1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster Cable / Component PS2 in the UK?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Doc Holliday, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if anyone knew ANYWHERE in the UK where these are available???

Preferably I'm looking for the component connection only (e.g. no digital or analogue audio leads) they're available everywhere in the US but none of them ship to the UK....

I won one on Ebay a couple of weeks back from the US but I think the parcel may have gone walk about as do allot of international parcels these days.... thanks to this 'war'

Anyway if anyone can help on this matter it would be most appreciated....

2. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I just bought THIS and Im shocked at the quality. Much better than Sony's official one which was CRAP! The Ixos came to £41 inc postage and worth every penny.

Why do you want ones with component only? IMHO this is the best video cable avaliable for the PS2, I've have tried the Monster component and whilst video quality was the same, the Ixos is better VFM because of the 2 extra phonos.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    I was trying to get the XBOX one for a cleint for 6 months. Evenmet with head of international marketing and sales for Monster at CES in Vegas in January. He suggested I speak with COmet as they were the distributor. I explained this was pointless as they wouldn't know what a component signal was.....He said he'd get me one sent over if I emailed him...so I did ....twice....he never replied.

In the end my wife picked one up at The Future Shop in Canada and brought it back as hand luggage.

Good luck.

Gordon

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the feedback very much appreciated...

Confucius, I'll definately keep that in mind if mine doesn't turn up.

bash, thanks for the link, that cable definately looks the buisness could be a bit short for my requirements, I'll have to check, but if my Monster don't turn up I'll be having one of those definately.

The reason I only want the three component connector version is because I'm running the video lead directly to my projector (Wall mounted) and then running an optical from the PS2 to my AV reciever, the 2 phonos would be loose so to speak, unless I utilised the projectors ahem... built in 'speaker' .... if that made any sense

Gordon F, I do actually remember seeing some Monster PS One cables in Comet a couple of years back which I thought nothing of at the time... I'll have to check my local branch, like you said no point asking the staff though.... :laugh:

5. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I got the Sony one via the sony shop and I thought it was pretty good quality.

Neil.

6. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Neil, are you using it on the Tosh 36ZD? I did and I got terrible ghosting with it. With the Ixos, its much better quality than offical RGB scart, which I once held to be the best output on the PS2.

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    They have Monster leads at the Comet just down the Lewes Road from me (Brighton). Not sure which ones they have but there was definately a selection of console cables.

8. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    With a Panasonic Series 5 Plasma screen and there is no ghosting with it. But as the Tosh has had some issues with component it could be that the cable is making up for it somehow ?!? In anycase we're both happy with what we have :)

Cheers,
    Neil.

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    PC World also do a selection of the Monster cablesd though they are heavily reduced in price (some by as much as 70% in my local store) so they may be selling the last of their stocks.

10. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have just got the sony component cable for my Panny 5 series plasma and have to say I'm not sure whether I prefer the picture compared to the one I got from s-video.

I can see that the image is cleaner and more defined. However I find myself seeing jaggies on text, roads, buildings, dials etc. I understand that this was previoulsy not visable due to the noise from s-video effectively smoothing these out, but I am not sure that I prefer seeing the limitations of the PS2.

11. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Trust me, get the Ixos or Monster. Its really worth the extra dosh IMO.

12. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Are you saying that the component cable from IXOS/Monster will get rid of this jaggie look, as I was under the impression that this was caused by the ps2 graphics card not being able to display stright/curved lines.

Thanks

13. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Well burnout 2 in non progressive using a very good RGB cable gave me a few jaggies/colour bleeding. However with the Ixos in prog scan all these problems have dissappeared. I havent tried it with a great deal of games yet, tbh Im not sure if I prefer WE6: FE with the cacky RGB as Im having difficulty finding good setting for this game using my Tosh strata.

14. dvdmark

dvdmark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear chaps, ive bought the ixos component cable (3com 2Audio) and hooked it up to my toshiba plasma, when i selected prog scan on THE GETAWAY (uk version) it would not allow prog scan? any answers why? cheers me dears

15. BillyNomez

BillyNomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too was after some monster component cables to route ps2 to Panny with component in.
    Official Sony ones here were rare and the monster ones even more so they were usually the audio sort.
    Saw some of the latter in Florida earlier this year - quite hard to get in parts of the States too at just over £50.

'Ummd and arrd' about bringing a crate home but eventually settled for some third party UK cables that work well, better defined picture, sharper with most games over scart but a decent digital tv does show some of the processing flaws in the relatively old ps2.
    Research on the web showed the monsters ( Gamelink 400 ?? ) were the cable, certainly solid and long but worth all that money ?Maybe on high end equip the difference would show up.
    BRBN

16. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sony ones can be found via the Sony Website.