Monster powercenter

B

bongpig

Im looking to try one of these monster powercenters. probably the HTS1000.

Does anybody know of any online stores that sell these?

Thanks

Try and get hold of one of these :)

monster.gif

Mike.

Hi, i work at comet (for my sins) and im pretty sure we have them but there about £100 and i dont think are worth it. An £8 masteplug thing from a DIY store will be quite good too.

Read my post on the last page on the "sticky: DIY mains cables". Ive gave alot of info there on filters etc.

Basically what ive said is that most appliances have filers in them anyway to stop noise getting in and out causing harmfull interferance to other things and themselves.

Stuart.

thanks stuart.

I would agree that 90% of the time these things are of no use, but I live on a farm, and share my electrics with varoius farm equipment. I get some serious problems sometimes with interference and noise in all my AV kit.
Ive already had an electrician come in and bang in a new earth rod for the house, which has helped greatly, but not cleared up the problems completely. I was recommended a power conditioner to further help clean the mains I get in, hence this thread.

You say comet stock them? Ill go check it out, and see if it helps me. Otherwise, at least ill be elliminating another possible cause for my problems.

yeh, i know we have something like that. Be warned... they carry about £10 commission so youll be swamped with sales staff offering to "carry it down to the tills". Most the monster cables over £50 there carry 10% and under £50 carry 5% commission!!!

Tread with care when you go in.

It may also not be mains induced but could be in signal cables or directly into equiptment circuitry.

Welders are bad for causing noise. Also id have your equiptment checked as most farm motors etc. are brushless induction motors that dont cause interferance. Connections and switches could be to fault and just need a clean to stop them arcing.

Try finding out which thing causes it.

Stuart.

Thanks for the heads up Stuart. I bought my TV from Comet so ive already had dealings with them. Your right, they do seem a bit desperate. I had about 5 salesmen all over me like a bad rash, trying to take the sale away from the others!

Regards the mains, im gonna try and find the source of the problem as you suggest. I dont actually own the farm, but rent a small cottage on the property. So you see, I dont have access to all the electric machines, switches and connections on the farm, as farmer-man wont let me start searching around to find the problem... however, Ill certainly try!

So whats the deal with these mains conditioners. If as you say they dont work, then whats the point? I have a friend who plays electric guitar and had huge success with some of Russ Andrews products, and will never go back now. There must be some truth in it?

There is some truth in it but not as much as i think. I have know they do work but when you get the inside components for about £10 from RS it seams pointless.

I think under UK radio law anybody what is knowlingly causing interference can be made to do something about it. I think this is one of these ones that have the words "as far as possible". That is if its too expensive etc to do then he wont have to do it.

Call citezens advice.

Stuart.

hi i have just tried a monter power center from my local real hifi store (not Comet just your regular hi end dealer) and have found an improvment £100 on 6k worth of equipment is a good deal
:thumbsup:

Ebuyer do the HTS 1000 for £299 inc. VAT, but I think it's overpriced for what you're getting. You can get a 1000VA UPS for £35 from the same company with a similar level of protection, and it will over-ride short power cuts completely.

Just to add a second on the UPS advice. I am in a similar situation to you Bongpig. Even have to run off a generator sometimes.... UPS works very well. If you're worried about mains interference then for about £5 you can modify a £10 surge protector from Argos or the like and hey presto! You have the same as a Monster clean power thing.
The technologys not quite as earth shattering as Monster would have you believe.
A dedicated ring main would be an equally good option.

Nick_UK said:
http://www.ebuyer.com You can get a 1000VA UPS for £35 from the same company with a similar level of protection, and it will over-ride short power cuts completely.

I was convinced you'd made a typo there Nick, 'till I looked at the site. Incredible :eek:.

They're good units, too. The PC software is a bit lacking, though, but you don't strictly need it.

Would their 650 VA version do the same job? That's only £23.50 inc VAT.

Te Bheag said:
Would their 650 VA version do the same job? That's only £23.50 inc VAT.

Te Bheag,

Your avatar is making me thirsty. I feel a wee dram of a nightcap is in order.

Do I take it that you may have some allegiance outside Wolverhampton :D

_________
Dermot

Ebuyer have carried these UPS's before, the software came in for some criticism and some were DOA. I dunno if the native windows service will see them either. Anyway, they look v.v. good VFM and I've posted a post in the Special Offers section:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203460

And I've mentioned the supercheapy Dell UPS-Compatible 4-way lead too. A pair of these turns a twin-outlet UPS into an 8-way mains adapter which takes standard UK plugs :smashin:

Mike.

Actually, I don't think a UPS will necessarily do the same job in a 'normal home environment', as there are limitations on the AC connections available. The Monster solution may still be the best as it allows a larger number of normal three pin plugs to be utilised. Sadly the reduced size of the AV market, compared to the computer market, means higher costs.

You didn't see my post then ? :)

Oops no, a few minutes is a long time in web-world... Good post, thanks. :thumbsup:

Alastair (Wolves by adoption, not origination)

I've placed an order for both the UPS from Ebuyer and the extensions from dell. Thanks for the advice! I'll post the results when it is all set up.

Slainte! Alastair

sorry don't know how to post the link but a while ago i asked questions about the monster 'things'

after much discussion many of us settled on the Belikin AV pure 8 way power conditioner and surge protector - this has 4 stages of mains conditioning

unlimited payout should your av equipment be damaged by power surges - and a free replacement unit if it sacrifices itself to protect your equipment

have a look

samjet said:
......unlimited payout should your av equipment be damaged by power surges - and a free replacement unit if it sacrifices itself to protect your equipment

I don't want to sound negative, but I think if a disaster ever befell your house, the maximum payout you would ever see would be what the insurance assessor thought your gear was worth. Believe me, there are always limits with insurance companies. Since the component that sacrifices itself in the unit costs no more than £1, I guess the manufacturers are on to a winner.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Flimber said:
Ebuyer have carried these UPS's before, the software came in for some criticism and some were DOA. I dunno if the native windows service will see them either. Anyway, they look v.v. good VFM and I've posted a post in the Special Offers section:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203460

And I've mentioned the supercheapy Dell UPS-Compatible 4-way lead too. A pair of these turns a twin-outlet UPS into an 8-way mains adapter which takes standard UK plugs :smashin:

Mike.

The software isn't that good, but I've purchased 10 of these from Ebuyer for use in my business, and have yet to see a bad one. A replacement battery for an APC unit would set you back £50, and these sell for about £20 less for a complete unit.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom