Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Any word on the performance? I'll be picking this up for sure, but if the PS4 version isn't up to snuff I'll probably wait for the PC version.
I was going to go PC but don't fancy waiting another 8 months!

I was going to go PC but don't fancy waiting another 8 months!
That's how I feel too, but I've bought enough games to know that the wait for a better PC version is always worth it when it can't play at a locked 30fps.

That's how I feel too, but I've bought enough games to know that the wait for a better PC version is always worth it when it can't play at a locked 30fps.
Its coming at silly season. So sure i'll be playing some other big hitter at that point. Will see though, i've been known to double dip, as well as buying games on 2 platforms :)

Good few hours on this tonight. A few hunts and an expedition and a few side quests. Got my bone great sword thingy upgraded. Whilst the combat is a tad clunky, it's great fun keep chasing your prey when it gives it the legs. Overall I like the whole setup of the camp and the structure of it all so far. I'll try and get some more time on it over the weekend all being well :)

Any word on the performance? I'll be picking this up for sure, but if the PS4 version isn't up to snuff I'll probably wait for the PC version.
60 fps option on the PS4 Pro. Expect it's locked 30 on standard.

They talk about that stuff a little in this review:
Monster Hunter: World Review

So i'm not sure on how to get multiplayer working easiest?

Best option may be to start a private session; send out the ID code, so people can instance in the same lobby; then invite to "Munter Hunters".

After you're in the squad, at that point onwards you can join much easier, by starting into a squad lobby, without needing codes. Ditto using SOS to get help from fellow AVFers.
At least i think that's how it works.

Can I get an invite to the squad have just picked up the game should be on from tomorrow

PSN is Lestat11

had a few hours on this last night, enjoyed it, got to the start of the second area. I do like the lobby system (with 16 players), going about your business then throwing a flare up when things get tough, seeing the help arrive, then getting the kill felt good. PSN kept throwing a bit of a wobbler though which wasn't ideal.

I have not done it but I believe you can all congregate in the airship, hang out plan what missions/monsters to do etc. I used to love doing that with PSO on the dreamcast, would spend hours just hanging out (I had unlimited free serve tinny), it mainly Americans as they had a broadband adapter. pissed my mother off though as she could never get on the phone.

I considered waiting for PC but I couldn't even wait the month or so for Destiny lol. I have tried all the modes, I prefer performance mode as I had noticed the odd slowdown when set to quality and resolution.

If you would like to add me to the squad my PSN is chopples

cheers

All the footage I've watched show the Monsters and players being absorbed into or passing through scenery. Does that happen a lot because it's the one thing that really annoys me.

I played the beta about a month or so ago but thought it felt a bit clunky or something plus it was all very weird and Japanesey.
Take it the full game is just the same and it's probably not for me?
Destiny 2's on it's arse so would like a new 'group up game' but not sure if this is it or not

it was all very weird and Japanesey.

This, just dont get on with Japanesey games.....not my bag and the weird titles, characters and story (if there is one) are just annoying. Same with Nintendo Games - last one I liked was the original marios bros on my Atari2600!

Everyone likes different stuff I guess.

Really enjoying it at the moment. It's good fun and pretty easy to understand what's going on etc. Had some good hunts last night.

I'm enjoying this too. Not sure what you have to spend your money on though. I keep completing quests getting paid and have nothing to spend it on. Over 24k now with a box full of stuff to craft with too. Maybe at a later stage it costs a lot more to upgrade?

I dipped in - decided not to wait for the PC version... what is the clan called / please can i get an invite? would love to go a hunting!

re: "clunky" i'd say it's only clunky because combat is thoughtful, and not button-spammy. It's not God of War with flashy combos going off everywhere (well except maybe insect glaive), but more like Dark Souls' heaviest weapons: where you must ponder the enemies movement carefully, and only attack when it's safe to do so.

Until it clicks, it can seem clunky, but once you pick a weapon you like, it starts to flow a lot better.

Can I get an invite to the squad have just picked up the game should be on from tomorrow
Sure.

Current squad:

Foster
DaddyPig
Cha1ky

Pending
(seems like easiest way is to add someone as a PSN Friend, wait until they're online, then invite to game, then invite to squad. After that you can use the squad session at the main menu):
AddyB
Lestat11
Zero_Echo99
chopples

HawkLord? Any others?

Thanks Stinja accepted your friends request got to work tonight i should be on quite a bit tomorrow

Last edited:
Well, that was a bottom clenching fight to end the night with.

I am pretty sure that the Anjanath had scaled up closer to your level @Stinja as it was hitting myself and @Cha1ky like a train. I needed a lie down after that :)

Wonderful game though, even though I often fall into the ‘mash all buttons’ mode when I panic, but the tools are all there to string together some great flowing combos, etc. Though I am still a complete nubcake at the game, I am slowly fumbling around new features I find.

Well, that was a bottom clenching fight to end the night with.

I am pretty sure that the Anjanath had scaled up closer to your level @Stinja as it was hitting myself and @Cha1ky like a train. I needed a lie down after that :)

Wonderful game though, even though I often fall into the ‘mash all buttons’ mode when I panic, but the tools are all there to string together some great flowing combos, etc. Though I am still a complete nubcake at the game, I am slowly fumbling around new features I find.
Yeah it was tough going that one!

Need to dome so research on half the stuff as i've no idea what it is or how to do it!

Good Resource here: Kiranico - Monster Hunter World Game Resource

Kinsects are part of one of the weapons it seems.

Insect Glaive

Last edited:
Beat some electric white monster last night. That was a good battle. I've now got to go after a T rex lookalike. Doing some investigations and sides as I go. Tried a bow and twin blades but so far I prefer the big bone sword.

Well, that was a bottom clenching fight to end the night with. ... it was hitting myself and @Cha1ky like a train.

Obvious solution: don't get hit :smashin: ;)

Not sure, but armour (defence + resistances) I think makes a big difference to damage?
When I was wearing white rarity armour (maybe 30-40 def) I was getting 1-shot by some stuff. Going up to the next level (100-ish) made things hurt less.
Green rarity is like 150+ def, so I guess that will be another big jump in protection.

The game is introducing extra little mechanics too, so the game at the start isn't all you see.

Going up to the next level (100-ish) made things hurt less.
Green rarity is like 150+ def, so I guess that will be another big jump in protection.
Needed that mission to go up to the next level :)

Hoping to get back on this soon, seems u are all having fun. one of my girls has been getting up v early, having few meltdowns, so a bit drained at the mo.

Cheers for the PSN request will accept in the week and hopefully get involved in some hunts

cheers

Love it when you see 2 monsters clash. On the water monster one it attacked a stone one (Barroth) was pretty cool to watch.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom