Monopod, with feet or without?

Alex442

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've seen that some monopods come with feet and some don't. I'm wondering if it's worth paying extra for this feature. I take it that with the feet the monopod can be locked from moving left and right and you can get smoother shots? Some tripods come with these 'feetless monopods' built in, so, as I need a tripod too I don't know whether I should pay an extra tenner for one of these or pay extra and get a seperate monopod with some feet action. Thanks

Last edited:
Of course it comes down to individual choice, but you can't (safely) leave a monopod standing while you are sorting out mics and lights (even one with feet). I often compromise by simply putting a tripod's legs together in a kind of 'monopod mode', this way you can always open them out to leave it standing on it's own when necessary. You can set two of the legs shorter if you don't want them touching the ground all at once. Unless you are carrying it over long distances, a tripod is preferable. IMHO, feet on a monopod is just another thing to faff about with :)

Unless you are carrying it over long distances, a tripod is preferable. IMHO, feet on a monopod is just another thing to faff about with :)
It has to be "horses for courses". A tripod is a perfect support for any camera but I tend to prefer a monopod because it is easy to carry, gives good support to the camera and, in my case, acts as a trekking pole. I carry a length of Velcro tape and I use this to strap the monopod to railings, small trees or anything firm as needed. Unfortunately my tripod is quite heavy so I cannot carry it far, my mono has been everywhere with me.

Thanks @Terfyn. Portability isn't a huge concern for me. The main thing I'm being swayed by is whether a monopod can offer more versatility in terms of shooting. I watched a video where a guy was doing some nifty overhead shots and also hanging the camera low to the pavement and walking along holding the bottom off the monopod. Do you guys think you can be more creative with a monopod? I found what @Emerton was saying interesting about being able to adjust the legs of the tripod to get the same height as a monopod anyway. If that's the case and portability is the main selling feature of a monopod, I'll probably just go with a tripod. I guess it wouldn't hurt to own both though eh? That's why I was tempted by those 2-1 jobbys. But no webbed feet! I'm always worried I'm gonna lose out somehow lol

Last edited:
I use a Sirui Carbon fibre monopod when shooting with my Sony A73. It's very light and compact, much easier to carry around.

Set up is faster than a tripod, particularly when you're at places with crowds of people around (remember those days)? Obviously it's no substitute for a decent tripod but it's much more manageable when you're scooting around and not going to cause problems with people tripping over the legs!

I would definitely recommend the ones with the feet. It's surprising how much more steady it makes the camera and lets you get smoother shots with video. I would never let go of the monopod with the camera attached though!

@John7 Thanks for the info regarding the monopod legs. I couldn't find any info anywhere about whether the feet made shooting smoother. I assumed it did but wasn't sure.
Oh yes crowds, they were a hoot weren't they? When they're back in fashion I'll be ready with my monopod then :) the Sirui one you mentioned looks really nice but it's a bit out of my price range. I've seen this one which is a quarter of the price but I'm hoping it does the trick

Great forum. Quick and helpful advice. Thanks guys

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I have both tripods and monopods - The tripod is a Manfrotto and weighs as much as a small child - it almost never gets used - I bought it cheaply due to a casting fault (which I repaired with an aluminium frame milled from a single piece.). As to normal movie-filming I use a monopod - not the commercial ones - mine extends to 10ft or more and has the huge advantage I can have the camcorder as low as 12" off the ground. It provides a high view-point so you can be above walk-on folk - as well as cars.
I don't think you can buy such a Monopod-spec and I'd be wary of the inexpensive tripods that boast a central monopod - I had one that reached 70" (I think), but the monopod was quite short of this. Also being a four-section tripod, the smallest leg-extension was very feeble. I don't have it now as the plastic collar that supported the leg-splay snapped. It was a design that could have been improved - I had to "Silence" the pan-handle ( as it was rattled in the head )- brass shim fixed that, but few folk would be able to make any "improvements" without a home-workshop. One reason for buying the convertible tripod was to remove the centre column and install a jib for those "Sweeping" shots. It was returned before it was operational. It worked for this task as a 3-section tripod. I wrote to the manufacturers but it's difficult to find who is the maker... and who is selling-on - it needed 4" longer leg-sections and drop the fourth.

Covid has stopped all movie-activity, although I have an idea for a monopod with an 18" arm (Provides nearly 3ft movement, I hope). When closed my monopod is about 5' long so it can be taken on the train, carried about, etc. I never understand why tripods/monopods are the height they are - harking back to field-camera days.... IMHO any camcorder support needs to be 6ft or more to get over the heads of crowds.
Mine, having such greater "reach" was useful at an agricultural show where bales of hay were being thrown onto a haycart. - I was able to film from stacking-height . . . . it surprising how much smaller farmhands on the ground appear. A few seconds as a "Cutaway" really is the "money-shot" - something I've repeated (with permission), float-close at pond-fishing . . . . without leaving the bank.
Another good use was filming soldiers on horseback, where my camcorder is at rider height.
At steam Fairs, a high-shot of the Engine+Crew is so much better than being rooted to tripod-levels.

BUT the choice of tri-/-mono should depend on your filming activity.

Yet, somehow a tripod does appear to be more popular.

Hope that helps.

Cheers H

Thanks @12harry for the detailed reply, it's much appreciated. I'm looking for a really long monopod then, and not one that comes with a tripod. My budget isn't very high so I'm hoping there's something for me, in the £40- £50 range.
Can a monopod still perform smooth panning shots like a tripod? If so I take it they have to have those feet attached? If you can take panning shots I can't see how a tripod would offer more of an advantage unless it's for stability in wind or something.
Reading about how you use the monopod was interesting and has given me plenty of ideas.
In terms of the type of filming I want to do, I'd say it's mainly vlogging right now, just at home in one spot, but in the future I'd love to make some indie films or something, so something versatile is important. Right now I can only afford a monopod or a tripod though.

Last edited:
What I really want to know is, can I perform smooth panning with a monopod that has feet? Or do I need an accessory like this ball head?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom