• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Monopod or Tripod.......

Crazy Guy

Standard Member
What experiance do you guy's have of either of these? I have a very low budget £40ish, can I expect to get a resonable tripod for this amount? Or do i go with a better quality monopod?

Any advice welcome.

PS - It will need to support a D60. :)

pumbaa

Established Member
Depends what sort of shots you are trying to take to be honest. If you are trying to take landscapes, long exposure shots, sunsets, waterfall etc, you'll need a tripod. And a decent one to boot. A lot of the guys on here recommend Red Snapper (do a search) - I have a Manfrotto and Giotto's myself so can't vouch for RS personally.

Frankly, having spent peanuts on a tripod previously, I can hand on heart say you get what you pay for ultimately. I only wish I had the Manfrotto when I went to Yellowstone rather than the flimsy 30 quid piece of junk I took with me, which went swimming in the Snake River......

ive a redsnapper tripod a 3 way head (£75) and its a very sturdy and quality bit of kit, i fell foul of the cheap tripod and it was terrible :( (its was cheap cheap £20 i think) i can also vouch for the redsnapper monopod as ive just got that too, depends on what you want to use it for both have pros and cons

toadoftoadhall

Established Member
I use both, and have done for years. If its nice and bright, and just want to be steady while I take a shot at 1/60 or 1/30, happy to use monopod. Also much easier to take on long hikes, mountains etc. Still use tripods at weddings, and long exposures, 1/4 etc.
What you dont want is a brilliant but so heavy a tripod that you dont take it out anywhere. If you go tripod, get a good lightweight, carbon fibre, ie expensive, but it is then useable.

toad

P-P-S-S

Prominent Member
Which one would be better: a Manfrotto 7301YB, Giotto MTL9251B or a Red Snapper?

Last edited:

TarMoo

Prominent Member
I have owned a tripod in the past and never used it. I went round to see a friend a few weeks ago and he had a Manfrotto 055XPROB which he has owned for years and never used.

I now have a carbon fibre Benro monopod and use it for macro flower shots.

Peter

Mike.P®

Prominent Member
I have had the Redsnapper tripod and monopod for about 5 months now.
I have used the monopod on occasions, I have never used the tripod :rolleyes:

Both very good quality though.

Biscuit761

Prominent Member
Horses for courses, was at Rockingham at the weekend, all the pro's were using monopods with their big white (and quite a few black) lenses - one looked as though it would need a pile of bricks to support it !

Have just bought a carbon fibre tripod (Velbon) with a Manfrotto ball head, a great investment IMHO, have used it quite a lot.

Also have a monopod which I take out quite often - Janet hates it as invariably she ends up having to carry it while it often remains unused !

Bill

existent

Prominent Member
I got a jessops tripod for about £40. Probably I could have found one cheaper online but I wanted to see what the differences were between different models and didn't want to wait.

It is quite small and easy to carry around I think (for me at least). I keep it in the car all the time and would take it with me if I'm going somewhere to take some pictures. But I wouldn't take it with me if I'm going for holiday to another country.

It's not as pretty and light as more expensive ones but
it does what I need, and seems to be pretty stable. It also has a spirit level :smashin:

anthony566

Established Member
I have a Tripod and have used this quite a lot and have just got a Manfrotto 694CX Carbon Fiber as it is very very light and will work better for carrying around.

Orwella

Established Member
I would say that a monopod is a nice accessory to have in addition to a tripod. Mono's can be very convenient but you lose the full stability of a tripod, and mono's obviously do not work in hands-free mode.

In a straight choice between the two I would definitely take the tripod.

bstonehouse

Established Member
I have never had a monopod but would like to try one - do you need an additional head for it ?
I can see how you could pan with just a monopod without another head but what about moving the camera vertically, I would think you need a ball and socket head. Bit loath to buy one without having all this sorted out first. Thanks

P-P-S-S

Prominent Member
Anyone knows if the Manfrotto 7302yb has a spirit level incorporated in its body or head?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom