Monster cables, do I need them?

B

borchgrevink

I´ve recently bought a Sony NS-DVP705 SACD-player. Together with my Sony STR-DE545 reciever and my Kirksaeter (Prima 300?) speakers make up an OK system (for me at least...).

Now, my question is. For CD-signals I use a digital coaxial cable.

1) Are there differences in sound quality depending on the coaxiel cable I use? In other words: Are there differencde in quality here? I cannot understand this, because if the signal is digital, it is just 1s and 0s (bits), and the difference that supposedly is present in ordinary analog cables should therefore in my opinion not be present. Is this correct thinking?

2) Now the tricky part... The SACD-signal is sent via the analog output. Here I use the ordinary cheap and thin cables. BUT, everybody tells me to get good monster cables or something similar. I have testet by using good cables for the left speaker and cheap on the right speaker, but i cannot her any difference at all. Is the cabledogma just a hype to sell more cables, or am I missing something essentially when I am listening?

Hope somebody can help.

Thanks

Christian

If you've tested it out using good quality cables Vs cheaper ones and really can't hear any difference,then I really wouldnt bother buying expensive cables.
Yes,good cables do make a difference,but only where the ancillary equipment is capable of showing that difference.

Thanks. Was that a reply to both questions or only one of them?

There is a big difference in those questions. The first one discuss something I cannot understand even theoretically why there should be any difference between cheap and expensive cables. The second question I know lots of people state they hear a difference, and here I better can understand it, even though I personally do not here that much...

Christian

For an answer to your first question, try searching for threads about "jitter". Jitter is basically signal timing inaccuracy introduced along the signal path that effects the output during digital to analogue conversion. How much of an issue it is depends on the quality of the system.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom