Monsters Inc. - Unimpressive DVD!

I went for the the R2 Collectors 'coz I prefer DTS (given a choice)
I have all the Bugs Life (1st ever DVD :blush: ) Toy Storys ; Shrek etc (missed Antz - must get that sometime)
Monsters Inc is another superb DVD - the video & audio are outstanding (DTS-ES deep joy & the neighbours seemed to like it!)
The story is great & I expect to watch it again so its a "keeper"
My kids (well young adults really) both loved it
My only whinge is that it wasnt that funny - compared to Shrek (my favourite of the genre) which is full of "in your face" humour or the two Toy Storys where the humour is a bit more sedate ...
Anyway enough of this must go & watch Blade II :D
Paul

Originally posted by Confucius
Try and get hold of the R1 DTS version - full bit-rate bliss!

Which is more than can be said for recent DTS discs which are not full bit rate.

Originally posted by Ian J

Which is more than can be said for recent DTS discs which are not full bit rate.

But still sound better than their dd counterparts!

Originally posted by michaelm
But still sound better than their dd counterparts!
Really, it's all a matter of taste. I prefer DD you calling me a Poof.:p ;) :D

Anyway I just measured the bit rate on the disk using my Toshiba 510's bit rate meter(not a really acurate measurement I know) and this disk spends most of it's time at around 5.5 but does go off the scale in places.

Hi,

I think the reason that the UK R2 edition of "Monsters Inc: Collectors Edition" isn't emblazaned with the DTS logo, is probably down to bureaucracy at Disney HQ!

DVD releases with Disney, Buena Vista et al, are never simple. They always have to balls something up, be it the picture, audio, extras or layer-change.

Anyway, I think whether or not someone has the facilities to play DTS DVD's, it should be made clear that that option is on the DVD if you want it! Imagine wanting a film, but not buying it because some idiot forgot to mention the inclusion of Hard-Of-Hearing Subtitles. You'd feel pretty peed off, to say the least, if you were profoundly deaf, and needed that particular feature.

I know that DTS isn't a necessity, but it seems really pathetic that Disney have made no attempt to mention this important feature.

Also, I notice that a Deluxe version of "Shrek" is coming out soon: 2 DVD's, plus a 3rd disc (a CD) containing the soundtrack. There are supposedly 11 hours worth of extras. Me thinks that's an exaggeration....!

Oh, and has anyone else noticed that the Collector's Edition of "Monsters Inc" is supposed to contain both the 4:3 and Widescreen versions, as well as both a DTS and Dolby 2.0 Surround sound soundtrack (in English)? I couldn't see the 4:3 version on any of the menu options, nor the 2.0 Surround English audio track either!

Is this another UK DVD screw-up designed solely to pee-off R2 owners?!

Pooch

Originally posted by PoochJD
Also, I notice that a Deluxe version of "Shrek" is coming out soon: 2 DVD's, plus a 3rd disc (a CD) containing the soundtrack. There are supposedly 11 hours worth of extras. Me thinks that's an exaggeration....!
By all accounts, this is just the same 2-disk version as the R1 with the CD thrown in for good measure. The 11 hours is probably right when you include the DVD-ROM content as well - in one of the apps on the disk you can record your own voice onto scenes from the movie (it auto lip synchs it too :))- I know it's really for kids but I had a whale of a time playing about with it for a good hour or two :D
Originally posted by PoochJD
Oh, and has anyone else noticed that the Collector's Edition of "Monsters Inc" is supposed to contain both the 4:3 and Widescreen versions, as well as both a DTS and Dolby 2.0 Surround sound soundtrack (in English)? I couldn't see the 4:3 version on any of the menu options, nor the 2.0 Surround English audio track either!

Is this another UK DVD screw-up designed solely to pee-off R2 owners?!
No 4:3 on the R1 collector's edition either :)

I can't believe what I'm reading here.

I'm a character animator for a video game company and I think that the Monster's Inc collectors Edition is worth its weight in gold!!! All the concept drawings, the charater turn around, storyboarding, original story concept and all the documentaries are priceless.

I deal with all of that everyday, and these guys are geniuses at work.

I guess because I do this for a living that I am slightly bias. The character animation that the animators at Pixar do are simple the best I have ever seen... I can watch the same scene several times over and over and over and pick up something new everytime. The story is excellent and I even prefer MI to Toy Story 1 & 2.

I have watched it 5 times since buying it on Saturday and I feel I will never tire of watching this.

One thing I did notice is that several scenes have been changed from the version I have on VCD... which was a recording of the American cinema release. Signs on walls, and text on computer screens are different as logos and symbols often replace the text that was shown in the VCD.

I remember that in one of the many excellent documentaries on the DVD they say that they release a version for each country with all text translated into that language or use signs to replace text. This must be the European version as the American version is slightly different. If anyone is interested i can post some pics to illustrate my point.

Nick23,

I'd be interested to see the differences between the US and UK versions as well. :)

My view -

I've had the pre-release DVD since January (DVD not VCD) with DD and DTS on it. My daughter has watched this film 50 times plus.

The story is not TS or TS2, but still pretty good. I bought the Collectors Edition and am vey pleased with the extra contents.

Each to their own.

Here are some screen captures from the VCD which was a recording of the US cinema version.

The first 2 pictures are taken when Mike is on his way to work and standing next to the big dinosaur "Ted", waiting to cross the road.

The next one is from the news program reporting that a child is loose. Note the text and not the sign.

The last in a picture of the scare floor which has changed to the laughter floor and has a "Joke of the day" at the bottom. In the UK DVD version the "Joke of the day" screen has been replaced by signs.

I haven't got my DVD to hand at the moment to post the contrasting images, so If someone else could screen capture the same sceens it would help illustrate the comparison.

Although the region 2 version has these changes, it would be interesting to see if R1 has them as well.

MI1.jpg

MI2.jpg

MI3.jpg

MI4.jpg

HI,

While we're on the topic, I also noticed that Disney UK have finally gotten around to releasing the "A Bugs Life: Collectors Double DVD Edition" as well today! :eek:

Admittedly, it's only taken 2 years (or so) compared to the USA, and has less extras than the Region 1 edition, and has a cheap-jack cardboard sleeve over a single Amaray case, (with the second disk on one of those hinged trays on the inside of the case ala Columbia Tristar R2 releases), but apart from that, they're identical! :D

Who says that the UK never gets good quality and timely DVD releases?! :D :D

Pooch

Originally posted by Nick23
The first 2 pictures are taken when Mike is on his way to work and standing next to the big dinosaur "Ted", waiting to cross the road.
What is the difference here between these shots and the DVD release?

The next one is from the news program reporting that a child is loose. Note the text and not the sign.
Sorry, what do you mean?

The last in a picture of the scare floor which has changed to the laughter floor and has a "Joke of the day" at the bottom. In the UK DVD version the "Joke of the day" screen has been replaced by signs.

I haven't got my DVD to hand at the moment to post the contrasting images, so If someone else could screen capture the same sceens it would help illustrate the comparison.

Although the region 2 version has these changes, it would be interesting to see if R1 has them as well.
I have the Canadian R1 and can confirm that the Joke of the Day is still present (although you can't read it) and recall the other screen shots being present too, so it would appear as if the R1 release is identical to the cinematic release.

I'd like to see the UK screens now - I'm very curious :(

I remember the changes made to Demolition Man. Originally, all the restaurants were Taco Bell, but when they released the movie in the UK and Australia, they felt that Taco Bell wasn't well known enough so they changed it to Pizza Hut throughout the movie. It meant that Sly Stallone got badly dubbed and they had to composite new signs on the restaurants. Made me insist on buying the R1.

OK, it looks as though the R1 version is the same as the VCD I have. Therefore could someone who has the R2 version post screen captures of the same scenes for comparison.

Reguarding the 3rd picture of the news broadcast. On the VCD text overlays the picture say "Kid Tastrophy" while on the DVD R2 it just has a warning sign similar to a radioactive sign.

Reguarding the 3rd picture of the news broadcast. On the VCD text overlays the picture say "Kid Tastrophy" while on the DVD R2 it just has a warning sign similar to a radioactive sign.
Ah I see! Thanks :)

Makes no real sense as to why they'd change the shots on the R2 tho does it? Madness if you ask me :rolleyes: Better for them to use subtitles to explain the captions for non-English speaking Europeans!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom