Monoprice Monolith THX Subwoofers

That's the 12" by the look, how much was that, they were going new for about £500 recently which is a bargain as they are superb performers. :thumbsup:

Yeh it’s the 12 , Wow I’ve been robbed, paid £600 still happy though

Yeh it’s the 12 , Wow I’ve been robbed, paid £600 still happy though
All their kit has been on sale plus a 20% extra discount for a month or two but all the subs and some of their speakers have been sold out for the last 2-3 weeks.
There won't be any new stock till Feb and the prices most likely will be more so you probably have done ok.

Last edited:
So ordered and put up some acoustic panels and recalibarated the system. Before I was getting -12db on the sub, set the level to 10:30 and re run audessy x8 and the Denon set it at -8db. Upped the levels a bit on the amp and oh my god this sub is good. It digs deep and just enhances the overall soundstage. Hard to put into words how happy I am now with my set up but I can't stop grinning.

Am now sat with a large glass of whiskey watching some pink Floyd at concert on Sky Arts, never been a fan but now with my set up its so enjoyable. Before I post asking for recommendations in a new thread can anyone advise on the best Hans Zimmer to buy on bluray as have been a fan of his music and now want to chill to it with a drink.

600 is still a bargain mate believe me... enjoy it!
Good to know thanks, a question if you don’t mind do I need to use the thx stuff not sure about it only had bk subs, thanks

Hans zimmer live in Prague is very good in atmos so is the bass

Good to know thanks, a question if you don’t mind do I need to use the thx stuff not sure about it only had bk subs, thanks
Not sure what the rest of your set up is but give it a go calibrating with the it set at THX level first and if your amp sets it outside of the range as mine did then set it at 12 o'clock then 11 etc until you get a good response on the amp. I'm only a novice in terms of all this so sure others could give more detailed suggestions but thats what has worked for me. Have not tried using the extended option on the switch yet but play around with that once you have calibrated and see what suits your ears best. I have the 10inch so only one port that I have left open but with the 12 inch you have the option of both open, one or both bunged.just see what you like best.

Is there any new discount codes? I see MP20 no longer works.

Unless there is an item that is available from stock no point in any discount codes ATM. All the 10/12/15 subs gone and also 365T speakers till new stock comes in Feb if we are lucky.

Not sure yet if pricing will be the same as there may be duties/currency/shipping charges which may affect prices.

Hopefully they will still be competitive and they may or may not offer some discount codes. If there is something in stock you want now you could always e-mail and ask they are usually very helpful.

Well I’ve just run setup all 8 positions , and checked the results now my old bk12 300sb distance was 12 feet but the monolith is set at 19 feet, I know it for delay and all that but I thought it would be about the same, I run setup again just to be sure it wasn’t a bug, I suppose it must be right

Well I’ve just run setup all 8 positions , and checked the results now my old bk12 300sb distance was 12 feet but the monolith is set at 19 feet, I know it for delay and all that but I thought it would be about the same, I run setup again just to be sure it wasn’t a bug, I suppose it must be right

I don´t know what BK uses as it´s lot older design with A/B class amp, but the Monolith has more modern DSP which will have effect on that usually.

I don´t know what BK uses as it´s lot older design with A/B class amp, but the Monolith has more modern DSP which will have effect on that usually.
Brilliant thanks gasp

I’ve got about 20-30 hours of mixed use on my subs now and have to say this past few days I’d say they’re starting to sound better. A fuller bass note and hitting harder as well. Not sure if others are experiencing similar?

I’ve got about 20-30 hours of mixed use on my subs now and have to say this past few days I’d say they’re starting to sound better. A fuller bass note and hitting harder as well. Not sure if others are experiencing similar?
I'm noticing bass where I never knew it existed, watching one of my all-time favourite sitcoms tonight, "I'm Alan Partridge", he was in a lift and the room was rumbling with the lift noise at one point 😮

I had a little play with REW tonight. I believe I have my subs in the best place I can in the room all constraints considered. Seems there's a natural null at the MLP around 90Hz. I did play with moving the subs slightly (I rotated one 45 degrees for interest and even moved the one at the front of the room to the corner where the door is) and it didn't improve things, got worse if anything.

I have the Denon EQ app so I thought I'd see if the curve editor does much if anything for the sub eq. The good thing is I can copy my calibration, mess with it a bit and see how that impacts. The app is good in this regard but the sub curve is very difficult to edit especially on a phone screen. I tried to boost a little around 30Hz and also the 90Hz. Results attached. Green the original, red the edited. I've not had a chance to listen to see if I can tell any difference but I expect the original to be the preferred (unsurprisingly). Anyway, thought I'd share.

Both 12" subs with 1 port open, running THX eq. AVR is a Denon x4500h.

1Port THX 12inch Monos-Aud v Aud edited.jpg

I had a little play with REW tonight. I believe I have my subs in the best place I can in the room all constraints considered. Seems there's a natural null at the MLP around 90Hz. I did play with moving the subs slightly (I rotated one 45 degrees for interest and even moved the one at the front of the room to the corner where the door is) and it didn't improve things, got worse if anything.

I have the Denon EQ app so I thought I'd see if the curve editor does much if anything for the sub eq. The good thing is I can copy my calibration, mess with it a bit and see how that impacts. The app is good in this regard but the sub curve is very difficult to edit especially on a phone screen. I tried to boost a little around 30Hz and also the 90Hz. Results attached. Green the original, red the edited. I've not had a chance to listen to see if I can tell any difference but I expect the original to be the preferred (unsurprisingly). Anyway, thought I'd share.

View attachment 1409254
Knowing very little about this, but what is your xover set to, is the dip around 90hz related to it?

Knowing very little about this, but what is your xover set to, is the dip around 90hz related to it?
I am also learning but I believe the LFE channel is 120hz. The LCR are set to 80Hz and the surrounds & heights 100hz. That sweep was just the LFE channel from 10hz-400hz. So I don’t believe the dip is due to the crossover. I think that’s a null due to the room.

After 3 days with this sub its a clear step up from my bk12 300sb , bass is cleaner my whole system sounds better , very impressed

View attachment 1409254

Do you have a android TV box? I have one connected to pc monitor upstairs...plug in usb mouse...and away you go it's like desktop pc

Do you have a android TV box? I have one connected to pc monitor upstairs...plug in usb mouse...and away you go it's like desktop pc

I have a shield tv pro but regardless I bought the app on iOS so think I’m tied to an Apple solution?

Been playing some demo scenes today we only listen at -30 in my 4x4 room no dynamic eq , thought I would try -20 WOW was my impression, best £600 I’ve spent ,now looking forward to receiving my new u-Mik

Be a devil :devil: and try -15db and then -10db see if that does the trick:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom