Monopod + Heads Advice Please

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by drphibes, May 2, 2007.

1. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi all

Well I decided to buy a 2nd hand Sigma 170-500 of the traders section here and I am certain that I will need a Monopod to get good results. I say Monopod because due to me using a wheelchair I found that the tripod that I own can be quite difficult to use when trying to position it whilst sat in my wheelchair. I will be using either my Nikon 50 or Nikon 200 DSLR camera and the len's will be the Sigma and maybe my Nikon 70-200 vr. Can anyone recommend a good Monopod and am I right in thinking the head is a extra that enables you to release the camera easily instead of unscrewing from the pod ?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Drphibes

2. Fozzybear

Fozzybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    Well, I have a Manfrotto 680B which is built like a tank, a very nice monopod. I have a 484RC2 ballhead on it, a cast off from my tripod, which has a quick release plate and allows me to quickly set the angle of the 'pod and camera. There are cheaper options although if the lens is a biggun (I assume it is) then a sturdy head will be helpful.

3. Blue.Rocket

Blue.Rocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I too have the Manfrotto 680B, which is quite liteweight but very study, It comes with a standed thred which you can screw straight to your camera with the option of adding a head of choice, personally i have no use for a head for the monopod as its just used to steady me D80 +lens.

4. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi

I think someone told me that the Sigma 170-500 weighs around 1.3kg so do you think I would be ok to calss this as a medium sized lens ?
    I found the Manfrotto 484RC2 and it says "This head is perfect for 35mm SLR cameras with medium lenses, and light medium format cameras."
    I mgiht go for this if it would be ok with the D200 and Sigma lens ?

Drphibes