Monsters Inc

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Ron240, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    I was looking at Play's site and i noticed that their top R1 seller is Monsters Inc.This will be a very desireable DVD to own but according to Play its not due to be released for another 6 MONTHS! I dont understand why so many people have pre ordered it so far in advance.I cant see it being so popular as to be unobtainable when it is released.Personally i wouldnt dream of ordering a disc so far in advance,but obviously a lot of people disagree with me. A lot can happen in 6 months,chill out.......

2. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,474
    There will always be people wanting to be among the first to own whatever, its human nature, that being so there will always be a market for companies to have you pre-order, it also gives them an idea of demand they can expect when the "whatever" is finally released.

Si

3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    And if does appear cheaper in the meantime cancelling at Play is no hassle.

No harm done!

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Ron,

As "Zone" says, there will always be those who want a title first.

However, Play have actually ballsed-up a couple of times, by not getting enough copies of titles in, and that caused a lot of angry Play customers.

When "Terminator 2: Special Tin Edition" came out on R1, the distributors massively underestimated demand for the set. Play was one of those companies who also didn't source enough copies, and that annoyed people who had pre-orderd it.

A similar situation occured with the "Akra: Limited Tin Edition", for the R1 release, except in this case, Play took pre-orders for that set, took payment from people's credit cards, but then couldn't supply the set to some people, despite pre-ordering it! To make matters worse, the situation was handled badly by them, and then some people who hadn't pre-ordered the set, were receiving the Tin Edition, whilst those who had pre-ordered weren't! :eek:

And, on top of all that, people who had pre-ordered were even being told by Play that they may not even get the Tin Edition they had pre-ordered at all!

Maybe Play is getting its act together, and learning from prior mistakes?

Pooch

5. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    I don't think you can blame Play for this one. When T2 was first announced they said all would ship with the tin box. Later on it became apparent that it was going to cost too much to have every copy in tin so they made it limited.

I have never pre ordered any title and normally wait until the weekend before release before ordering and I've never had any trouble getting a title. I even got the T2 tin special edition :)

6. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Maybe it's not really the best selling R1 but Play want to generate a bit of panic buying ! i.e. "if everyone else has ordered a copy there may be a shortage so I better get my order in now"

cynical, I know

7. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I pre-order stuff a long time in advance on Play. It's not wanting to get it first. It's more that I browse, see something I know I will want when it comes out (e.g. Oceans 11) and order it. It helps that it is dead simple to cancel through Play if you change your mind.

8. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    OK,there are some valid and interesting points here,but i still think that 6 months in advance for a DVD is way too long,after all you,you could get run over by a bus tomorrow :eek:

Incidently Pooch and alan,talking about the T2 R1 tin edition.I bought this when it was first released and i got the tin edition but it was more of a metal sleeve than an enclosed box like the R2 version.Were they all like this?

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Ron240,

You said: "Incidently Pooch and alan,talking about the T2 R1 tin edition.I bought this when it was first released and i got the tin edition but it was more of a metal sleeve than an enclosed box like the R2 version.Were they all like this?"

Yes, the T2 film was released with a metal sleeve, rather than a proper Tin Box, but it's still frequently cited as the "Tin Edition".

The Tin Edition was limited to about 10,000 copies, I think. After that, they no longer produced the metal sleeve, and just shipped the film in a regular Amaray plastic case.

Pooch

10. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the plaggy one :(

Laurel

11. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    Cheers Pooch.
    Maybe got a bit of a rarity then,cause 10,000 isnt really that much considering it was only meant to cover the R1 market.

12. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I got the region 1 T2 tin. (although everytime somebody picks it up it falls out the bottom and drops on the floor. Grrr:mad: )

PLAY let me down on the Akira Tin, even though I pre-ordered months in advance!:mad::rolleyes::(

13. CWB

CWB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would never preorder. I always wait to see some reviews of the disc (though not the film) first. At the moment I am waiting to see if the R2 SE version of "Monty Python & the Holy Grail" has the same faults as the R1.

I actually hate to get the gimmicky containers - I'd much prefer to get a normal keepcase. I'd rather they didn't do even the cardboard ones such as the "Sixth Sense" Vista Series or the "Moulin Rouge".

14. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Cliff,

You said: "At the moment I am waiting to see if the R2 SE version of "Monty Python & the Holy Grail" has the same faults as the R1."

What are these faults you are talking about, as I've just got the R2 version of this hilarious movie? So, if anything's "faulty" then I need to know, in case I need to return it.

Cheers, in advance,

Pooch

15. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've just bought and watched the R1 Holy Grail. Can't see any probs. What are they? Agree with Pooch. Hilarious :D

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??

Rob

16. CWB

CWB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are 2 faults which are encoded onto the disc, but only the first is apparent on all players. The other does not show up on all players, but of course if it worked properly on your current player might not if you bought a new player later on. They are:

1) The first Swedish subtitle is missing ("Mønti Pythøn ik den Hølie Grãilen").

2) The second fault would be extremely annoying. Spontaneous subtitles keep popping up even if you are listening to the no-subtitle soundtrack.

A replacement has been produced which cures the second fault only, but the original seems not to have been recalled.

Go here and search on "holy grail glitch" to see all the details: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/index.php

I always check out American websites before buying a R1 disc, and that is why I've not yet got "Holy Grail".

So Pooch, is the elusive subtitle there or not (I presume the spontaneous ones did not appear for you)?

17. Bally_p

Bally_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to admit - I saw the film when it came into our cinemas and i did thought to my self that has to go with my collection with Shrek + Toy Story but I'm going to wait until it is released i can wait - I can wait - come on people you will get it _ Dont worry ...

Overall (Sad)SAD :rolleyes:

18. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Have just re-watched parts of Holy grail on an old 725 I have. I can now see the problems of subtitles popping up. This doesn't happen on the PC I use. Don't know how I would stand for a refund. May well replace the PC, or want to lend the disc out. Think I'll Email Play247 and find out the score.

Cheers Rob.