monolith for a bedroom, to much?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Tom3316, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Tom3316

Tom3316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    hello im about to purches a new sub woofer.

origianlly i was going to go for the BK XLS200 but as the monolith is only about 100 pound more was wondering if it was better to buy the monilith on the grounds that it is a better sub and also last longer as i am less likely to upgrade from it in a long time.

the problem is that i live with my parents at the moment so all my home cinema equipment is in my bedroom so i would have to have the monolith in my bedroom.
    would the size of my bedroom which is an average size bedroom cant remeber the dimensions but could messure if needed, make the monolith sound to much for the room.

sorry for the incoherent post and bad spelling but ive just got in from a night out lol

2. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I'm in pretty much the same situation and I'd say more is better ;) You can really give it a thrashing when you've got the house to yourself without having to worry about destroying a lesser sub ;)

3. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Monolith too much?

Nah, get the biggest and best you can afford otherwise you'll always be thinking"what if???"

4. Tom3316

Tom3316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks for the replys, i thought the bigger the better lol.
    i think if i did go for the xls200 like you said id always be wondering what if.

so its settled monolith it is lol now just to find somewere to put it lol.

i also considered a Tanoy TS8 as at my uni they have one in the 5.1 mix down room i thought it dint sound to bad but the monolith is guna wee all over that lol.

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

5. Weidass

Weidass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The 'What If' statement is the same argument the guy in the shop used when I bought my storm.

Tbh, you can never have too much, the only thing you might want to do, is invest in some draught excluding tape for the door and a paving slab at least 1 inch thick.

These things helped me.

The tape stopped the door vibrating against the frame, and the slab stopped alot of noise going downstairs into the kitchen.

Still though, every house is different, and you may have no need for either of these things.

My 2p.

6. Tom3316

Tom3316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    thanks for the reply weidass i think to be honest i will need both of them things and a BFD and all the things that are needed to make the BFD Work proporly but as i a m a poor student lol i need to buy things one at a time lol

so many things to buy lol new guitar, download festival but any way thats off topic lol

thanks for all the replys seemed a shame to get a lesser sub for 100 or so pound less, could spend that on a couple of nights out but who needs to go out when you have a monolith to play with lol

7. Weidass

Weidass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OT, YAY!!! Another Downloadian! :D

8. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    You might want to submit your rooms dimensions so some of the 'experts' can give a bit more advice. In general terms the smaller the room the more chance you will have problematic room modes and boooming, this is much less likely with something like an Xls200 than a Monolith.

Also consider your family and neighbours, if you are only playing loud when people are out that is one thing but if they get really fed up you may not be able to turn it to the volumes you have paid the premiums to achieve. :suicide:

It is so much easier to make these decisions when you have your own place and no neighbours ;)

Adam

PS. You could always ask Dynaudio Desire as I think he has one in his broom cupboard, or is it a PB12, I forget? :)

9. Tom3316

Tom3316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    oh the fun that can be had at download lol its a really good lign up this year cant wait to be honest, maybe we should open a thread seeing whos going this year and thier veiws any way might get done lol if i carry on changing the subject off subwoofers.

10. Tom3316

Tom3316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks for the reply angel eyes, my parents dont really care about the noise been putting up with it for far to long lol,

for my next purchase i will be getting a BFD, and my new knowledge on room nodes that i had to write about for uni will be put to the test lol, but im sure the experts know far more then me so will post my rooms dimensions and see what they have to say.

i was also thinking of it as an investment in a way, as i have the money now i can buy it and even if it doesent sound the best in my room eventually when i move out i will have an amizing sub tht will last me longer then the XLS200 would.

Thanks

11. Tom3316

Tom3316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    just had a quick measure of my room and it is aprox 4m x 5m which all ready causes me problems and will no doubt cause me some pretty big problems when i get the monolith

12. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,494
    FWIW I used to have an XLS200 in an L-shaped room that is about 4.5m*3m in the main (AV bit) and 3m * 2m in the other bit. The XLS200 needed loads more (EQ) work to generate a smooth in room response vs the Monolith I have now.

Basically get the big sub and get an EQ device, you know it makes sense :thumbsup:

13. Tom3316

Tom3316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    thanks mattkhan i appricate everyones input, im not expecting it to be at its

best in my room but with the thought in mind of not having to upgrade in

ages i think its a bargain to good to miss, will definatly get a BFD and try and

get it to its best, what other options is there to the BFD im not to keen on

Behringer products, although ive never used any of their E.Q Devices so

maybe thats a diffrent story.

Thanks

14. Tom3316

Tom3316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    and replying to angel eyes earlier thread again as i did not read it correctly it is monolith he has in his bedroom dont know were i came across it but it was in some thread, room looked similair dimensions to mine and he seemed happy so u never know.

Thanks

15. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,588
    Dynaudio Desire at a guess :)

16. Weidass

Weidass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Jesus!! You think that room is small?!? I must be living in a fag packet then. :(

17. Tom3316

Tom3316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    lmao well ok its not tiny but it has many things cramed in there all my music giging equipment, av stuff, computer, and with a monolith its guna be a tight squeeze lol, got to say though well done for fitting all that stuff in your room.

do you have any problems with your sub i know its not monolith so cant really compare, im just curious is all.:thumbsup:

18. Weidass

Weidass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    not really any problems. Its under my desk next to where my legs are. I tried putting it half a foot to the right to make more room, but the response went screwy.

as it stands, i think my frequency response is pretty good.

[​IMG]

Bear in mind this isnt EQ'ed. The other thing is that this graph is measured from my usual listening position, where i sit on my bed.

When i move about 3 ft closer to sit at my pc, a fair amount of bass just disappears. I really have to agree when people say that sub positioning is very important.
    Also, im having trouble believing the graph below about 12Hz, cos the shape of the curve just seems too 'perfect'. Above 12hz its up and down, so i can poke up with that. I do think the small size of the room helps alot though.

19. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    My lounge is only slightly larger and houses a PB12 Ultra so appart from the usual EQable problems I would have thought you would be fine with a Monolith...

...in fact you should really consider a much bigger sub :rotfl: /* Joke */

IIRC DD's room is about 2.5m square which is a whole different kettle of fish :D

20. Tom3316

Tom3316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    thanks for the replys that respnse graph looks quite good to say its un E.Q'd and in a small room, looks like im guna be playing around with positioning and stuff alot lol although there int many positions it can go in.

i dint think there would be many people if any saying not to get a monolith it seems that every person that has come in to contact with it loves it just hope i do to but im pretty sure i will.
    i just looked at your room angel eyes looks very nice and so does the sub, well im sure when i get my monolith it will keep me occupide for a very long time to come cant wait now lol.

oh and yeah it was Dynaudio Desire i was talking about sorry for not putting names did make it a tad confusing.

any way back to writing yet another essay

Thanks Everyone

21. Dynaudio Desire

Dynaudio Desire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    This is a silly thread! :devil:
    I have got a Monolith in my bedroom with no problems. Infact I want more bass, so my new job at waitrose is going to be funding 1 if not 2 PC13 Ultra's.

Get it.....:)

22. Tom3316

Tom3316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    well thanks for everyones intrest its pretty much decided im getting the monolith lol just got to wait for my money and i should be the proud owner of a new monolith

23. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565
    Hi chaps,

I don't want to hijak this thread, so I hope that the OP will appreciate this question also :)

Is a quality sub such as the Monolith still enjoyable at low to moderate volumes? Is there much point?

That's it :)

Thanks chaps,

Damo

24. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes

25. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565
    Thanks for that mate :) Any chance you can elaborate a little please?

PS, I should add that my question is in the context of upgrading from an inferior sub, such as mine :)

26. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    DD

You'll implode! :cool:

A small room should give you masses of LF gain.
    I don't remember an REW plot from you yet.

Weidass

Nice plot except for the non-standard graph limits. 45-105dB x 10 or 15 or 20-200Hz.

Are you using an RS SPL meter?
    You don't have the usual thick black line for the cal file showing on your graph.
    If you are using a cal file from HT Shack it doesn't calibrate your SPL meter outside the file's numerical range.
    Check the actual cal file figures for the lowest frequency it covers.
    Anything below that is fiction.
    Anything below 10Hz is probably just noise anyway.

27. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It'll drop deeper, play cleaner with less distortion and more headroom, and it'll follow a bass note a lot quicker than most cheap subs you can buy. You'll also be able to tell what the bass sound is rather than it being a monotonous "thump". :thumbsup:

28. co55ie

co55ie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Personally I would see if you can demo several subs of different sizes etc etc.

You may find a good quality smaller sub driven hard sounds a lot better than a large one that is only flapping about producing a wallowy slow sound.

Each to their own but I am not into the biggest is best when it comes bass,

29. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565
    I didn't think distortion was a problem at moderate volumes. Is this different for subs?

30. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Size and quality matter for very low frequencies and high output or both.

A small sub pushed hard is impressive to some listeners because it produces masses of harmonics (distortion) which masks the much weaker deep bass.
    Unfortunately they often confuse this racket with real bass and speed.

The distortion products coming from a small sub do not exist in the original signal.
    They exist only in the artificial noise produced by the small sub.

A large sub plays an awesome bass tune because it produces very low distortion. Particularly when cruising.
    Great for late night listening to jazz or vocals with a double bass in a small acoustic backing group.