Monopole Vs Dipole

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by The WB, Aug 6, 2006.

1. The WB

The WB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im thinking of getting b&w ds6 s3 which are dipole speakers for surrounds and surround back. they can be changed as they have a setiing for monopole. most sales people i speak to recommend the dipole but i prefer to speak to you guys who have more knowledge and maybe even a set of dipole speakers if you can tell me which is the best way to go. it's 100% used for theatre.

Thankyou :)

2. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Depends on personal preference and usage mate. Personaly I like them a few feet above my head and a few feet further back from the listening position. Although if you have a decent sized area behind ur listening position then they can work equally well on the back wall. Pays to experiment, a few hours spent testing is better than sitting and wondering.

As for using either di or bi in certain setups, I think many people like di poles as side surrounds, and bi poles as rear surrounds, but dont quote me on that lol.

3. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Most 'sales' people are obviously recommending dipole for a reason then, as i would. A more diffuse sound at the rear is less distracting and more enveloping. But there are some people who prefer a more precise sound behind them, but that creates more of a 'sweet spot' listening area. Personally, i use tripole, which gets the best of both :)

Of course, it is personal choice.

4. The WB

The WB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i will have bipole for the surround and shoud i switch the bipole to monopole for the surround back( The speakers can cater for that). unfortunaltey due to hometheatre lounge size i will be sitting against the wall will it affect the sound?

5. Rob Sinden

Rob Sinden
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,093
    Try M&K's tripoles for direct and diffused soundfield at the same time.

They are what all the big film makers use and I've not heard anything to touch them.