1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monsters Ball

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Brigadeer, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Brigadeer

Brigadeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondered what peoples opinions on this film are.....is it worth a purchase ?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about that film or many others because for some reasons the best films of 2001/2002 are barely released in the cinema where I live, and the UK in general.
    I recall expecting the Royal Tenenbaums to be released at my local cinema one friday, and being presented with only the crapness of Blade 2 and Crossroads.
    Other great films I was never able to see as they were intended (in the cinema), because of **** blockbuster releases:

Ghost World
    The Man who wasn't there
    Royal Tenenbaums

Looks very good though, Halle Berry won the best actress oscar for it, so if you are a fan of quality acting and drama like myself - then you'll want to buy it.

3. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hmmm

How can you not have seen the film yet reccommend it for its quality acting and drama?

Is it because Halle Berry won an oscar?

I havent seen this film but plan to. My fear though is that Ms Berry won the oscar not because of her acting ability but because she happend to be black the year that hollywood decided to recognise Sidney Poitier, although I'd love to be wrong.

Regards.

4. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    It's well worth a view. HB is very good in it and so, importantly, is the rest of the cast including Billy Bob, who slipped from attention and never got a mention from HB in her Oscar address - shame on her. This is a character driven piece where each player is of interest in some shape or form. Although racism plays a heavy role, it is the longing of emptiness for another that most feel at some point in their lives that runs through the piece.
    Oh, I'm filling up...[​IMG]

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even if she hadn't have won, the film and her performance have to be good, its just a small "independent" film - how often do we see those at the oscars.