud

Bigbud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    I hope you don't have problems, Aria we're rubbish for me and have been for others. They have a bad rep !

5. slinger

slinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    What was your experience Bigbud?

6. Bigbud

Bigbud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
  7. slinger

slinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Thats not good, I hope I get a bit better service than that considering how much this card cost!

8. BYF

BYF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    The card sounds faulty so they should refund/replace without question.

Distance selling regs are really for returning non-faulty items, you are entitled to unpack, inspect and test as if you were buying from a shop/showroom and received a demonstration, if you don't like the item for any reason you inform them within 7 days.

9. slinger

slinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Swapped it out no problem and no questions asked, walked out with a spanking GTX 780 in less than 10 minutes. Great service :)

10. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,230
    Nice one!