Monolith THX 10 vs BK Subwoofer, UK buying advise

TJOY

Novice Member
HI All. i need help in deciding on a subwoofer.
Im looking to buy a new sub for my 5.0 set up. i have a Denon X3700H with Dali Zensor (Zensor 7's & 3's) speakers at the moment. i use it 50% music & 50% for Movies
Im in UK so is it advisable to get Monolith THX 10? The pricing looks attractive for what they offer.
is there any hassle if i need t ship them to UK or any warranty claims with them
OR should i stick with UK made subs like BK. My budget is Max £500.
Please advise

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
BK have class AB amp with torodial transformer. MDF with real wood veneer
Monoprice have class D amp, with SMPS power supply. HDF with vinyl wrap.

I've just bought two of the 13" THX they're a beast

TJOY

Novice Member
BK have class AB amp with torodial transformer. MDF with real wood veneer
Monoprice have class D amp, with SMPS power supply. HDF with vinyl wrap.

I've just bought two of the 13" THX they're a beast
Thanks for the reply. Is Monolith 10 is better than the SVS PB-1000? when check i can see both are in simillar price range whats your advice?

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Pb1000 is fairly low down here

Pb 1000 pro and monolith next to each other similar performance bit monolith is fair bit less at that price..

gingerone

At that price I think your options are the BK 300 PR (forget what it’s called), the Monoprice monolith 10 or the SVS pb 1000.
The Monoprice is going to be far better for movies but isn’t the best looking sub.
I’m seriously thinking about the SVS pb1000 as you can get them for £449 with a five year warranty and they are great with movies and music

Mr Wolf

Is Monolith 10 is better than the SVS PB-1000? when check i can see both are in simillar price range whats your advice?

Very similar designs - both ported subs with 10" drivers, Class D amps, DSP and 5-year warranties. The Monoprice has a 500W amp vs 300W on SVS but sub power specs across brands aren't really comparable so best to look at CEA-2010 output to see what the power's capable of delivering. This shows Monoprice has higher maximum output capability at lower frequencies and at 20Hz which is why it ranks higher in my maximum listening level/room size table.

1647591821428.png

Like most SVS subs, the PB-1000 is tuned a little higher so has a little more output >50Hz in the "chest slam" and music zone. (ignore SVS zero figure >100Hz, it wasn't tested that high)

I haven't heard either but would expect the Monoprice to have the edge on performance. THX certification also gives assurance that you're buying a very nice performing product.

Aesthetics aside, the only reason why I would consider the SVS is due to warranty support (from UK retailers and a UK based distributor) and the likely better ability to be able source replacement parts in the longer term outside the warranty period. Re. the latter, subwoofer plate amps have relatively high failure rates and I would be far more confident in being able to source one for the SVS if needed in say 8 years' time when its out of warranty. Unfortunately far too many subs end up as paper weights when they can't be repaired.

Ultimately both are very good subs and from what I can see most owners seem to be very happy with them so you can't go far wrong with either.

D

Deleted member 901590

If you have young kids in your house at any point another consideration is that the Mono version ones (on the UK site now) have an offset grille where they could reach the driver with little fingers.

gingerone

I’ve just being doing mock ups for the size of these two in my snug and they are just going to look really daft.
I either need a downfiring sub or will need to look at the sb1000 instead

TJOY

Novice Member
Very similar designs - both ported subs with 10" drivers, Class D amps, DSP and 5-year warranties. The Monoprice has a 500W amp vs 300W on SVS but sub power specs across brands aren't really comparable so best to look at CEA-2010 output to see what the power's capable of delivering. This shows Monoprice has higher maximum output capability at lower frequencies and at 20Hz which is why it ranks higher in my maximum listening level/room size table.

View attachment 1669608

Like most SVS subs, the PB-1000 is tuned a little higher so has a little more output >50Hz in the "chest slam" and music zone. (ignore SVS zero figure >100Hz, it wasn't tested that high)

I haven't heard either but would expect the Monoprice to have the edge on performance. THX certification also gives assurance that you're buying a very nice performing product.

Aesthetics aside, the only reason why I would consider the SVS is due to warranty support (from UK retailers and a UK based distributor) and the likely better ability to be able source replacement parts in the longer term outside the warranty period. Re. the latter, subwoofer plate amps have relatively high failure rates and I would be far more confident in being able to source one for the SVS if needed in say 8 years' time when its out of warranty. Unfortunately far too many subs end up as paper weights when they can't be repaired.

Ultimately both are very good subs and from what I can see most owners seem to be very happy with them so you can't go far wrong with either.
THanks for the reply, i guess then then the sensible options looks liek the SVS PB-1000, as i always prefer peace of mind. The AV.com is offering 10 Years warranty on it, so that re assuring. Regarding with Monoprice i guess it would be harder for me to get support in UK as you have explained in the post.
Do we get any special offers from AV.com? or any other sellers of the SVS please let me know :) and really appreciate the help offered

TJOY

Novice Member
If you have young kids in your house at any point another consideration is that the Mono version ones (on the UK site now) have an offset grille where they could reach the driver with little fingers.
No kids yet so that is covered but again thanks for pointing out it

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

Maybe a positive is the Mono finish. Mono finish is very durable and ugly to begin with so kids scratching it basically ruining it is quite impossible.

SVS (and Arendal) have really lovely finishes but definitely are going to be prone to scratches etc. which will stick out more.

the offset grille on the Mono is really crap though. one of the reasons im looking to the 16 as the offset grille takes up a little bit space where the 16 wouldnt.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
i guess then then the sensible options looks liek the SVS PB-1000, as i always prefer peace of mind. The AV.com is offering 10 Years warranty on it, so that re assuring. Regarding with Monoprice i guess it would be harder for me to get support in UK as you have explained in the post.
Do we get any special offers from AV.com? or any other sellers of the SVS please let me know :) and really appreciate the help offered

There is some comparisons at AVSForum (US) that i remember. In one of those comparisons they perform very similar in-room, but playing some test clips Monoprice doesn´t make port noise as much as PB1000. There is also the "sub collector" Mix Master Ice member who has both of these (and many more) and i had to find this thread cause he`s comment is important:

I do think the Monolith 10 is better, with what I call the "signature" Monolith sound. The Monolith subs just play incredibly clean and have a little different sound than most other ported subs.

Both subs have rather high deep bass output, but even if PB1000 shows decent numbers higher up it has been called lacking in the mid-bass region (chest thump) for as long as i remember in every forum. It´s the main reason people have upgraded from it. Something similar was said for the Monoprice 10 THX in Audioholics review. At the end of day small 10" driver can only do so much.

essgee

I've got a bk xls 200 which I've had about 18 months but I feel like my thirst for bass isn't quite quenched.

I've got a toddler so the SVS might be better. Could also smash a monoprice in their but it might be a bit too big for the lounge.

Just not sure how much better this bass will be before splooging all that cash.

Wish I could test one first. 😂

Last edited:

password1

Distinguished Member
I've got a bk xls 200 which I've had about 18 months but I feel like my thirst for bass isn't quite quenched.

I've got a toddler so the SVS might be better. Could also smash a monoprice in their but it might be a bit too big for the lounge.

Just not sure how much better this bass will be before splooging all that cash.

Wish I could test one first. 😂
I used to have an xls200 and now have an xls400..its definitely an upgrade over the xls200.

Im assuming Downward firing would be more suitable for you. the mono and pb1000 might be less toddler friendly being front firing and an accessible port for kids to hide things in?

D

Deleted member 901590

Maybe a positive is the Mono finish. Mono finish is very durable and ugly to begin with so kids scratching it basically ruining it is quite impossible.

SVS (and Arendal) have really lovely finishes but definitely are going to be prone to scratches etc. which will stick out more.

the offset grille on the Mono is really crap though. one of the reasons im looking to the 16 as the offset grille takes up a little bit space where the 16 wouldnt.

True, it is a surprisingly durable finish! Of course Monoprice do quite a few of the THX range in gloss black too though. :)

Mr Wolf

The PB-1000 is black ash only though so very similar finish to the Monoprice. The PB-4000 and PB-16 Ultra are the only ported SVS models that can also be bought in a gloss finish.

essgee

I used to have an xls200 and now have an xls400..its definitely an upgrade over the xls200.

Im assuming Downward firing would be more suitable for you. the mono and pb1000 might be less toddler friendly being front firing and an accessible port for kids to hide things in?
Absolutely. He's 14 months old so will be stuffing sh*t in any hole he can find.

It's really the p12, xls 400 or potentially, the bk monolith.

My Mrs thinks I've lost my mind as I've only had this one for 18 months.

D

Deleted member 901590

Just be aware that, of the models I am aware of, the BK down firers don't have a woofer protected. So, if he (as you say) stuffs anything under it then red alert!

Older RELs, like my Storms have a hard metal grille over the DF woofer.

I'm just warning that maybe a front firing with a grille (even better the ones with hard metal grilles) could be better?

essgee

Just be aware that, of the models I am aware of, the BK down firers don't have a woofer protected. So, if he (as you say) stuffs anything under it then red alert!

Older RELs, like my Storms have a hard metal grille over the DF woofer.

I'm just warning that maybe a front firing with a grille (even better the ones with hard metal grilles) could be better?
Hmm, I hadn't really considered that.

At the moment my sub is right in the corner where the boy cannot get to. But I'm concious it might be placed elsewhere at some point.

If it's front facing, I guess all that matters is the sub points into the middle of the room?

D

Deleted member 901590

Hmm, I hadn't really considered that.

At the moment my sub is right in the corner where the boy cannot get to. But I'm concious it might be placed elsewhere at some point.

If it's front facing, I guess all that matters is the sub points into the middle of the room?

It'll happen when you're not there... you'll put a film in the evening, sit down with your plate full of lasagne and a glass of red wine. "Why's the sub making that funny noise?"

One minute later, "Why is Buzz Lightyear's head embedded into my Peerless driver?".

password1

Distinguished Member
Absolutely. He's 14 months old so will be stuffing sh*t in any hole he can find.

It's really the p12, xls 400 or potentially, the bk monolith.

My Mrs thinks I've lost my mind as I've only had this one for 18 months.
The DF might be more suitable but the driver is unprotected and the kid can potentially stick objects underneath. The front firing would be protected by a grille but its a cloth grill so can potentially be pierced by sharp objects. I would say DF assuming the gap under the sub isn't big enough to fit little hands in or not too accessible.

You need to hope the kid doesn't learn how to remove the grille.

essgee

You can just see my sub under the plant. I've had to block in my speaker stands with a footstool so the little guy doesn't yank it over.

If that sub was FF I'm not sure if facing it toward the TV would be ok in that situation? I'm guessing it would..

20220322_195747.jpg

password1

Distinguished Member
FF shouldn't be a problem facing the TV.

I would be more worried about the kid climbing onto the sofa arm and knocking the speaker over.

essgee

FF shouldn't be a problem facing the TV.

I would be more worried about the kid climbing onto the sofa arm and knocking the speaker over.
Ultimately I'm pretty screwed... Hoping I can teach him what no means.

With the benefit of hindsight i probably wish I'd gone for the Kef wall mounted speakers instead. (I've got them as surrounds).

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV