Monsters Inc. No 5.1 sound FX track?

J

John-D

Hi all,

Just looked at my Monsters Inc DVD and, there is no sound FX track, which is stated on the Play.com site. Does anyone know if its been removed for the dodgy froggy track?

JD
Ps. Great film (Toy Story 2 still rules though). :D

It's on the region 1 collectors edition, on the same page as the commentary is selected.
It can also be selected with your "audio" key.
It's only available if you choose the widescreen version however.

Cheers, Paul

Originally posted by Paden
It's on the region 1 collectors edition, on the same page as the commentary is selected.
It can also be selected with your "audio" key.
It's only available if you choose the widescreen version however.

Cheers, Paul

Nope! Just checked it again and there's no FX sound track. I have the R1 2-disc Widescreen Collectors Edition, but coming from Play.com its the Canadian version.

I have 3 audio tracks, 1) French, 2) English, 3) English (commentary track). No 5.1 sound FX track - bummer!

Does anybody else have this version?

Cheers,
JD

It's on the US version.

Mine is showing as shipping from Future Entertainment today, I just checked the website and it says it has this track, but doesn't confirm the aspect ratio, so i have mailed them to ask.

Sorry about the duff info John-D, assumed region 1 was region 1 but obviously not when it's Canadian!
There's no French audio on the US version.
On a side note on my copy I noticed a bit of distortion on the soundtrack?
Chapter 23, on the Waternoose dialogue "...it's all about presence!"?
Have you noticed anything?

Cheers, Paul

Originally posted by Paden
Sorry about the duff info John-D, assumed region 1 was region 1 but obviously not when it's Canadian!
There's no French audio on the US version.
On a side note on my copy I noticed a bit of distortion on the soundtrack?
Chapter 23, on the Waternoose dialogue "...it's all about presence!"?
Have you noticed anything?

Cheers, Paul

I checked this out when i saw your post.

I didn't hear anything wrong with my audio on chapter 23. All dialogue was clear, though there was sound that sounded like a crackle (twice), but this was from the movment off of Waternooses legs.

No duff info Paul, my fault, should of stated it was Canadian in the first place.

Thanks for the clear up!
JD

I guess my ears were still flapping from the sub-fest in Mike & Sulley's appartment when Boo laughs :D

Cheers, Paul

Can anyone tell me if the cd-wow one is the US or canadian version? I can't read their description cos it gives me a headache (one ruddy great paragraph!). i.e. does it have this FX soundtrack (not that I've got a foggiest what it is!).

Second question: What's this FX track? :D

Originally posted by nutcase_1uk
Can anyone tell me if the cd-wow one is the US or canadian version? I can't read their description cos it gives me a headache (one ruddy great paragraph!). i.e. does it have this FX soundtrack (not that I've got a foggiest what it is!).

Second question: What's this FX track? :D

No talking on screen, nor any music. Just wonderful sound FX from them geezers at Skywalker Sound, which i haven't got. :mad:

JD

Classic my friend.

That scene at the end, when Mike's doing the comedy sketch - FAULTLESS!!! :D

JD

Originally posted by John-D
No talking on screen, nor any music. Just wonderful sound FX from them geezers at Skywalker Sound, which i haven't got. :mad:

JD
It's on the R2 as well. Just not on the Canadian R1. How often are you going to listen to it anyway? Even if it was on my copy (I have the Canadian R1 as well), I wouldn't listen to it - ever!

Got mine this morning and can confirm that Future Ent are shipping the french version. So no 5.1 effects channel if you want it.

Hi Squirrel God,

RE: Supply of Canadian Region 1 DVD's instead of US versions.

With respect, I think your missing the point!

As long as E-tailers think it is acceptable practise to advertise that the goods that they are supplying contain features that in actual fact they don't, in order to attract your business, then it is only a matter of time before you find that a title is missing a feature that YOU do value!

I think that it should be the responsibility of the supplier to ensure that when they decide to offer the Canadian version of a title for sale in order to offer it at a price that undercuts those suppliers that are offering the genuine US version, they either 1. CLEARLY STATE THIS or 2. Make darn sure that it is an EXACT replica of it's US release! I can live with cosmetic differences such as French text on the cover and even the inclusion of an additional French Language track when it's a "TRUE ADDITION" and nothing has been sacrificed in order to make way for it, ( but even then I can't help but wonder if the Picture Bit Rate on the Canadian release will have been compromised in order to accommodate this!)

In addition, on those occasions that it only becomes clear late in the day that differences exist, ( I'll be charitable and assume that this is the case with Monsters, Inc. ) Your E-tailer should at least be e-mailing those people that have ordered the title and offering you the chance of a full refund prior to despatching the disc to you! ( Future Entertainment please take note: this should be a FULL REFUND! not less 2% for Bank Charges.) After all, they are not backwards when it comes to e-mailing you with special offers and reminders about your orders.

I DO value the missing effects track on this release ( It's certainly of more interest than the French Language Track that has replaced it ) and as such, I have today e-mailed Future Entertainment and suggested that they are in breech of our agreement and in order to honour it, they need to supply me with a US Region 1 version of this title which contains the missing track. ( Which by the way, is still being advertised on their web site as included on the discs that they supply despite the fact that THX 1138 e-mailed them and queried this issue yesterday.)

I shall defer from opening my disc in the hope that they feel compelled to exchange it for me. ( As well they should, seeing as how they saw fit to debit my credit card in advance for this title at the begining of July, which is when I placed my order for it, which in itself was on the strength of the features that were and still are, described on their web site.) I'll let you know how I get on.

Best Regards,
KBDVD,

Is the only reason people are not buying the R2 because of the price.:confused:

Originally posted by KBDVD
As long as E-tailers think it is acceptable practise to advertise that the goods that they are supplying contain features that in actual fact they don't, in order to attract your business, then it is only a matter of time before you find that a title is missing a feature that YOU do value!
I agree with that, yes. :)

If you bought it from a decent retailer, then you shouldn't have a problem getting a full refund and having your return postage repaid.

I can't help but wonder if the Picture Bit Rate on the Canadian release will have been compromised in order to accommodate this!
I doubt it very much! Have you watched it yet? It's an incredible transfer! I would expect the SFX soundtrack to have taken up the same room anyway.

Future Entertainment please take note: this should be a FULL REFUND! not less 2% for Bank Charges.
Oh dear. I hope you didn't buy yours from Future Ent! I had trouble returning a disk because it was advertised incorrectly. In the end, they only refunded me what I paid minus 2% and they refused to refund my return postage. They also made me wait almost 5 weeks for the refund, which only came after I nagged them continuously for it. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by kevb
Is the only reason people are not buying the R2 because of the price.:confused:
In my case, yes. Got mine for £11.99 from CD-WOW so can't really argue with that :D

Originally posted by Squirrel God
In my case, yes. Got mine for £11.99 from CD-WOW so can't really argue with that :D
Just wondered as the released date should not have really been a factor for pre order, as the UK date was before the US.

Chaps...
Why quibble about the odd few pounds...i'd happily pay 20 notes
for this release.
It was a great film. with some excellent extras.
My G/Friend saw this @ the Cinema and has constantly told me that i would like this...She was right!...
Seeings as though i have had a few great deals when buying the hardware to watch it on, a few lost quid doesn't really worry me too much for the software.

Adzman.

Originally posted by Squirrel God

I doubt it very much! Have you watched it yet? It's an incredible transfer! I would expect the SFX soundtrack to have taken up the same room anyway.

Squirrel God,

I'm replying to this post in the same manner that you replied to mine in the other thread on this subject.

"Perhaps you should read my post more carefully as you have not answered my question AT ALL".

The section of my post that prompted your above reply clearly expressed my concern that Picture Bit Rates "may"? be effected by the inclusion of a "true" ADDITIONAL French Language Track on those discs that have not had a feature removed to make way for it!........ie..NOT ON MONSTERS, INC!

As for your Have you watched it yet question?.....I fail to see how I could have watched it when I clearly stated at the end of my post that I'm putting off opening the disc until I get a response from Future Entertainment as to the possibility of swapping it for the US version!

I too can read and write, and I'm not an Imbicile either! Your persistent desire to find out why people want this f/x track has as much to do with the original "Where can I get the US version of Monsters, Inc. disc" theme of the other thread as my persistent desire to use both this thread and the other thread as an opportunity to highlight the dangers that are inherent with the present un-publicised despatch of Canadian DVD's to customers who are expecting the US version!.......So we are both guilty on this count!

Shame we can't all get on aint it! :(

Best Regards,
KBDVD.

p.s. I'll await your next ANGRY reply with interest.

With respect most people who read and post on these forums are aware that Play, Future Ent, Cd-Wow and a lot of the cheaper places to buy R1 DVD's stock Canadian disks. These are far cheaper to purchase by suppliers in bulk than their US equivalents and therefore savings are passed on to us. As has been mentioned in various threads about Bilingual covers it is now law in Canada to have these on most disks and also a french language track.

The stockists get their information on disk content from press releases produced by the film companies or their PR agents. So it's not really their fault as such. It is in as much as they should list the details of the Canadian disk and not the US from the country specific press release as and when it becomes available. This issue with Monsters Inc missing FX track may be as much of a shock to suppliers as it was to you. Disney are really at fault as it would be them that made the decision to remove the FX track and replace it with a French language track to comply with Canadian Law.

At the end of the day you either want to own a film or not. You ultimately make the choice of which region to buy. I used to order all my films direct from the states via DVDexpress, if I ordered one at a time they were never stopped by customs, if the value exceeded £17.99 I had to pay duty. I got the arse with doing this every time so I started to use Play instead. My choice entirely after my first order looking at the DVD it was clearly obvious it was a Canadian disk as it had there rating system on the back. You Pay your money and you takes your choice.

Get a refund for your current disk and either order direct from the US or but the British version is the only advice I can offer. You'll never make the suppliers change their ways.

The section of my post that prompted your above reply clearly expressed my concern that Picture Bit Rates "may"? be effected by the inclusion of a "true" ADDITIONAL French Language Track on those discs that have not had a feature removed to make way for it!........ie..NOT ON MONSTERS, INC!
Your post did not made it clear that that is what you meant.

This would be a rare occurence on dual layer disks (and indeed most single layer disks) anyway.

As for your Have you watched it yet question?.....I fail to see how I could have watched it when I clearly stated at the end of my post that I'm putting off opening the disc until I get a response from Future Entertainment as to the possibility of swapping it for the US version!
It's good that you have not broken the seal. In this case, it should be easy for you to send the disk back to Future Ent for a refund (minus 2%). They will not be able to swap it for you - FutureEnt do not stock US disks. If you argue with them about the info on their website, Future Ent will give you a simliar reponse to that which Kevb has given you, i.e. that they only put up the information that they get from the suppliers. I know because they have given me a similar response just recently

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40219

I'm not going to reply to the rest of your post as you have clearly misunderstood my intentions.

Girls, please holster your handbags.:rolleyes:

I've not been on for a couple of days, wish i didn't start this now.

"Can't we all just get along!"

But, it does p!ss me off when these DVD sites state, that the disc's have a certain feature, only for it to turn up at your door and then find out it's not on the disc.

That to me is misleading the buyer, so i've cancelled all my R1 pre-orders with play.com, and ordered all USA disc's from other suppliers.

JD

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom