Monoprice Monolith THX Subwoofers

Are you resetting the BFD before running Audyssey and then EQing afterwards?

Are you resetting the BFD before running Audyssey and then EQing afterwards?
Set levels, measured with all forms of eq off, then done with the bfd first, followed by audyssey. I did go back into the bfd filters after running Audyssey and tweaked a couple of low spots around 30 and 65hz adding a couple of decibels. Final graph was similar to the one I posted earlier but without the dip at 75hz

Interesting. I'd be tempted to run level match, measure, run Audyssey and then use the filters in the BFD. You might find you can use fewer filters.

If Audyssey is "fighting" with or undoing the filters you're applying in the BFD then you're using more processing than necessary. If you let Audyssey do its thing and then add the filters in the BFD after, you know exactly how the filters are interacting. If you do it the other way you can get unexpected results when changing the BFD filters as there's a layer of Audyssey filters on top of them.

If it's working for you though it's not essential.

Interesting. I'd be tempted to run level match, measure, run Audyssey and then use the filters in the BFD. You might find you can use fewer filters.

If Audyssey is "fighting" with or undoing the filters you're applying in the BFD then you're using more processing than necessary. If you let Audyssey do its thing and then add the filters in the BFD after, you know exactly how the filters are interacting. If you do it the other way you can get unexpected results when changing the BFD filters as there's a layer of Audyssey filters on top of them.

If it's working for you though it's not essential.
I can see the logic in that, and I confess to having only a basic working knowledge of setting up the filters. The result in the MLP is good so I'll leave it now until the mono is run in nicely. Thanks for your I input.

I was looking at getting a SVS PB3000, as I read they do music pretty well and as well as excelling with movies.

It sounds like the monolith can better the pb3000 for movies.

Can anyone advise on how the monolith 15 fares for music, especially compared with the pb3000

Get 2x 15"Monoliths and have some change from 1x SVS

Get 2x 15"Monoliths and have some change from 1x SVS

Oh believe me, I would if I could!! I've been trying to squeeze 2 subs in my room for a long time

But arn't the monolith 15 and the svs pb3000 similar prices? Unless I've missed something 😬

1x SVS pb3000 currently around £1550
1x Monolith Ultra THX 15" £922 minus the 20% discount they was offering £737

I already have 2x 12" monoliths which I'm happy with so much as I want the bigger brothers 15" depending on Monoprices pricing structure when they get them back in stock.

1x SVS pb3000 currently around £1550
1x Monolith Ultra THX 15" £922 minus the 20% discount they was offering £737

That's crazy price! At that price it's a no brainer!

Where were you getting the price of £922 from. When were they offering the discount?

Realistically the 15 is more likely to be at least £1k when available in Feb as the 20% discounts have now gone and who knows what import duties etc will be after Brexit 1st Jan.

American audio are offering the last 2 units over here for £1200 this week IIRC which is still a bargain.

Monoprice prices fluctuate quite a bit and if you catch them right you may get sub £1k but don't bank on it.

Already have my new 20% Discount code ready Keith ;) If my 12's don't sell which I am very surprised that they have not already then will be linking the 12" to the 15" via the XLR Direct Output from one sub to the other.....daisy chain method. not sure how It can be calibrated not looked into that as yet.

Get those 15’s when you can as Monoprice are noncommital regarding the new models.

I know they are bringing the 13"&16" models out next year sometime ( probably double the price ! ) my name is already on 2x15's Dodge.

* Use a Y-splitter and connect to both RCA inputs for extra gain. Is this true ?

‘If’ it does add anything, it’s probably no more benefit than what the gain dial itself would do.

It reduces the impedance I believe and you end up with a 6dB hotter signal coming in to the sub.
Useful if you want to increase the sub gain without actually turning the gain dial (sometimes that can bring hum) or you're having issues with auto-on/off and the AVR trim is already high.

But as Dodge says, equally achievable by turning the gain up. It certainly doesn't magically make your subs 6dB more powerful.

Realistically the 15 is more likely to be at least £1k when available in Feb as the 20% discounts have now gone and who knows what import duties etc will be after Brexit 1st Jan.

American audio are offering the last 2 units over here for £1200 this week IIRC which is still a bargain.

Monoprice prices fluctuate quite a bit and if you catch them right you may get sub £1k but don't bank on it.

@kbfern Hope my XXLS400 is treating you well ;).
What you wrote about the price fluctuating is a bit of an issue for me. I'm tempted to buy it now at £1200, but would hate to see it on sale in Feb/March at the 1k mark. Means if I didn't get along with it in my room, I'd be selling at quite a big loss

@n0chex how is the sub for music?

The Monoliths are excellent on both movies & music and you won't be disappointed in the 15" Look at the reviews and performance charts and see what this can do and how it does it with ease.

I'm in no rush to sell my 2 x 12's but want the 15"'s and can wait till Monoprice re stocks them next year.

AA is selling his last one @ £1199 which is a bargain when you would have to spend twice that for the same performance.

Yes thank you Killak the XXLS400 is working just fine thank you, it is perfectly suitable in my lounge setup underpinning my Mono speakers.:D

We watched Logan last night, the scene where professor X is held at gunpoint and it all kicks off. Logan is trying to get to him. The tension and pressure the subs created was immense! When it stopped you felt you could breath again, like we too had been paralysed by the mind control! Epic!

Looks like I have a buyer for my 2x12", watching some Netflix tonight along with a bit of Flac music and WOW they just seam to get better and better in time. I only listen at around -30db which is plenty loud enough in my room.

Hi chaps been away for a while renovation to my house , anyway was browsing eBay yesterday for subs no intention to buy one but I could not refuse picked it up today , I’m exited and hopefully a bit of an upgrade from my bk 12 300sb

Attachments

• 9649BF72-F33F-4F48-BD91-2D91FB68BBB0.jpeg
    9649BF72-F33F-4F48-BD91-2D91FB68BBB0.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 1565507C-0B1B-4295-AF22-F1B38AF899C1.jpeg
    1565507C-0B1B-4295-AF22-F1B38AF899C1.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom