Encore C6 Center

431511.jpg

Encore T6 Tower

431491.jpg

Encore B6 Bookshelf

431501.jpg

Last edited:
Review here to go with them Jase😁

At these prices they will do well once folks get to know the brand better, They are the new kids on the block over here and just need a few members to give them a try to see what you get for your money.

There is quite a developing band of Monolith THX products over here now after their stonking prices of their stonking subs and speakers over the last year😁.

Regarding the article, readers note that the system reviewed was a 5.0 system therefore no subwoofer. Even without a sub the system tested very well, though of course if primarily required for Movies etc the inclusion of a sub would certainly be the cherry on the cake.

And for value in addition to low down grunt you need look no further than a sub or two from Monolith's own THX range of subs starting with the 10" and going up through 12"/13"/15" and 16" should the need arise.

I'm very interested in this product line so have been studying the published spec sheets which I have summarised below for the benefit of others. I've also done a mini-review of these specs down below.

1642609894425.png

A few observations and thoughts.

- Same 6.5" drivers used throughout so good timbre matching likely.

- Frequency response dB boundaries aren't specified but based on the designs they look like -6dB points, not -3dB points, so the bass extension may be not be what it appears at first glance.

- The specs don't spell it out but the phrase "mid-woofer" suggests the T6 tower is a three woofer 2.5-way (not a 3-way) speaker so <180Hz all three woofers are firing fully to cover the bass. The two lower woofers start rolling-off from 180Hz @6dB/octave so the single upper 6.5" mid-woofer is on its own at the higher frequencies. This should improve imaging at the more directional higher frequencies as it effectively becomes a 2-way bookshelf with a built-in stand. Dedicated HT speakers often trade this superior imaging for extra SPL output capability by using multiple woofers higher up the frequency range so this is more of a HiFi speaker design. I like it.

- C6 centre is a sealed design despite specs saying it's vented. Being sealed and having a (presumed) -6dB point of 56Hz will probably make this easy to integrate with a sub using an 80Hz crossover.

- B6 bookshelf is alarmingly inefficient power-wise given a combination of 85dB sensitivity and 4-Ohm nominal impedance with 3.3-Ohm dips in the high energy 150-200Hz region. This is OK for surrounds with 3dB lower peaks and likely closer proximity to MLP but personally I would not want a speaker like this up front other than at relatively low listening volumes.

- Upper "recommended amplifier power" specs of 180W for T6 and 150W for B6/C6 don't mention load so can only presume its 4-Ohms as it's the nominal rating for all of them. So halve these numbers for comparison with any 8-Ohm speakers you're looking at. Safe to assume this is the max. continuous handling figure so likely designed with AVR power levels in mind which, being a budget speaker, makes sense.

- The use of fibre cones and NBR surrounds should ensure a long service life so the performing parts look like they're built to last.

Overall though I think this is cracking set of specs and an absolute bargain. Just be careful if you plan on using those B6 bookshelves up front - unless you have a very small room and/or listen at relatively low levels I would go for the towers instead if you possibly can.

Looking forward to getting some feedback on this thread from new owners.

Last edited:
Great summary Mr Wolf thank you for your efforts :thumbsup:

The performance graphs are on our site and the US Monoprice site.

Great summary Mr W. combined with the review KBF posted up from Sound & Vision, I agree that they have the makings of a great range.

I am trying to get a set into AVF for review.

This warning on their web page alarmed me a little.
£1299 for the 2x towers & the centre looks like a bargain.
2022-01-19 18_01_30-Monolith Encore T6 Tower Speaker and 7 more pages - Personal - Microsoft ...jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 1639640
Good spot. Just looked it up - it’s a PVC softener so it’s probably used in the vinyl wrap on the cabinets. Its use appears to have been banned in certain products in some countries due to health risks. A speaker isn’t handled very often so I imagine it poses a low risk here but it’s still concerning.

View attachment 1639640

I've seen this warning somewhere else - it's a standard HSE warning in California IIRC, although I don't recall where I saw it, but it was somewhere else non-obvious.

And the reality is you're already mega-exposed to plastics, endocrine disruptors etc - just like everyone else

- B6 bookshelf is alarmingly inefficient power-wise given a combination of 85dB sensitivity and 4-Ohm nominal impedance with 3.3-Ohm dips in the high energy 150-200Hz region. This is OK for surrounds with 3dB lower peaks and likely closer proximity to MLP but personally I would not want a speaker like this up front other than at relatively low listening volumes.

Overall though I think this is cracking set of specs and an absolute bargain. Just be careful if you plan on using those B6 bookshelves up front - unless you have a very small room and/or listen at relatively low levels I would go for the towers instead if you possibly can.

I don´t think it will be issue for most folks looking low cost living room system as there is lot of people with similar spec speakers having blast without issues. I doubt these would be going for dedicated room where the listening volumes are typically much higher. There is the 365 THX range for that!

Measurements were fine apart from the dip at 9kHz. These are sold also for low prices in US so i don´t think anyone can be too vocal knowing the company needs to make some profit still. Bang for buck is strong and the feedback from folks who has heard them has been good. Not Arendal killers, but cleary very good option for folks looking inexpensive speakers.

Hi all, sorry if this has been posted elsewhere already...

They have introduced a smaller range of Encore, the T5, B5 and C5. You can see them on the US site.

P.S. Look at the sensitivity of the bookshelves :facepalm:

7kg for bookshelf is pretty heavy so that's usually a sign of quality

Price for single or pair?

Last edited by a moderator:
7kg for bookshelf is pretty heavy so that's usually a sign of quality

Price for single or pair?

Single

Just looked them up - they’re THX “Compact“ certified which is for rooms <1,000Ft3 and <8Ft seating distance.

81db is lowest ever Ive seen
Me too. If I wanted dinky satellite speakers like this I think I’d just get some JBL Control Ones which are 90dB sensitivity and £70 a pair tops.

This is Monoprice .com and not available in UK

Monoprice prices are crazy there T6 towers are only £170 each, I’m very tempted, I’ve even thought about getting 2 c6 centres for left and right

Monoprice prices are crazy there T6 towers are only £170 each, I’m very tempted, I’ve even thought about getting 2 c6 centres for left and right

I'd get the matching to the center that is paramount.

If you want to get different surround or back speakers ok but for LCR get same range

It's a real shame that you hear little about the Encore range and that I imagine sales have been lackluster as they are not on most peoples radar. If I only had a need for another set of speakers I would not hesitate to get a set of the towers as there can't be much out there to touch them at this price.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom