1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by John21, Feb 11, 2005.

1. John21

John21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.monstercables.com

Are Monster cables really that great? Is there really a difference on cables if the impedance and gauge is the same?

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    By what i've seen, they aren't badly made but they are hideously over priced.
    There will be those that tell you there's a difference and those that say there isn't.
    A lot does depend on your equipment.

3. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    THX Certified don't look a bad price but the other stuff is stupid money for example $200 for a 2m SACD / DVD-A interconnect.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I don't think anyone should ever buy Monster Cables purely from the ethical point of view. The Monster Cable Corporation is taking legal action against any other firm that uses the name "Monster" in it's product.

There are other options in the same price range and better options in lower and higher price ranges. My experience is that if you can find the hot end of a soldering iron from the cold end then homebrew is definitely the only way to go. :)

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you go to the uk section of their website you should find the retail prices in the UK, don't pay more! These are good cables specifically the video cables and digital audio and video cables, the audio interconnects are OK but there are definately better at the price. These comments are comparing monster with other similarily priced cables, a well made home-made would still be alot better value for money but these cables should not be overlooked on a principle especially seeing as the British arm of the company are not responsible for the legal action.

6. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    IMHO you pay 90% of the money for the Monstar name and you get 10% cable value.

I agree with all the others - way too overpriced for what they are.

Go spend your money on something wowrthwile instead of keepin the owner in Sushi!!

7. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at Profigold

8. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I do not remember any bad reviews of Monster products but a number of people have commented on the retail costs but maybe they are a loud minority? In any case there is a lot more to cable than the impedance and thickness of the conductor but that is pobably another discussion.