1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monsters Inc. Disk problems. Post here.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by mixalot, Sep 3, 2002.

1. mixalot

mixalot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seems to be a few players that have problems with this film, i've just got a the new pioneer 656 and it seems to have problems with the mike's new car feature. It plays it fine but the vocals are really quiet while the background noise is at normal volume.

Anyone else got problems with it?????

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed a couple of glitches with the picture, where it seemed to stutter a bit - kind a like when Sky digital does the same!?

I have the Canadian R1 version

Fec

3. mixalot

mixalot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what player you got mate?

4. Sammy1001

Sammy1001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my Pioneer DV717, at layer change playing w/s version, it's exactly from chapter 30-31 (or was it 31-32?) anyway 84.02 mins, when sully and mike goto see Boo's door all put back together.

On my pc Toshiba DVD-rom - only the usual slight stutter and continues fine.

On my DVDR890 recorder - plays fine even less stutter for layer change.

Could the pioneer get confused on layer and chapter change - must admit never noticed if these circumstances have happended before. It has never done this before with any other disk.

Apart from that great disc with a stunning array of extras.
    Loved the Mikes new car and the Bird short.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember reading of similar problems with Monsters Inc on Pioneer DVD players at http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/

Might be worth searching there...

Here's one relevant thread:
    http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112649

No glitches or irregular pauses on my Sony DVP NS300 - plays perfectly. Stunning transfer too! (I have Canadian R1) :)

6. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    100% okay on my Tag DVD32R.
    Stunning picture and sound. Not a patch on Toy Story, but still a very funny film.

Mike's New Car has to be the funniest thing on the disc :D

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shrek's still the best of those CGI movies if you ask me.

Love all the extra short films on Monsters Inc as well :) (and boy oh boy, there are quite a few of 'em hidden in the all the extras menus :eek:)

8. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,839
    The THX trailer has no LFE, bit of a kick in the teeth but the film sound brilliant with plenty bottom end.

9. drewsaq

drewsaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recieved my R1 copy on Saturday and watched it on my tosh mz1 (denon 2800) and wow superb but !!!!!!! the whole picture has got the jitters!! the picture goes up and down only slightly really fast making you feel quite sick. It seemed alot worse when there was lettering in red or blue Im not one for sitting down and looking for flaws in a transfer but was just wondering if any one else has come across this or is it my denon player . Just as a matter of interest the disc with the extras is just fine. Any advice please: 2319 !!!!

10. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Strange one that. Picture is faultless on my copy.
    Get yourself another copy and if this is still the same then it sounds like a prob with your player :(

11. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine got the jitters for the first 5 mins then perfect. in the setup menu for video setting when i do the white box test it says higher or lower your contrast to see 4 different white boxes, there are no boxes on mine?
    strange?
    good film though not as good as toy story 1 and 2

12. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    What happens when you lower the contrast? It should be one big white box and theres actually 8 other boxes in four shades of white within it. (assuming its like other THX Optimizers).

13. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all i can see is one big white box even if a lower the contrast and higher it,
    plus when you get to the tint test the screen freezes up
    but the pic quality is suberb

14. stan_toopee

stan_toopee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is anyone having probs with disc 1?
    mine won't work in any of my players and also causes the PC to crash. It's the region 1 from future entertainment.(only ordered yesterday)
    disc 2 (extras) plays fine

15. Dar

Dar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm having the same problems with my Toshiba SD-2107U. I get the FBI warning but then is tells me there is a problem with the disc. It looks like some sort of misting on the disc. Maybe a glue problem?? not sure.

I did get it to work once but it stopped at the THX trailer. I know my player is old but this is the first disc problem I've ever had. Gonna send an e-mail to play.com about a replacement.

16. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

I rented the R2 2-disc edition out, and it played perfectly. No sound or picture problems of any kind.

I have a Pioneer 626D multi-region machine.

Pooch

17. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    R2 Played Fine on my Toshiba 510. Has too be one of the best looking disks ever.

18. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Got mine from Tesco on Sat, about a dozen times through the film, the video drops out for afew seconds but the sound carries on. Strangely though, this only happens when its played back in RGB, S- video is fine.
    I've got a Sony 900 and a Loewe Vitros, Ixos scart for RGB, Ixos S- vid cable( for S-vid!).
    Anyway, exchanged it today.... same.:(

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine plays fine on pioneer 545... literally jaw-dropping pic and sound quality!! I don't think I've ever been that surprised by the quality of a disc before.

20. enajh2

enajh2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can echo this too!! Absolutely stunning. :D

I noted a Plasma thread about being able to see the individual hairs on Sully, yet I saw all of these on my 28" Tosh telly!

The panning of voices, music, and effects is near perfection - front to back, back to front, diagonally, across the fronts and backs - I got pretty much every permutation you can think of. Even the music shifts around during the action pieces! :cool:

Hats off to the mixer(s)!! :D

ps. Watching Bugs Life Deluxe w/ DTS tonight! ;)

21. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    It must be really good if you have watched it 12 times in 2 days. I can't wait to get mine home now.

22. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think he means the video drops put 12 times during the course of watching the film... not that he's watched it 12 times already.:p :p

23. Metallifux

Metallifux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my Samsung 511 and my Lite-On DVD rom with R1 release both fail when Sully and Mikey go to see Boo's door, whether this is the layer change or not I don't know but it actually looks like on my disk that one of the layers has been mispressed and there is a gap at the edge of the disk. I can't access the last 2 chapters at all.

24. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But did you notice some of the hairs had split ends. :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very impressed with picture/sound quality, even though I'm sub less and running my sons Kef 1000 untill the big mother arrives, done a half decent job, use of all channels very good. For picture and sound quality I put this disc just ahead of Shrek, IMO. :D

25. paulryan

paulryan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, i just received a modified Sony DVP-NS700 from techtronics and have exactly the same problem, it appears to be that some dialogue is quiet if its not in the foreground. I did scour all the settings and removed any surround configuration and it appears to have improved somewhat. I will be enabling all this again when i get my new yamaha amp so will see if this is still the case.

I have contacted techtronics support and they never came across this problem before, same story with sony.

I have also noticed one freeze in the r2 disk from play.com
    its when boo decides to sleep in sullys bed and he goes into the closet. It freezes for about 1/2 sec and then contnues ok.

26. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That is where the layer change is on the UK disk. Nothing to Worry about it's just badly placed.

27. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are listening via Virtual Dolby on your TV (or 3D-PHONIC or something similar) then dialogue will be muffled/quieter due to the frequency modification that takes place to create the surround sound effect.

It is also a side effect of listening to (downmixed) DD5.1 through a TV and not an amp. You can reduce the effect considerably by turning off the Audio DRC on your Sony DVD player or setting it to "wide". I don't think you can turn this off on Pioneer players though, from conversations I've had with other members on other threads.

28. paulryan

paulryan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this i will try later, true i am using a thomson tv with virtual dolby but did set this to pure stereo on the hunch it may be something to do with that.
    When you say its a side effect of listening to (downmixed) DD5.1 through a TV and not an amp do you mena that this is what everybody hears when listening to a dvd through a tv with no dd support ??? If so isnt this a major gotcha ?

29. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,839

Really i have never heard of this disc, where did you get it from.

30. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, there's nothing wrong with your equipment.

In fact, it is good because you can control the Audio DRC on your Sony player, but others have reported problems (mainly with the fact that adjusting the Audio DRC has no effect on the Scart output).

If you think about it logically, if you had an amp, you could adjust the centre (dialogue) speaker (ideally, you would calibrate this correctly). But you can't do anything on a TV if it is just stereo or virtual dolby - all the sounds have been downmixed to come out of only 2 or 3 speakers so naturally, with some DD5.1 mixes, there will be some side-effects (particularly where the dialogue channel was not relatively much louder to begin with). Some TVs will naturally sound better than others of course because of the quality of their internal speakers and because of the various sound modes they provide (e.g. BBE actively enhances dialogue).

DD5.1 is also a "quieter" soundtrack than DD2.0 surround or DD2.0 stereo.

You can read all about this on the Dolby website. Also, if you search the forums, you will find other threads on this and similar topics.