Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Cha1ky

Outstanding Member
Reaction score

Last edited:
More info (not fully confirmed): http://kotaku.com/new-monster-hunter-coming-to-ps4-1796039892

- "early 2018"
- World-wide servers. So no more region-locking, which should mean better player numbers in general
- 4 player co-op, drop in / drop out
- grappling hooks (unknown mechanics)
- camouflage
- seamless map, no loading areas
- dynamic day/night cycle
- mentions "ecosystem", so maybe a bit more realism on environment and animals interacting with each other?

My immediate reaction was, this looks/feels a little different to what I was expecting. But still, I'm just very happy that I will get to play Monster Hunter on either the PS4 or PC!

Sounds really promising.

Here's all the summary info that has been captured on GAF.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Update 2:

Huge fan of the series and saw the single player theatre demo at E3. I came away feeling this is definitely a traditional Monster Hunter made "next-gen". Here are my notes:

+ Health and stamina bars not always visible
+ Use items at near full movement speed
+ Can lock on to monsters and quick turn camera like 3DS
+ Scout flies replace paintballs and show both trail and location
+ you activate scout flies by finding residue from a monster and taking samples, seems you can get enough to make it permanently on
+ Minimap can zoom to zone
+ Map still segregated into numbered zones, more interconnected, and no loading between them. But moving between zones is generally via narrow corridors
+ Slingshot used a lot for luring monsters
+ Traps and flash bombs built into environment, maybe still consumables available?
+ Some kind of paralysis inducing consumable knife
+ Monsters have a lot of cool animations for fighting each other, picking each other up
+ Mounting works like 4U, but you can move between mount spots. Also some way of eventually doing an attack
+ Great Sword moveset looks the same, but the effects for charge were much less intense audiovisually
+ Cutting tail looks hilariously exactly the same
+ Can use hookshot thing to repel down surfaces
+ Two new large monsters - the TRex and the frog thing
+ frog thing regurgitated some food it ate for little monsters to enjoy
+ had some way of summoning the flying monster to take you to base camp at seemingly any time
+ change weapons and armour at base camp
+ had a Palico buddy complete with its own weapon armour
+ HBG looked like it could always move slowly while shooting
+ HBG machine gun thing seemed like a special mode, depleted a meter
+ HBG had many ammo types and traditional ammo switching mechanics
+ sharpness meter was visible but never sharpened
+ gathering plants was instant with no animation
+ carving was slow
+ the demo had really aggressive tutorializing with the quest giver talking to you throughout and her head popping up on the right of the screen

Update:

Additional information from Dengeki confirms this is basically Monster Hunter V.

• Monster Hunter: World has been in development for four years.
  • Originally, it was going to be called "Monster Hunter 5", but the development team really liked the name, "World" (Japanese ワールド).
  • The Base Camp spawns in random places. Each time a hunt starts, hunters will be at a different Base Camp.
  • Hunters can change weapons and armor midhunt by going to the Base Camp. This feature was added due to there usually being multiple large monsters in an area and from each having a different strength or weakness.
  • Hunters can now hunt freely without being held back by the main objective/quest, even if the quest is complete. Hunters can hunt freely without any limits now.
  • Hunters use Scout Flies as guides to help them navigate the area if they can't find the monster and to find certain items, including drool and footprints.
  • The monsters can easily change the environment you are fighting in with certain attacks and destroying certain objects.
  • Each large monster in a location has a territory in a certain part of the area. In some cases, hunters may need to lure another threat into their territory in order to get their target to reveal itself.
  • By hiding from monsters, hunters can avoid fighting them or prepare for a silent escape from the battle.
  • Capcom thought about giving the monsters health bars due to a majority of people. Globally, fans requested for a way to see how much damage they were dealing, so Capcom decided to add damage numbers to the this game.
  • The Quest Giver was fully voiced in English, and she sent the hunter on a quest to hunt an Anjanath, the T-rex-like monster shown in the reveal.
  • Hunters can quickly pick up resources as they run by, meaning you don’t have to stop and wait for foraging animations.

Source 1: TwitLonger — When you talk too much for Twitter
Source 2: 『モンスターハンター:ワールド』ではベースキャンプでの装備変更が可能。ペイントボールが撤廃!

Source: Gaijinhunter on Twitter

Original Post:

There's sourcing for everything at the link.
  • For new people coming in, here's a recap of info that has been shared so far by Capcom employees who have worked on/with Monster Hunter.
  • A 4:56 video that shows a bit more extended footage of the things we've already seen.
  • Monster Hunter: World is not a spin-off.
  • Monster Hunter: World was worked on by the main development team in Japan.
  • You can play offline.
  • Fishing, mining, and capturing bugs still in the game.
  • All 14 weapon types confirmed in the game.
  • Tails still cuttable.
  • Hunt, Carve, Forge loop is still there.
  • Still has the same rewarding and challenging gameplay.
  • Health, stamina, potions, sharpness still present.
  • Sound still plays after making a good well done steak.
  • Targeting locked 30FPS across all platforms (referring to console).
  • The game uses the MT Framework. Maybe PC as well, weird wording in this one.
  • Insect Glaive will be in the game.
  • When asked about Hunter Arts, response was "Brand new title. Brand new gameplay systems in place!"
  • Separate maps, but zones are gone!
  • More clarification on maps/zones: "It's not open world game, but all the maps are massive and wide open, without any loading screens :)"
  • Charge Blade is in, Tonfa is not.
  • No underwater combat.
  • No Prowler Mode in Monster Hunter World.
  • Palicoes are in the game.
  • In-game voice chat is supported.
  • You can either choose to sneak past small monsters to avoid fighting them, or kill them to collect/loot their bodies. The world is "hella flexible."
  • Gestures will be present in Monster Hunter: World.
  • They are completely focused on World for the western markets, and Monster Hunter: World is once again confirmed as the next main title in the series.
  • After being asked if there will be a Monster Hunter 5 or a game for the Japanese audiences, they reply was: "This is the next generation of Monster Hunter!"
  • You can both do drop-in/drop-out co-op, or form a pre-hunt party in Monster Hunter: World.
  • Multiplayer is online-only, there is no local co-op.
  • Monsters will not have health bars, but damage numbers will appear.
  • Monster Hunter World is confirmed to NOT have regenerating health. I guess there was a rumor going around about this? Idk..
  • Japanese Twitter showed off some new screenshots: 1 2 3 4 5. As well as a new title card image.
  • /u/LinFTW did a recap of the Playstation Live Event information that can be found here.
  • Recap of a users experience from NeoGAF with behind-closed-doors Monster Hunter: World footage:

Sorry for late reply, it's a private demo you can sign up for at E3. Four developers from Japan playing the game unscripted (they were unable to defeat Rathalos lol).
  • Started demo off with just one hunter, he tracked the new monster with "scout flies" ...
  • when the battle got rough, he led the new monster to Rathalos Nest very high up in the environment.
  • Rathalos was pissed to see the hunter and the monster creeping into his lair and preceded to wreck everything.
  • Great animations of the monsters fighting each other. The lone hunter sends signal flare and 3 other devs join mid battle.
  • Lots of vertical combat, more than MH4. Seems all hunters have a grappling hook.
  • The monsters interactions with each other was very cool, they encountered 3 different large monsters during demo.
  • One of them ate an herbivore whole lol.
  • The rapid fire on the heavy bowgun is a special ability.
  • The combat looks and feels like traditional monster hunter with quality of life improvements.
  • Day and night cycle is realtime, Rathalos destroyed a dam which cause an area to flood. Sweeping 2 of the hunters out of the area.
  • I really like that they went back to a more prehistoric feeling and mood to the game.
  • The fours hunters fighting together looked awesome, Rathalos has many new attacks, throws and animations.
  • The bow has a nice new attack which drops small bombs on top of the monsters.
  • I think they finally updated the Rathalos model haha.
  • I wish it was a bit more stylized, but the Graphics look great.

Source:
Live from Sony's E3 presentation: Monster Hunter on PS4 • r/MonsterHunter

Source:
[Live Thread] Playstation Live from E3 - Monster Hunter World (June 13 @ 5:45pm PDT) • r/MonsterHunter

And the older info:

Trailer:

Livestream video:

DCKgqJPV0AAgCjc.jpg:large

Last edited:
And a gameplay video with English voice-over explaining mechanics and stuff:

Having last played on PS2, there's definitely some features from Nintendo games he talks about as "same old" and "returning" which are totally new to me...

New footage, plus release date announced - 26th Jan

Yep saw this on *cough* another online communication place. Downloaded :smashin:

Mrs is threatening me with a chick-flick... :eek: i'll be on when I can though.

It's awesome, some nice changes, graphically its 10x better than MH3.

Sorry Mrs watched some 18th century movie on woman angsty American poets... :facepalm:

Anyway had a go later, solo'ed the three missions; but seemed harder co-op with a mate.
And how bad is the "Quest ID" stuff? Feels like a hangover from Nintendo handhelds, and not having real friends lists + invites.

I used to main hammer on MH(1), so enjoying that. Best time on mission 1 is just over 3 mins (with some flower picking):

And the 3rd mission, where I spent so long chasing back and forth:

EDIT: there is a lot to take in. I keep forgetting to target lock; the crafting looks extensive (not done any); item/weapon/armour combos for effects vs a monster's particular weaknesses; not used any traps, I recall them being kinda like Horizon Zero Dawn; and so on.

Certainly a positive demo, but i'd like to see if they can put in a modern lobby system and party invites.

Now to hunt the Rathalos :devil:

Last edited:
The co-op via sharing the Quest ID with friends is a bit inefficient. However, once they were in, the experience was very smooth.

Anyway, I really enjoyed my quick session on this. They offer a training mode so you can test out all the different weapons and combos. The map was bigger than I expected and there was so much to gather, I got sidetracked from my actual mission at first. Graphics are good, as are the animations of your characters, the monsters and also your adorable little palico cat, (who gets out a little boat to ride on if you walk through water). I found the UI a bit overwhelming, I've never played an MH game before though. After a few more sessions I'll probably be fine with that and also the controls.

Got my dates wrong - thought this was only available today. Downloading now.

Trying out the Hunting Horn:

Quite like it, similar-ish to the Hammer, but you trade raw damage to instead buff the party with tunes.
If you ignore the time spent running out, the actual fight was only 7 mins long; which is pretty comparable to my Hammer time I think.

EDIT: more info on the matchmaking, the full game is NOT like the beta :smashin:
You can form squads of 50 players, and be in 8 squads at once. Match-making via friends requests is an option!

Monster Hunter: World details 50-member Squads, more - Gematsu

Last edited:
So it seems like the demo is pretty much the same as the last one, but without the PSN+ requirement. I guess they really want to hammer the network to stress test it?
This means you do not need to delete and redownload if you have the first beta.

Also to remind people that the beta is kinda limited, and the full game features much more in the way of crafting, tactics (all monsters had reduced health apparently), and way more monsters.

I really enjoyed the beta, and will likely be playing more to test other weapons and so on, so if anyone needs a hand with explanations or hunting I can try to help out.

Lastly to give an appreciation of the amount and size of monsters in past MH games, here's a vid :smashin:

Another beta before launch, 19th - 22nd Jan: Monster Hunter on Twitter

Not sure if there's going to be a 4th mission, rumours seem split, but probably don't delete your old beta if you want another go.

EDIT: Japanese livestream breakdown, with English commentary. They show the lobby stuff about 11 mins in:

Last edited:
I gave this beta a go and though certainly interesting, i don't think it gels with me and my taste in games.

and on that earth-shattering news...

i'll get my coat :)

I gave this beta a go and though certainly interesting, i don't think it gels with me and my taste in games.
Coolness.

I will say, to anyone who tries the beta/demo, that it's only a slice of what you do. It misses out on the more tactical elements, the crafting, looting, the social stuff. The combat at higher levels is more like Dark Souls (and predates it) so is a lot about observation of enemy moves, timing attacks, dodging, hitting weakspots, and so on.

Here's a video which gives a good overall intro to the series, and MHW:

I'll probably watch people play it on twitch and see if it piques my curiosity any further.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom