1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster Cable brand DVI to HDMI cable ? or cheap brand ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by FrostyBeers, Sep 18, 2005.

1. FrostyBeers

FrostyBeers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was over at my local video superstore yesterday and saw a Monster Cable brand HDMI to DVI cable - I can't recall how long it was but I'd guess 4 feet long.

The cable was..... $169.99

Now, I was doing some searching and am finding
    simular cables that very inexpensive vs the Monster Cable brand.

For example there is a StarTech brand cable that is only $19 !

see here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GRUIC/ref=randomdrivel-20/102-1996472-1521759

Can anyone tell me if there really is a difference in quality to these cables ?

I can't see how Monster Cable can charge so much for their cables.

Even Belkin has one that is $99 ....
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/detail~dpno~503415.asp

Any of your thoughs appreciated on this .

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for analogue signals, yes a decent cable can make a difference.

For digital though as per HDMI / DVI then I've yet to tell a difference between cheap/mid range/high end cable

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Depends on how long a cable you need and also the bandwidth you need. Up to 5m (15 feet) then cheap ones are usually okay, going above that you begin to run into problems with the 'sparklies', which appear as the name implies as a sparkling effect as pixels momentarily change colour, due to the introduction of noise .. this is especially true as you increase the bandwidth you need, eg. 720p or 1080p.

Since you're quoting '$' prices I'm assuming you're in the US so can't offer suggestions where to look, but you may want to try finding a supplier of Molex cables, I use these and find them a reasonable compromise in terms of price versus quality .. the maximum bandwidth I use is 1280x720p, I've never tried 1080p to know if they can handle that.