Monoprice HTP-1

xsnv

Unsurprisingly quiet...

Google "Osborne Effect" :)
Not really though. I'm not speaking about a new product, more the announcement of an upgrade path for the existing processor. If anything it should drive further sales as the it'd be future proofed.

barnitto

AndreNewman

Not really though. I'm not speaking about a new product, more the announcement of an upgrade path for the existing processor. If anything it should drive further sales as the it'd be future proofed.
I would have thought it could still cause some people to wait and see, myself included.

It's very tempting to just order one from the US and get on with it, if there wasn't discussion about UK distribution and HDMI 2.1 I would probably have ordered one by now.

barwell1992

This looks like just what i'm after. Its more than i wanted to pay but at least it looks to offer a real advantage over just using a AVR in pre-amp mode where's lots of other processors just don't.

Looks like it should work well with the Ncore amps as well given its decent output voltage.

Jase

Distinguished Member
Just a quick confirmation as I have a friend who is looking to buy an HTP-1 direct from Monoprice USA. In terms of extra charges is it just the import duty/tax he'd need to pay once it arrives here?

Presumably Monoprice will just charge him for the unit including any local sales tax and international shipping?

Krobar

Just a quick confirmation as I have a friend who is looking to buy an HTP-1 direct from Monoprice USA. In terms of extra charges is it just the import duty/tax he'd need to pay once it arrives here?

Presumably Monoprice will just charge him for the unit including any local sales tax and international shipping?

You will be looking at 20%VAT, a few percent duty and a few percent card charges so I usually add 25% to the cost with shipping when estimating.

AndreNewman

He shouldn't have to pay any local sales tax, just the sales tax and import duty here. Usually the courier will require the taxes payment before they will make the delivery.

Jase

Distinguished Member
I'm sure he'll already know this, but using a no foreign transaction credit card will save a nice amount on a large purchase like this.

Yes, I'd mentioned that to him as I'd been caught out with that before.

oaklandraiders

Whichever shipping company they use, UPS for example, then sign up for UPS account, that way you can track and pay import duties quicker,
Otherwise can get held up waiting for payment

Jase

Distinguished Member
Whichever shipping company they use, UPS for example, then sign up for UPS account, that way you can track and pay import duties quicker,
Otherwise can get held up waiting for payment

Thanks! Will pass that info on as well. :smashin:

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
We certainly would, i keep pushing to get the electronics available to us here in the UK and
further afield to EU.

But again, very quiet, i suspect that it will be a CE issue that stops supply.

Mr. Mer

We certainly would, i keep pushing to get the electronics available to us here in the UK and
further afield to EU.

But again, very quiet, i suspect that it will be a CE issue that stops supply.
I'm leaning more and more towards taking the plunge on a HTP-1 but keen to learn about purchasing a UK sourced option. I had a reply late last year from Monoprice citing "EU certification" as one issue affecting lead times for potential UK availability but gave them another nudge a couple of days ago for an update and will pass on any relevant info if and when I receive it...

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
I wouldn’t bank on it, I suspect they will wait until they have the U.K. distribution capability for themselves.
They already do, but refuse to sell the 15" subs retail unless you buy 4 on a pallet, so that is why we have been distributing them. Next batch due next month.

I'm leaning more and more towards taking the plunge on a HTP-1 but keen to learn about purchasing a UK sourced option. I had a reply late last year from Monoprice citing "EU certification" as one issue affecting lead times for potential UK availability but gave them another nudge a couple of days ago for an update and will pass on any relevant info if and when I receive it...
The odd thing is, they already have CE approval and marking for the Subs and some of thier smaller amps. So we can only hope that they push on with the HTP and Power Amps for us in Europe / UK.

AndreNewman

They already do, but refuse to sell the 15" subs retail unless you buy 4 on a pallet,
What's wrong with buying 4 subs, sounds like a great idea to me ;-)

barnitto

They already do, but refuse to sell the 15" subs retail unless you buy 4 on a pallet, so that is why we have been distributing them. Next batch due next month.

The odd thing is, they already have CE approval and marking for the Subs and some of thier smaller amps. So we can only hope that they push on with the HTP and Power Amps for us in Europe / UK.

I do hope you are able to figure something out with them regarding distribution.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
OK, Who wants a laugh?

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
According to Monoprice EU, the factory that makes the HTP-1 had a serious fire and most of the Monolith THX range (assuming just electronics) will not be available to EU/UK for any time soon (possibly the whole of 2021)

Now, I know there was a serious fire at one of the key DAC Chip manufacturers last year, so maybe that is where the Monoprice stuff was being made, who knows, but if it becomes available then it will come to the EU as it is one of the most requested Monoprice its throughout the whole of the EU.

TimoJ

Sounds like a misunderstanding and they are talking only about AKM DAC factory fire. HTP-1 certainly isn't made there.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
Sounds like a misunderstanding and they are talking only about AKM DAC factory fire. HTP-1 certainly isn't made there.
Many be not, but a quick google lists Monoprice using thier DAC's and reworking the electronics to accomodate another one would be almost impossible early/mid-life of a product. So that would be a big setback.

Equally, it could also be a factory in China that has also suffered a fire.

TimoJ

Many be not, but a quick google lists Monoprice using thier DAC's and reworking the electronics to accomodate another one would be almost impossible early/mid-life of a product. So that would be a big setback.

Equally, it could also be a factory in China that has also suffered a fire.
Exactly where did you get that factory fire info? Did you ask more info about it?
The HTP-1 is very modular (like a PC) and changing output board may not be so big issue as with some other devices. But of course someone has to design it etc. and that takes time.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
Monoprice EU Sale Director!

Although he gets fed what ever the US want to tell him. The EU/UK Pricing is apparently changing 'again' for the Subs!

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
Less hopefully, Although still only the ported ones at the moment rccarguy

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021