1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monsters Of Rock

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Ron240, May 23, 2003.

1. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    I went to see Monsters Of Rock in Glasgow last night - Whitesnake,Gary Moore and Y&T.
    Y&T were on first,it was still before 7pm and the hall was far from full,but they made the most of it,i thought they gave a very enthusiastic performance,Summertime Girls was excellent.
    Dave Meniketti was talking about bands reforming with completely different line ups,a little friendly dig at Whitesnake there:D
    I had been looking forward to seeing Gary Moore but i have to say he got off to a pretty shaky start. He came good in the second half of his set though,Out In The Fields and Parisienne Walkways were excellent:clap: I was disappointed that he didnt play Empty Rooms or Over The Hills And Far Away though:(
    One track was even being recorded for a live album!
    All in all he was good but spent too long on bluesy and fancy playing.

Whitesnake were amazing:clap: :clap:
    Right from the start they really went for it,Coverdale was really on form,from screaming out at the top of his voice to talking to the audience with the normal innuendos.;)
    The only time during their set that i lost interest was during the drum solo.Tommy Aldridge is obviously a good drummer but its hard to get excited about a drum solo,with the exception of maybe Rick Allen on the Hysteria tour:clap:
    They played an excellent Still Of The Night as an encore. I dont know if they played anymore after that because i left at the end of that song so that i could get out of the carpark. Anybody that has been to the SECC and tried to get out of the carpark at the end of a concert will know what im talking about,its horrendous!! :suicide:
    So to sum up,it was an excellent way to spend a Thursday evening.:D :)

2. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I really liked Y&T in the 80s, and Dave Meniketti is a fantastic guitarist, and vocalist. His 'On The Blue Side' solo CD, is excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing where Y&T go from here. They made a run of great albums, from Earthshaker through to Down For The Count, but then I felt they kinda lost their way with the later stuff.

I also love Whitesnake, again the classic early 80s bluesy era. David Coverdale is one of our greatest singers, and also has a really nice personality. I do wish, however, they would play more of the bluesy stuff in their concerts, rather than concentrating on the later material, some of which was a little 'Americanised' for me.

Gary Moore I can take or leave, but there's no denying, he an awesome guitarist.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I've seen all of these bands in the eighties and enjoyed them imensly. Even got to see Deep Purple when they reformed for the concert at Knebworth some years back
    Aren't they all getting a bit long in the tooth now?:rotfl:

4. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Well,somebody needs to remind Coverdale of that cause the performance he gave last night would put guys half his age to shame.:D
    They also played Walking In The Shadow Of The Blues and Aint No Love In The Heart Of The City which the whole crowd was singing along to,excellent stuff!

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    looks like I'm gonna have to break out me denim and studded leather jackets out then. Donnington here I come:devil:

(What festivals R up and runnin' this year- any headlining info)

the last gig I went to see was Hawkwinds Chronicles of the black sword tour at Rock City in Nottingham about 15 years ago. Jesus has it been that long:(