1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster Cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by thedude, Nov 1, 2004.

1. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,646
    Hey guys anyone got views on this american company and if they make good cables. Surely to have a THX seal of apporval they must be good right?

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    im interested in one of their cables, it a 1m DVi-Dvi dual type. it is expensive but it looks good.
    I m not sure if this comapny started out as a games console cable maker or not but thats the image i get.
    As for their AV cables, well, i think it better to get some idea from other people first.
    They certainly have good looking very expensive high grade cables but i dont know if the price is justified!

3. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Personally I think Monster cables are over priced, I've had noticablly better results with cables from other manufactors/makers costing about the same. The only cable that they do that is really worth spending out on is their xbox component cable, as its the best aftermarket one that has the optical output.

4. lhalha

lhalha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My sig says it all! You're a lot better off using custom made, broadcast-quality cables - They cost much less and they consistently equal or outperform "big brand" consumer-grade cables...

IMHO of course :laugh:

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    May have the THX seal of approval,but THX is a technical spec that has nothing to do with how a cable performs.

6. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just returned from the states and I bought a subwoofer and coaxial cable.
    For the ammount of money I bought them they are a bargain.In my opinion they are very good cables.

7. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Im with this guy, if it dosnt measure better it isnt better :lesson:

8. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    If only life was so simple. Cables should be properly engineered but this is not a guarantee of a good sound.

Measuring equipment can be misleading. A speaker which is flat from 20 - 20 Khz is no guarantee that it will sound good or bad.

Cables can effect the sound quality of a system but they dont work in isolation. Designers work in very different ways, the manufacture and implementation of equipment varies dramatically and the results from a test bench will not be a good indicator of how it will interact with your system.

I am not rejecting engineering principals but there are many factors which come into play with a AV or stereo system

9. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cables can sound different, but this is because they are changing the signal. In my opinion the cable should do one simple thing, get the signal from A to B with as little effect on the signal as possible. If yout telling me that a set of 1K Nordost interconnects can do it to a far superior standard than something from Mark Grant then I will just :laugh: There is no possible way that the price of these types of cables can be justified :nono: The beekeeper tells it how it is in his thread. Designing electronics and transducers introduces far more factors into the equation and cannot be compared to the design of what is essentially a good conductor. I will stand by this opinion as I recently went to an open evening and had to listen to a rep from a cable manufacturer try to justify his speaker cables costing £500.00 per metre :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :boring:

10. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    A product is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, I may think someone is crazy for spending very large sums of money on cable but if it improves their system and they can afford it, what is wrong with that.

I agree with you, a cable should do one simple thing but after decades of listening to different equipment they all seem to do it differently. I have no idea why this should be the case.

Maybe it is a mixture of perceptions plus the different materials and the way they conduct signals, the way the output stages of an amp are designed or maybe the inconsistencies of manufacturing. It could be all of them or none.

I have no real problem with those who are happy with Belkin or wet string, however, the claim that if it does not measure better then it is not better is a different area.

The debate about cables will continue for many more years, there is conflicting research about how cables transmit data (M Hawksford & F Davis for example), they all use different methodologies to undertake their research. Harksford has investigated the skin effect and from memory has indicated that the transmission might also occur in the magnetic field as well as the conductor. Davis has talked about the interaction with other equipment and the desirability of a low damping amplifier. They are all measuring different things in different ways. There does not seem to be an accepted way of measuring the effects of transmitting information. It is possible that the lack of measurement indicates that the factors and theories are still evolving after decades of debating.

11. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Each to his own.
    If it works, and you like it, and it's in your individual budget use it. Just keep an open mind....

12. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Completely agree :thumbsup:

13. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,646
    Ok well im none the wiser whether they are a good buy or not!!! oh well im gunna go with instanct sometimes and see if i can get a trial of them and see if they are better than those of say ixos or even thro

14. purple eyed pig

purple eyed pig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just my two penneth worth, but one simple problem with all the fancy cables is they are that thick you can't bend them into shape. I got a Monster Scart when I bought my new TV and DVD setup (picture seems absolutely fine by the way), and it barely fits into the TV cos the two scart sockets are one above the other - when both sockets are full, the top lead barely fits as the cable fouls on the lower plug, and the bottom socket is close to a flange on the TV. At least with thinner cables you can route them around things a bit more easily.

Not a good reason for a cheap cable, but a bit more thought on the part of TV and cable bods would make life easier....

15. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    In answer to the original question....
    I've always found monster cables to sound a bit bloated in the bass department. Not the clearest audio cable in the world.
    As for the Scart/Video stuff? I've only seen a few and they looked OK to me but I don't know what you look for!:D

16. johnnyhonk

johnnyhonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I bought a DVI-D Cable yesterday (genuine monster cable: rip off price $420 (AU) for 4m :eek: , comes in your choice of black) and yep, the picture is brilliant. It's definately sharper and seems a little brighter as well.

I haven't tried a cheaper DVI cable, so I cannot compare against one, however, I think the DVI picture is much better than the $100 cables I use for component. So its probably worth it. :smashin: I won't be returning it, that's for sure.