1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monolith for music ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Deejah, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Deejah

Deejah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Afternoon all :thumbsup:

Was just reading the opinions of people who have tried out the Monolith, and i must say it is getting rather appealing. My questions are, would the Monolith be capable of reproducing good bass to a seperate hifi setup for music etc? My other question would be, would it be possible to hook 1 sub up to 5.1 & a hifi setup ??

Many thanks :)

2. sonic65

sonic65
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My Monolith is permanently connected to a 6.1 amplifier and is used for TV sound, CD and DVD. I rarely use the internal speakers on the TV. My AV amp has various internal programs e.g. an (obviously) pseudo 6 channel output which IMO livens up ordinary Nicam stereo and CD’s. Once accustomed to the Monolith all sound sources appear rather flat without it.
    It is amazing the depth of bass that can be obtained from the satellite TV music channels.
    The Classic FM channel can be handy for checking out music settings. Be prepared to adjust the volume of the sub-bass as the various sources can vary considerably in output and some TV programmes can have unwanted LF effects. I use the remote control to my amplifier rather than the control on the sub-bass.
    An Hi-Fi amp without a dedicated sub-bass output would need to be connected to the Monolith high level input. One of the reasons I chose this particular Sub was the range of input options available.
    To connect one sub to a 5.1 amplifier and a Hi-fi would need the use of both high and low level inputs. On the Monolith these inputs have separate gain controls before being fed into a common mixer so it is technically feasible. However check this out with BK before attempting such a connection. Hum loops may occur.
    On my other audio systems I use 8 : 2 audio mixers which makes multiple signal inputs to the sub-woofer very straightforward.