1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monopods

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Thomas Gee, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Thomas Gee

Thomas Gee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently using a Nikon D50 DSLR with a 18-55mm & a 70-300mm lenses and I have also a Manfrotto 190B with 141RC tripod. As I will be going for a short holiday with my family to China and I will have great difficulty in bringing my tripod over, I intend to get a monopod for my travel. I have already selected either the 680 or the 676 (both Manfrotto models) with a small ball head. Which would be more suitable in the long run? I intend to put the monopod in my check-in luggage.

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,882
    What's the difference between the two you mention?

3. Thomas Gee

Thomas Gee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 676 is thinner, shorter by about 3 cm before it is fully extended and lighter. The 676 can bear a maximum weight of 4 kg while the 680 maximum weight is about 8 kg. The price difference is about USD11.

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,882
    I would go with the 676.......it is an updated version of an earlier model I once had (and which I sold on eBay last Jan...and now regret :( )
    It has just the right combination of size, strength and portability.
    Enjoy your trip. :smashin:

5. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    www.feisol.com ... super light/rigid carbon fibre, essential for sensible travelling, and HIGHLY recommended range. I just ordered their Mono to replace my ex Feisol tripod. A1 build and functionality. The Manfrotto 488 RC2 is superb value ballhead and can be used on tripod or monopod (just clamp the panning action). Costs around £60 delivered. Feisol is $70 direct from maker.

6. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    or for something a little smaller and lighter try a 484 RC2, usually go for about 30-40 quid.

7. Thomas Gee

Thomas Gee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally bought a Manfrotto 676B monopod with a 484RC2 ball head. Initially I got a 482 ball head but I have great difficulty in attaching the body to the head and I went back to the shop to chane for the 484RC2 head. I hope I have made the right choice as now the head is heavier than the pod itself.