1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Montor Gold Series Speakers, Please Help New GUY!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by hwright217, Oct 13, 2004.

1. hwright217

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I have purchased new Monitor Gold Series Speakers: GR60 Gold fronts, GRFX Gold rears, and a GRLC Gold Center Speaker. I also purchased a Velodyne HGX 12" Powered Sub (1250 watts). I have a fairly large combined livinig room/kitchen area (combined room size is 20 feet side to side x 35 feet front to back with vaulted ceilinings at a slope from 10 feet to 16 feet going side to side in the listening area). The floors are tile and there are several large picture windows, I have added floor rugs, window treatments, and other sound absorbing materials in the room to reduce the over abundance of hard surface sound reflection/echo. The room is much improved with this. I plan on running 5.1 in my living room and a second zone pair of speakers on my back patio and this would use all of my speaker channels.

Now to the question... I am comparing the Arcan AVR 300 to the B&K AVR 507 (would also encourage/consider input on Denon or other comp units) and will most likely buy one of these units. I have listen to both units in sound rooms and I am leaning towards the B&K AVR 507 but need some help from you pro's. If your not familiar with the B&K AVR 507 (American Product), please comment/reply to the Monitor and Arcon match up (is it a good marriage or a bad marriage?).

My concern with the Arcan AVR 300 is a lack of power (100 watts/channel) for my speakers and larger room but I love the quality of the sound... My other concern with the Arcan unit is the inability to produce 5 channel stereo output. It was mentioned to me that if I could spend a bit more money (tough because I am way over budget on my audio vidoe overhall..) I could improve the output by adding an amplifier to bi-amp the fronts and possibly the center channel to compensate for the lack of power. I am not sure how much of a real difference this would make in my room...

The B&K AVR 507 does not seem to have as good of quality of sound separation or clarity but the sound is good and a bit more robust partially because of the power (150 watts/channel) and partially because of the design. If I buy the B&K I am planning on waiting for the new unit coming out in a month that has a marked improvement in in sound processing and a greater ability to use custom settings to fit your room. It also has the ability to run 5 channel stereo. Althogh speaker outputs six and seven are not programable the factory will wire them to zone 2 for my outdoor speaker.

I listen to about equal amounts of audio CD's and TV/DVD's so I am trying to get the best of both Worlds if this exists...

In some ways I thought the Arcan seems like it might work well for my 5.1 video/DVD needs but fall short with the CD Audio needs because of lack of power.

On the other hand I though the B&K sound separation for midrange and tweeter would be missed on my 5.1 video/DVD needs but the base management would be better but the overall 5.1 video/DVD would not be as good in my room. I also felt the B&K would do a much better job filling my room with decent sound for CD Audio where as the Arcan would fall short unless I wired with serarate amp for front biamplifications.

I am looking for you pro's to agree or disagree with my analysis and make a recomendation and/or conclusion on my choices or analysis. Where I stand now is that the B&K is most likely a better match for my power hungry Monitor Golds and my large room. Your help is appreciated!!!

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Jun 26, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    The Monitor Audio's are sensitive enough speakers for the Arcam to power without breaking sweat and I suspect they'd work well together. If it is any help, our PR guy has a pair of Golds on an 18 wpc valve amp and that works very nicely. If you are after any other suitable competition for the Arcam, there isn't that much (by which I mean possessed of some stereo finesse) but I have heard and liked the Rotel RSX-1056 and would encourage you to give that a look.