Monolith owners please help

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Arf69, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Arf69

Arf69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there im looking for my first sub.
    I have a grumpy neighbour so need to know if its gonna be over kill because i dnt get to enjoy my sounds at much more than a low to medium level. Its for both movies and music but mainly movies. i was recomended on here to look at bk subs so was tied between xl 200 an 300 and now i have seen the daddy i need to know is it gonna shake my neighbours house to bits even on a low setting?

cheers

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    On a low setting, no it won't.
    The question is how much self-control have you got?

3. albriscoe

albriscoe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    you could argue that Monoliths weren`t designed for grumpy neighbours so is totally out of your control :devil:

If they don`t like it tough..........:D

On a more enlightened note though I have to agree with Badger, turned down I think you`d be wasting your money :(

4. BradG

BradG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im detatched :D proud to have the pleasure of listing to my films at 50 volume on my Onkyo without anyone hearing a sound.. bliss.

Just dont put your sub next to the ajoining wall, and perhaps he could help you in aiding you setting up your av equipment. Im sure he would be pleased that you are trying to work out jhow loud it can go before he could hear it. once you both have agreed what level you can get away with, stick up to that and you wont have to worry about upsetting him. Afterall if he was to then complain.. just mention that you had not turned it passed the agreed limit and you do sincerely apologise and ask if he would mind phoning you once he can hear it so you can set it once again.

In the past ive always found neighbours are very co-operative when you are respecting their comfort

5. Arf69

Arf69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    yea good idea already thot of that but shes the kind of neighbour who wud just use it as a weapon an go straight to the council an say hes got a loud system hes got it too loud. so if the monolith is out what else can anyone recomend its to go with either a set of b&w m1s or the monitor audio radius. I was thinking the mj acoustic pro 50mkII or the bk xl300 or 200 i have a 450ish budget for the sub

please advise cheers

6. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    Don't even consider the MJ. Guess who makes/made them?

I'd go with the xls2/300. Either is a good choice.

7. Arf69

Arf69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is the xls300 worth the cash compared to the 200 or do u think it will still be too loud for ma neighbour??
    why is bk never rated on what hifi or anything??

8. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,505
    Simply because BK make & Trade there own product rather than going through dealers (hence the great prices) & they don't pay large advertising fee's that get them reviews! :D

9. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    If you turn any sub up loud, it's going to cause trouble if the neighbours are like that.

As for the 300, well it's a better sub for volume and depth, but that doesn't really matter much in your case.

The 200 will probably be ok for you because you don't need the max.

Yes, many people wonder about that.
    Strange isn't it? :rolleyes:

10. Arf69

Arf69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Does the monolith df really penetrate walls really bad cos i think i really want it for the sake of another 60 quid but as u say i mite not be able to use it how does it compare to the xls300 really sorry bout all the questions i really appreciate the help

cheers

11. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    Same as any sub, if you turn it up loud it'll penetrate walls. For the money, the Monolith does it better than anything :)

I think the best advice is if you can afford it and feel you have enough self-restraint, get the Monolith, simple. Even if you don't use it to the max, it'll just be ticking over, which should make reliability better and give lower distortion than a lesser sub. Those are benefits worth having.

Having said all that, are you and your neighbour's rooms directly connected? or is there a kitchen or whatever inbetween? That can make a lot of difference. If you're opposite sides totally, ie 2 rooms between the living rooms, that's a bonus.

12. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +789
    You cant go wrong with a Monolith, even if it is turned down if it is loud enough to feel a rumble then its worth it, I live in a terrace and have a monolith if you tune your sub properly and if it is not over driven you wont annoy your neighbour.

A sub that is to small and being driven to hard will annoy your neighbour alot more :smashin:

Go for the Monolith and you can always just turn it down and for the amount you pay for a Monolith you're not wasting your money at all if its turned down.

Another thing you can do is go around and say "Because I dont want to annoy you, I'm going to play my system and then just tell me when you start to hear it \ feel it and then I wont go louder than that" I did that with my neighbours and it worked out fine. As I said before a sub that has been set up wrong and is too small for the volume will annoy her more than Monolith that is being cranked and with no distortion :smashin:

Another thing you can do is build a stud wall against her adjoining wall and fill it with rockwool insulation that will help quite a bit too.

The Monolith is a cracking sub and for what you pay for it its not wasting your money even if you're only going to use it once a week.

13. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +789
    Plus if you go for the Gloss Black one you'll have a nice little table to put things on :D:rotfl:

14. Arf69

Arf69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Through the wall is her hall and staircase but the walls seem paper thin as i can hear then talkin if i have my tv off. the wall seperating us is a chimney wall tho so i dnt kno if that echos or makes the sound echo through there house. does any one have any experience with this??

15. Chris.Jones

Chris.Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm exactly the same mate. If I turn my T.V off, I can hear everything they say in a normal level conversation.

My monolith is due this Thursday.

16. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    You can hear them talking?

Bloody hell a transistor radio is probably going to be too loud :(

I really wouldn't bother with a Monolith.

17. Arf69

Arf69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok let me kno what your neighbour thinks wen u have it on at a normal setting i might take the plunge haha

18. Chris.Jones

Chris.Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Next door have three young kids and she likes to dress them in leaded shoes, so I very much doubt she will have anything to say about my 'noise'. I'm more likely to get the earache from my partner.

I'll let you know how I get on.