Monster Hunter 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

To say Paul WS Anderson has had more misses than hits is an understatement. His earlier films showed a bit more ambition but he’s now obviously content to stay within the video-game adaptation genre (they must do really well internationally). Whilst I really liked Resident Evil and Apocalypse, the rest of them epitomised the law of diminishing returns (just rinse and repeat with a cliffhanger bridge to the next one). Surprisingly, I really enjoyed Monster Hunter. You must know what you’re getting yourself in for with the title of the movie, and yet again based on a Capcom classic game. I got what I came for, and actually a little bit more. It wastes no time with ridiculous notions like building a narrative - this is no Wandavision slow burner - and gets right into the action within the first 5 minutes. And then its just monsters and Milla and Tony Jaa avoiding to become tonight’s specials. This it does very effectively with some genuinely tense and exciting set pieces (and decent CGI creatures). Milla’s Army Ranger and Jaa’s native hunter make an unlikely (but appealing) pairing, and there’s a nice moment in between the action when Jovovich shows Jaa one of the culinary joys that her world has to offer. For creature thrills and exciting set pieces, Monster Hunter is a cut above recent genre entries such as Kong: Skull Island and Godzilla: King of the Monsters. If Ronseal made movies, Monster Hunter would be a best seller. I’m also up for a sequel until the inevitable drop off by the time we get to Part 7. I’m hoping the buff cat features more prominently.

3/5

Has everyone that’s watched this imported from the US then ? I’m trying to get hold of a copy in classifieds if anyone is looking to sell

Has everyone that’s watched this imported from the US then ? I’m trying to get hold of a copy in classifieds if anyone is looking to sell
Yeah, as far as I'm aware, there's no UK release scheduled.

Yep - I imported from WowHD: £28 all in delivered but it’s brand new and sealed and comes with a digital code which is either a bonus or something to sell to ease the pain of import cheddar :smashin:

Yep - I imported from WowHD: £28 all in delivered but it’s brand new and sealed and comes with a digital code which is either a bonus or something to sell to ease the pain of import cheddar :smashin:

No worries, I will order from WOW today then unless I get a reply to my wanted thread.

Thanks

Great disc, dismal film. Although Milla is trying very hard. 4/10

Edit, nvm, seems the box wasn't set at 4k for some reason

Ordered this from Amazon.com and trying to play the 4k disc and getting this error, though it was region free?

Attachments

• 20210328_232056.jpg
    20210328_232056.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Had no issues playing mine, not sure where it was sorced, @Trojan can you help !?
I bought mine from Amazon UK which were suppling it from their US store. No problems playing it either. That’s not a disc region problem. That looks like a connection issue with your hdmi.
Looks like it’s been sorted now.

Last edited:
lmao @ the prices this and Love & Monsters are fetching on ebay.

I didn't know Ron Perlman was in it, when he appeared I had to do a double take as I thought it was Will Ferrell at first :rotfl:

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive
cant unsee this image of Ron Perlman now.

This film looks great, sounds decent and has some good moments. But I don't see how this is better than the Godzilla trilogy or Transformers. I like dumb films (obvs) but I'm not sure I could have watched this in 2D. For me this film doesn't have the human engagement of Skull Island nor the awe inspiring moments of KOM or especially GvK in 3D. The Transformers franchise for all its faults, knows how to fill the screen with sonic and visual eye candy.

The audio was very nice with excellent LFE but I didn't think that the overall sound mix is as good as KOM or GvK,

Maybe the fast cutting Cas mentions with no slow mo didn't allow the human/monster interactions to shine. The review pretty much nails it as forgettable fluff with the best part being that it is short enough to not outstay its welcome.

6.5/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally watched this one - thanks for the review.

Picture and Audio quality was top notch. The atmos in particular was superb, with sounds all over the room including above. The visuals were fantastic with details and colours.

The film not so great. Fully expected this so wasn't let down too much. and I'm not familiar with the game.

The set pieces and effects for a "b-movie" were impressive visually despite the rip-offs of other films. The "cat-person" though was WTF !! Always good to see Ron Perlman in a movie, but he looked silly in this one and I had to check the end credits to actually make sure it was him.

! Always good to see Ron Perlman in a movie, but he looked silly in this one and I had to check the end credits to actually make sure it was him.

He looked like the result of a one night stand between Boris Johnson and Will Ferrell.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom