Monolith-DF on wood floor

jamiequ1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys , i have just ordered a Monolith-DF and 8033 , it is going on a second floor which is wood i was just wondering if anyone has sat there's on anything, cheers. Jamie

I've sat mine on a pair of 'Sainsburys' granite chopping boards. This stops a 'cracking' noise I was getting from the sub pressurising the floor (the same noise you might get if a heavy person walked on it). It might be placibo effect, but I think the bass sounded tighter afterwards, which was a nice side effect.

Thanks Kelvin , i didn't think of that , i was going to see how much it would cost for a bit of granite to be cut , but think it would be expensive .

If you've a local granite worktop firm, you might be able to buy the piece they cut out for a sink or a hob. They should be able to polish the edges too if you like. I reckon that would be a good size for a Monolith to stand on. I only just had my kitchen worktop done and didn't even think to ask. :blush:

Good advice from people. Wooden floors and subs don't go well together imho. My Auralex Subdude has completely changed the sound in my room (suspended, wooden floor).

Hi Guys , i have just ordered a Monolith-DF and 8033 , it is going on a second floor which is wood i was just wondering if anyone has sat there's on anything, cheers. Jamie

I might just be lucky with my room jamiequ1 but I have a FF Monolith upstairs on carpet over wooden floorboards and it's okay using Soundcare Superspikes.

Other people have had good results with D.I.Y. marble, concrete, slate etc isolation bases and the commercial offerings like the Auralex GRAMMA Acoustic Isolation Platform for example.

The Auralex Subdude that Smurfin uses looks very promising as well for smaller subs.It looks too small at 15" x 15" x 2.5" for a Monolith unfortunately - you would need two costing £120 ex p&p.You could just buy some Auralex foam loose and cut it yourself.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/subwoofers-tactile-transducers/842300-auralex-subdude-where-buy.html

The good thing about the Sainsbury's Granite chopping boards is you can always use them in the kitchen or as ornamental plinths for example if they're not quite suitable for under a sub.

Last edited:
Just use 2 together, one's not big enough for a monolith.

cheers guys, i am looking at the Auralex Gramma ,doe's this look almost the perfect size for a monolith or am i seeing things.

Just use 2 together, one's not big enough for a monolith.

That's one of the conclusions I came to in my aforementioned post Swiftpete.:)

roaduck said "It looks too small at 15" x 15" x 2.5" for a Monolith unfortunately - you would need two costing £120 ex p&p.You could just buy some Auralex foam loose and cut it yourself."

But even this much outlay is more agreeable than riling the neighbours, partners and spouses isn't it? :thumbsup:

cheers guys, i am looking at the Auralex Gramma ,doe's this look almost the perfect size for a monolith or am i seeing things.

It's bang on the money - I have one and it fits perfectly. Each spike is about 3/4" from the edge with a few inches to spare length ways. I have a few pics in my signature which might help if you're not too sure about the size.

I got mine from here: (seems to be the cheapest around)
Auralex GRAMMA Isolation Riser on eBay (end time 22-Jun-10 10:32:22 BST)

:smashin:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
You're right Zorba - you can just about get away with using one Aurelex Gramma - I was thinking about a subdude which has different dimensions.

Do you find it makes much difference , mines going on a second floor wood floor..

I had a DF monolith on an upstairs wooden floor and it didn't like it at all. It's downstairs now on concrete, but if it had been staying upstairs I would have bought something like a gramma.

I'm hoping it will as my living room is on the second floor , i have no choose ,i wanted a df so my 18 month terror can't get to it ?

Do you find it makes much difference , mines going on a second floor wood floor..

I bought it with the intention of moving the sub to a part of the room that is on wooden suspended flooring from its concrete location. For the time that the monolith was on the wooden floor, the resonance was terrible (1910 mid terraced house and creaky floorboards) - the bass was noticeably bloated, but that may have been down to the sub's location, but there was a definite unwanted resonance on the floor.

If i was in a flat it would have caused all sorts of problems. I then moved it onto the gramma and there was an improvement, the bass was isolate from the floor as its designed to do but it didn't completely remove the problem. But then again a thick concrete slab or marble would also help but again, I'd be surprised if it completely eliminated the problem.

I ended up moving the sub back onto the concrete extension of the room and it still lives on the gramma (as you can see from my pictures).

It will only help to isolate the bass from travelling into the floor so in short, yes, i noticed a difference when it was on the wooden suspended floor.

Sorry to ramble on!

Oh and having it on the gramma makes it 100 times easier to move the sub as you can drag it if you have carpet or a laminate floor! :smashin:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom