1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster 3-way Scart Adapter problem - please help!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by theo cupier, Jan 12, 2005.

1. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Just bought myself one of these 3-way scart adapters from Comet. It is replacing a 4-way Vivicano auto switcher which has faulty connections on some of the input slots.

However, when I use the new Monster adapter I am not getting any signal into my TV. Can anyone point out the obvious things I'm bound to have missed?

The adapter is meant to be working with my DVD player (which I plug in to the DVD slot) and my Pace Sky digibox, which I plug either in to the Video or Aux slot.

Both of these devices work fine when connected directly to the TV's AV1 slot. They also work fine when connected by the working slots of my Vivicano box (and then onwards to AV1), however via the Monster adapter I get NO signal to the TV when using any of the slots for any device. I've tried plugging each device in separately and together and all combinations of on/off but to no avail.

The monster adapter is not powered whilst the old Vivicano one is powered. I had assumed it was as easy to use the Monster one as plug the inputs in and then plug the adapter in to my AV1 slot on the TV but apparently not.

What am I missing (other than a brain)?

Thanks in advance

Theo

2. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Sounds as if it is broken, to me. Get it exchanged - should be easy to demonstrate the problem to the guys at Comet.

3. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi mate do you know if the 3 scarts on the box are all rgb enabled??

what make is your tv?

ty

4. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Just gone and replaced this with an identical one and - hey presto - exactly the same problem on the second unit! :thumbsdow

Is it co-incidence / bad luck? A bad batch of connectors sent to this branch of Comet? :rolleyes:

Or am I doing something fundamentally stupid? :suicide:

Any productive suggestions welcomed! :D

5. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    You could try it on someone else's system to see if the problem can be reproduced. If it can't, then you can use a process of elimination on your components (cables, devices, etc.) to see which is causing the problem. Incidentally, I'm surprised anyone would buy one of these switches, seeing as Comet charges £10 over Monster's recommended retail price - see their web-site.

Good luck.

6. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    oxygenuk - I have no idea if any of the ports are RGB compatible, to be honest. I had hoped / assumed so. The Monster site doesn't tell me and - surprise surprise - no-one in Comet knew. I've set my DVD and Sky box to output RGB, so perhaps this is the problem. That said, if it's notRGB compatible it can go back and stay back. The TV is a fairly poor Beko widescreen nr28426nds (if ever a purchase was made on the basis of price and availability this was it).

Greenbars - I've tried all the components of the connection individually (DVD -> TV and Sky box -> TV) into the same AV port as the switch box is using. individually they are fine. Through my other Vivicano switch box they all work fine. To be honest, I think I'll give up the ghost and get my money back, stick with the 2 working ports on the Vivicano box and upgrade to the JS switch when I actually need to (spent enough money upgrading the rest of my system recently!)

I know this switcher was available on the Monster site for £20, as opposed to the £30 I paid Comet, but again immediacy was an issue, as was the ability to take it back if it didn't work (fortunately).

Off to wipe the brick dust off my forehead! :rotfl:

7. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The cheapest place that I have found to buy the JS Technology switcher is Lets Automate. I've got one and it's been trouble-free. It's completely automatic, such that my wife hasn't even realised that anything has changed in our AV set-up - just as well seeing as it's a bit expensive.

8. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Since this is being linked from elsewhere, I thought I'd add a little update...

I never found out if the Monster box handled RGB, couldn't be bothered to wait and find out. I can only imagine that if it was not RGB compatible, it couldn't do anything with the RGB signal - although my older Vivicano box could downgrade it to composite quite nicely, thank you!

Anyway, now the happy owner of a JOYTECH JS965 AV Control Center from Play.com ( http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pag...EC&title=171036) . It's a bit of overkill since it has 4 RGB inputs and I only need 2 or 3 and has S-video and audio inputs which I am not using.

It comes with a basic scart cable to use for output, but since this is separate it means you can upgrade it easily (which I am doing with the Thor also available from Play). The Monster box had an integral output lead which didn't look to be great quality...

There were some threads suggesting technical problems with these units but mine seems to work fine (only arrived yesterday). My only comments on the Joytech would be:
    - it's huge (larger than my DVD player)
    - it's manual switching (which has caused a couple of arguments with the wife but has a dinky remote control which I will train into the universal remote I've just bought)
    - it has the world's brightest LEDs

Hope this helps someone out there. I'd be interested to know if anyone else finds out if the Monster box is RGB and whether I'm the only person to have had this problem with it.