Monoprice Monolith THX Subwoofers

Mr Wolf, I'm still pondering whether to get two of these mono's or alternately 2x sb1000pro/ 1 x sb2000pro- for 2 channel music only- in a 1270ft cubed room. Speakers are 8" ported active montors. Would the mono's blend ok, do ya think? Either way I have about a grand budget for the subs- ish. But less is good too.
Personally, for a music oriented system I would go with a pair of sealed subs. For a grand budget I would also look at buying British with a pair of BK400XXLS.

Hmm I get quite a bit of port noise from my 12. Is this unexpected? Should I contact support?
It depends on what kind of noise it is.
It is normal to hear air move at low frequencies and high output levels. Kind of whooshing sound.
It is not normal to hear shaking or rattling of ports, hearing things bumping together, clicking or rubbing.
Hard to describe, but normal port noise is much more pleasant to my ear and less distracting than both defects I had.

Hmm I get quite a bit of port noise from my 12. Is this unexpected? Should I contact support?

If the Monoprice doesn't have a sub sonic filter, try adding one in your system (somehow) Chuffing can happen if you have it very loud and signal has very low bass that is under the port tune of the sub. It'll be on action movie soundtracks, the very loudest/lowest parts, ie in Aquaman the tidal wave scene.

I'm still pondering whether to get two of these mono's or alternately 2x sb1000pro/ 1 x sb2000pro- for 2 channel music only- in a 1270ft cubed room. Speakers are 8" ported active montors. Would the mono's blend ok, do ya think? Either way I have about a grand budget for the subs- ish. But less is good too.

2x SB1000 Pro. Contact one of the forum advertisers. Example @Tom @ Cinehome used to give -10% discount for AVForum members when buying SVS. Give him call and mention AVF, for duals you should get better price!

BK has only 2year amp warranty, constantly buzzing amp issues. Also larger in size which is eating floorspace in small room. SVS is technically much better than XXLS400 (2009 design).

If the Monoprice doesn't have a sub sonic filter, try adding one in your system (somehow) Chuffing can happen if you have it very loud and signal has very low bass that is under the port tune of the sub. It'll be on action movie soundtracks, the very loudest/lowest parts, ie in Aquaman the tidal wave scene.
It does have filter. It has very good DSP and is difficult to overdrive. With sine signal you can't put it in unsafe zone from what I have tested.
However there are certain signals that can damage it. One of them is square signal of intro of Edge of Tomorrow. It goes to something like 10 or 5Hz with high distortion. I wouldn't put that to anywhere near reference level with my subs. Problem is with original release, it is fixed in streaming sources etc.

It does have filter. It has very good DSP and is difficult to overdrive. With sine signal you can't put it in unsafe zone from what I have tested.
However there are certain signals that can damage it. One of them is square signal of intro of Edge of Tomorrow. It goes to something like 10 or 5Hz with high distortion. I wouldn't put that to anywhere near reference level with my subs. Problem is with original release, it is fixed in streaming sources etc.

Shouldn't sub sonic filter at 20hz reduce output at 5 and 20hz though. You've got a software mixer? so try a 24db slope at 20hz.

2x SB1000 Pro. Contact one of the forum advertisers. Example @Tom @ Cinehome used to give -10% discount for AVForum members when buying SVS. Give him call and mention AVF, for duals you should get better price!

BK has only 2year amp warranty, constantly buzzing amp issues. Also larger in size which is eating floorspace in small room. SVS is technically much better than XXLS400 (2009 design).
yup, not really attracted to the BK offerings tbh.

With a 10% AVF discount, I might get the sb1000 pro's down to about £575 at Cinehome etc, but no less even for two I doubt? So a couple of those would be £1150 compared to the sale mono duals at £779. Quite a difference! Are sealed so much better for music?

Last edited:
Shouldn't sub sonic filter at 20hz reduce output at 5 and 20hz though. You've got a software mixer? so try a 24db slope at 20hz.
That would certainly help, but in my case I'll risk it and keep sweet sub-20Hz content.
Only problematic signal that I encountered so far is mentioned infamous EOT opening. It's crazy, I doubt that many subs can handle that. Not sure what was the one responsible for it thinking. It is much, much more powerful than all other sound content in the movie.
Otherwise I love the sub for low notes, organ music with 16Hz sound fantastic.

EOT intro is one of the more obvious examples of this but I also hear it in some music that likes to have a lot of isolated bass (so nothing to mask sub mech noise). Only example I can currently think of is Untitled Pattern 55 by Bop. It's my go to track for testing sub noise :D

That said, the sub is currently in a nearfield position under my desk, I think that when I get the second mono 12 (thinking Easter) and put them in opposing corners + room eq and minidsp I should have better results

Monoprice UK have just started a New Year Sale (22% off all products) that brings the Mono 10" down to £389.22 so may bee sooner, sooner than later :)

Just wondering if you can get another £10 off this as well for subscribing to their newsletter.
It’s still showing as full price for me, how do you get the sale price?

You need to tell her look how much you are saving and of course you will be selling the old sub so it will cost even less😁 AND of course how much you love her 😍

Just to say that Monoprice customer service was outstanding! I’ve been emailing a lady called Karoline from U.K. support and had immediate response! I thought it was important to share my experience. The 2 10” subwoofers look mighty fine but I’m not setting them up until I change a few things in my room . At the sale price I just had to grab a bargain or 2 😬

Hi Ed they do look lovely don't you think😍

Would love one of these but wish they weren't so deep.

With the current prices it's an ideal time to jump in and get a 10" THX sub or two and along with it get a pair of the 365T THX speakers and a pair of 265B surrounds also with 22% disc. You will only need a 365C centre (when back in stock) to give you a pretty awesome sounding A/V sound system for relative peanuts.

I wouldn't change my main speakers as not long had them and love the sound.

My only concern with the Monolith sub is how it would look in my room. My BK sub looks like a piece of furniture and matches my TV unit also. The Monolith would look like a sub, I could wrap it the same as my TV unit I guess.

Anyone interest in my BK sub?? 🤔🤣
173EF967-2A18-4DFC-989D-9978A69E3BFF.jpeg

I wouldn't change my main speakers as not long had them and love the sound.

My only concern with the Monolith sub is how it would look in my room. My BK sub looks like a piece of furniture and matches my TV unit also. The Monolith would look like a sub, I could wrap it the same as my TV unit I guess.

Anyone interest in my BK sub?? 🤔🤣View attachment 1634263

I’m not sure moniprice monolith subs are living room friendly but depends how big you are going. I cannot imagine my 15’ would look good in any living room.

Had to have my 12 sideways because its so deep , it’s got to go at some point as I want 2 smaller
E80F3F43-B81C-445B-8E92-9CFC1B74682A.jpeg
subs

Had to have my 12 sideways because its so deep , it’s got to go at some point as I want 2 smaller View attachment 1634308subs

Yup, monoprice needs big dedicated room or a big non-average-UK lounge. in my lounge, I have ONE spot I could put a mono 15.. going duals would not be possiible.

I think they aren't living room friendly at all but this is the price you pay for the INSANE output per £ and sound quality.

Its dimensions and that photo is probably why Arendal are a little more sensible too with their depth and dimensions and less aggressive with the driver size.

I have a dedicated room with spare at the front (I need it to cool PC which is in a cabinet for ventilation any way) and my arendal towers are big thicccccc bois). It looks ok. If I didn't have space for them (measured out like an OCD guy before I bought them) I would not have had them. Also my alternatives were giving me HALF the output over 2x 15s. Arendal 2x 1Vs were the half output beautiful space age subs i was considering.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom