Mooky's New Home

mooky

Standard Member
Hello everybody.

We have just moved into a new house & SWMBO has ordered a huge corner settee that is ruining my home cinema dreams! :(

I have a Pioneer 923 amp, Mordaunt Short Alumni 5.1, Sky HD, PS3 (Hope to get an Xbone soon) & Raspberry Pi. In our previous house all of the 'gear' was hidden in the garage & distributed to 3 rooms. SWMBO is insistent that the boxes will be accessible for all! I am a tad down heartened by this, but I am "allowed" to pick another room in the house to have my home cinema. This may be the end of the kitchen (about 5 sam with a massive window).

Anyway if i can do it in the lounge that would be better; So on with the planning, the first pic is the most sensible layout. The front speakers can't be placed too far apart to give a good sound stage, the TV & speakers are a snug fit together in that corner & the 5 year old TV is only 40" so not much room to get that 55" in!! Also where to put the equipment? The wife hates corner tv units wooden & glass so i'm stumped?

The second pic is my preferred layout but my question is where does the equipment go. We have looked & like the ikea besta range but they stick out too much & interfere with the seating.

I'd be glad of some advice from you guys. Many thanks.

Ben

Last edited:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I would say the first but with the TV a bit to the top left so it is closer to a centre line from the seating.
It would give you a better chance with 5.1 speaker positions.

Ghostrider

If the pics are to scale then that is one bloody huge sofa.

Why do architects never factor in decent AV positioning when the build houses.

mooky

Standard Member
:eek:
I would say the first but with the TV a bit to the top left so it is closer to a centre line from the seating.
It would give you a better chance with 5.1 speaker positions.

We had a corner setup in the previous house & i vowed never again! But its a compromise i'm relectanly going to have to accept!

If the pics are to scale then that is one bloody huge sofa.

Why do architects never factor in decent AV positioning when the build houses.

I couldn't agree more. The room is quite big & sofas never look that big at DFS, the wife wanted a large corner sofa & she has picked a biggy! Aslo the pics are to scale .

With the first layout where would you put the rack? Besta's are nice but can't see how to incorporate them into a corner setup?

Thanks

Ben

Ghostrider

I think that like you I'm stuck.

How about a compromise where you shove the TV in the corner but have a nice 100inch+ screen recessed into the ceiling in front of the right hand wall :D.

Ghostrider

Sofa in position 1 with the TV in the bay?

I don't know about the OP but the thought of having the back of the TV visible from outside just makes my skin crawl. I've seen this done in plenty of places but for me it just looks bad.

mooky

Standard Member
Sofa in position 1 with the TV in the bay?

The area at the top is actually floor to ceiling windows & doors. I'd prefer not to block them. I had thought to remove the radiator & have a second screen using an PJ. Using the TV for regular Sky & PJ for sport / films with 5.1. Just don't want the equpment bench to be an eyesore, its a living room after all.

Thanks

Ben

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom