1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

monster clean power

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by skull, Mar 14, 2005.

1. skull

skull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Just trialed Monster home theatre power centre ht 800 clean power . Suffering from mains power interference from various household appliances ( hair dryer and power shower etc ) . The above product made no reduction in the interference whatsoever . I think we are all bluffing ourselves when buying these expensive cables . luckily I got a full refund .

2. Effem

Effem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best way to treat noisy appliances is at their source but not always easy to achieve. Your best bet is to call an electrician in to do the work with regard to your power shower as there are very few inexpensive in line 'filters' near your system that will eliminate appliance noise and I'm speaking from personal experience here. There are cheap plug-in "Delta" filters than you plug in next to a hair drier for example, but that to me is a silly notion plugging a hair dryer and a filter in at the same time :rolleyes:

There isn't a single aftermarket power cord available to the best of my knowledge that will eradicate or even marginally reduce noise such as this.

3. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    [​IMG]

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Quite often the problem is caused by an inadequate aerial system. The reason that an aerial should be mounted on the chimney stack is not just for height reasons. The house roof will act as a shield, to prevent interference from inside the house (and neighbouring houses) from being picked up by the aerial. Also, an aerial which is too small will pick up more noise than it does signal. Lastly, the wire used for TV aerials (especially digital TV) should be double-screened to prevent pickup of stray electrical and car ignition interference. Some interference can come through the mains itself, but again it's only a problem if the signal is weak. I have seen one or two instances where a poor quality mains-fed aerial amplifier will pick up mains-borne interference.

5. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    But would a double screened mains cable help prevent the mains borne interference from infecting the aerial, resulting in better picture? :D :offtopic:

Sorry - hijacking from another post - Nick and I are throwing our tuppence in on a tenuously linked subject!!!

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hmmm.... there is a slight difference between a cable carrying 240 microvolts and one carrying 240 volts :cool:

7. Effem

Effem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting, amusing, great theorising, but wrong.

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Oh, don't tell me, Effem, it's all down to that last metre of co-ax cable. That's the culprit, isn't it ? Chop it off !

This is from the guy who doesn't know the difference between T & E and flexible cable :rotfl:

9. Effem

Effem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No mate, it's your thoughts on the roof that I disagreed with! :)

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hey, what would I know about it Effem ? I've only been a radio amateur for 23 years, getting distinctions on both exam papers. I've also had stuff published in Practical Wireless magazine. But obviously you have superior knowledge, even though you have obvious difficulty showing it.