Monster LightSpeed Optical cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Mujja, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Mujja

Mujja
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Just got my Panasonic DD5.1 TV and DVD player delivered today. There wasn't an optical cable included with the DVD player so i quickly drove down to Currys to pick one up.

They only had the Monster LightSpeed series in stock. I didn't realise optical cables were so expensive (i'm new to this). I finally picked up the Lightspeed 200 for £60. Didn't have time to shop around.

Anyway, been checking on the web just to make sure I wasn't charged too much and found some optical cables for as little as £10.

What I want to know is, is this cable worth the extra money. I'm connecting to my TV which has DTS/DD5.1 decoder built in, not using and external amp. Only external speakers are the ones which came with TV. And i'm not planning on upgrading in th near future.

So, with my setup in mind, would a cheaper cable be better suited? Or are the cheaper ones just 'cheap' and I should stick with the one I bought.

With the £50 i save I could get some more DVDs.

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    £60 for a Optical Cable :eek:.

Bring it back mate. You should be spending around £15 to £20 on one of those. With optical cables, there is very little, if any, difference between the cheaper ones and the more expansive ones. The optical cable is transferring light and need not be concerned with multiple screening shields etc. There have been many exhaustive tests carried out on optical cables over the years and for the most part, there is never any variation between them. Electrical/Coax cables work differently and I always buy the best I can afford in these but my trusty 1.0m Keene Sterling Gold Optical Cable priced at £13 has served me well over the past 3 or 4 years :).

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you want a second opinion, I agree with Groundy

4. Mujja

Mujja
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    groundy

thanks for the reply, was just about to post my findings since i posted.

After reading other threads here and other sites I have realisied I could have got just as good performance from a much cheaper coax or optical digital cable.

First thing tomorrow i will be taking this cable back for a refund and buying a cheaper cable from elsewhere.

I will still need optical cause on my Panasonic 36pb50 the AV1 or AV4 inputs are the only ones which support RGB scart plus digital inputs. I could use a coax cable and move my DVD player to AV4, but then I would have to move my XBox to AV1 and I think I like the DVD player better on AV1. Just easier for the wife to find ;)

[​IMG]