1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moore Medio

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by medio, Jul 14, 2004.

1. medio

medio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At last this looks like its a proper Media PC.
    www.mooremedio.com

Love the looks and the performance is high too. :clap:

2. ukbubs

ukbubs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that's a very cool looking case, but you could build to that spec for 1/3 of the price.......... in fact - maybe you do!

BTW - why not call yourself 'mooremedio' and have done with it???? ;)

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Whats so special about it :rolleyes:

Apart from the case it's all standard components from what I can see with no special attemps at keeping things quiet - just standard off-the-shelf cooling products.

The case is awfull in my opinion. Personally I would want something that compliments the rest of my rig. It has no form of LCD/VFD display and for that price I'd have liked an integrated 7" WS TFT.

It also needs twice the memory and options for better soundcards.

No real mention of the software package/front-end supplied. Is it custom written ?

How well does it handle WM9 and .ts file playback I wonder as it does not meet the minimum spec in terms of CPU speed.

Defo not worth £2k :thumbsdow

Cheers, Lee

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Case doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid :(

BTW, if you're involved with the company we'll need to add you to the manufacturers/retailer group & you should state so in your sig.

:smoke:

5. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi all,

I'm in the process of building a new HCPC and was wondering which is the best CPU to get these days based on Price/Performance/Heat?

I know prescott runs hot so that is out of the window so its either Intel P4 Northwood / AMD Athlon (newest?) / AMD Mobile

Thanks.

6. medio

medio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must say your comments are rather harsh to say the lease despite the fact that none of you have even seen the product!
    The medio is not just about spec but has been built according to very high tolerances both internally and externally.
    We do not belive the price is excessive based on the quality and specification.

Thank you for your comments anyway.

Yes indeed I do work for the company im sorry Im new to these forums.

7. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hmm, first impressions, i quite like the case, looks pretty cool, although i wish it was square like a power amp rather than curvy & indented.

I think the biggest let down is the poor selection of components, i can't think of anyone who would rather have a Nova-T instead of a Nebula card for freeview, and the PCI-FM is clearly outclassed in all respects by the PC World Packard Bell special (pretty rare you say that hey :D ) and the XCapture cards.

Storage is adequate i guess, but to be honest at today's prices, i'd expect it to come with at least 1Tb when you're paying almost £2k for it!

At Kustom PCs, they even have an internal de-interlacer , which, wait for it, will not pass overlay over the RGB connection! All for £400! In all fairness the external one will, plus it's £100 cheaper? (Also should it be called an interlacer for turning progressive VGA into PAL?)

The OS is XP home, and you are supplied with Showshifter and Pinnacle recording software, so nothing particularoly special there.

Gyration suite is nice, but why not a remote too, or at least an option for an IR reciever.

Back to the drawing board perhaps...

Sean

8. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I'm sorry but as it stands it's just a standard PC in a fancy case from what I can see with no special features that make it the must-have HTPC or even a HTPC at all TBH.

As someone who has spent many years building PC's I'm intrigued as to how you build a PC with very high tolerances both internally and externally especially as nothing, other than possibly the case, is under your direct control. I doubt that the Soundblaster you use is any different from that which can be bought anywhere else.

For me to even think about buying or recommending the Medio to anyone it would require a lot of changes and a price drop.

The trouble with HTPCs is that no two people will have the same usage in mind. Some want a music server, others a multi-region DVD player, others a games machine, others a scaler based around dScaler, others want to playback hidef material and some may just want to surf the net and check emails...and most people here want it all :D

With that in mind an off-the-shelf HTPC will suit very few people as-is.

So you need to offer more choice in all areas. More storage, dual layer DVD writers, faster processors along with more options for graphics cards - faster for gamers and passively cooled for those who seek silence - and soudcards for those that want higher quality and/or more outputs along with options for more video inputs such as RGBs, component and SDI.

The Gyration keyboard/mouse combo is good but is no alternative for a remote control and soem form of LCD or VFD is really needed too.

Then to top it off it really needs to come ready-to-run out of the box with a fancy front-end which integrates neatly all the various functions that it might offer rather than just a disparate collection of bundled software.

Also I see no special mention to noise control. As far as I can see the system has a fan on the CPU, PSU and GPU. Does it have any chassis fans also and are they controllable ? do the HDDs have any form of accoustic enclosure as even though they are pretty quiet drives in a RAID 0 config they could still produce too much noise for some.

Can I ask are you/the company actually involved in the AV market or more the PC market ? as it seems to me you need to do a tad more research as it takes more than a fancy case to make a HTPC.

Cheers, Lee

9. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    100% with you Mr Loonatic :thumbsup:

1 minor point, the GPU is actually passively cooled, the 9600XT Ultimate really does charge a crazy premium for it though, they also do a 9800 fanless.

10. mardale

mardale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0